Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

Any thread about best chippy in Sheffield starts and ends with Poseidon on Abbey Lane!

Any thread about best chippy in Sheffield starts and ends with Poseidon on Abbey Lane!

Totally disagree, large portions - average food.

Ive never liked the fish n chips from Poseidon, very bland.

I can't find a separate thread on Sheffield fishcakes which is odd for a Sheffield forum. Seems the fishcake has gone upmarket at the Stag's Head on Psalter Lane. It comes with watercress and a poached egg, as here https://wp.me/p5wFIX-129 Manager swears by the fishcakes at Tony's of Mosborough, though. And they still do a fishcake buttie.

On 7/10/2018 at 10:21 PM, Brooker11 said:

Totally disagree, large portions - average food.

That's what most folks want though nowadays.  Absolutely huge portions - white chips, soggy batter.  They don't know what traditional fish and chips even look like, never mind taste like!

On 7/17/2018 at 7:49 PM, happyaslarry said:

I can't find a separate thread on Sheffield fishcakes which is odd for a Sheffield forum. Seems the fishcake has gone upmarket at the Stag's Head on Psalter Lane. It comes with watercress and a poached egg, as here https://wp.me/p5wFIX-129 Manager swears by the fishcakes at Tony's of Mosborough, though. And they still do a fishcake buttie.

That's why I recommended Tony's at Mosborough.  It's a fish and chip shop that make fish and chips the way they used to be when I was a kid.  Brown chips, dark brown/golden crispy batter, sensible sized portions.  No burgers or kebabs in sight.  That's how it should be.

We liked the fish from the chippy on the corner of Dykes Hall Rd.  The owners have recently changed but we thought we'd give it ago.  Open 11-9 on Saturdays the notice said, but at 5pm it was closed.  Perhaps not the best way for new owners to encourage custom.

Betty's & the fish shop that came after Betty's is no longer there. They weren't brilliant, but much better than the Devonshire Chippy :gag:

Guest makapaka

Can anyone confirm they like white chips and fish in soggy batter?

Not been to a chippy for ages it all went wrong for me when they started to chuck chicken, sausage and god knows what else into the same fat as they cook the fish and chips in. Sure it would taste better. I only know one that does this but they are in Manchester every time i'v been past they have been queing outside the doors

16 hours ago, makapaka said:

Can anyone confirm they like white chips and fish in soggy batter?

I do.