Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

Try Trenchers next time, never been disappointed.

I have, they are great, another top one a bit further is Mariondale chippy in Robin Hood's Bay..

I have, they are great, another top one a bit further is Mariondale chippy in Robin Hood's Bay..

Thanks for the tip Longy.

Thanks for the tip Longy.

Your welcome Jim, just need to convince you to come over to the red and white side...:hihi::hihi::hihi:

What they use the fat ever since you was a kid,surely it's ready for changing.:D

It adds to the taste

We change our oil As and when needed during quiet periods. During busy times it does not need changing as we filter and keep good rotation of fryers. The food tastes better in older oil but it does get a certain smell. I hate frying in new oil, chips look anemic and batter looks under cooked.

Magpie in Whitby is truly awful, and living off a previous reputation. Whitby has about a dozen chip shops and I've tried most of them. Only a couple are worth using.

I agree, very over rated , to me the best fish and chips are at the Marine just a few metres away from the Magpie.

We change our oil As and when needed during quiet periods. During busy times it does not need changing as we filter and keep good rotation of fryers. The food tastes better in older oil but it does get a certain smell. I hate frying in new oil, chips look anemic and batter looks under cooked.

Good old Tim at the chip inn at whitwell he knows his stuff top chippy! Always freshly cooked

One that tops all them is Dawsons in Worksop - superb.

I've heard of that. A mate of mine delivers out there and says it's really good.

---------- Post added 03-11-2017 at 17:44 ----------

I agree, very over rated , to me the best fish and chips are at the Marine just a few metres away from the Magpie.

The last time I tried fish and chips at the Magpie in Whitby they were very good, but I just realised that was in 1999, when I cycled coast to coast from St Bees in Cumbria to Boggle Hole in Whitby. So it's obviously a long time ago! I'd ignore my recommendation on it then as others more recent experiences are likely to be more accurate - and if they say it's not good, then it's a pity, but they should know better than me.

I can confirm though that Margaret's of Whit Moor near Chesterfield and A Salt N Battered on London Road are both very good and my experience there is recent.

Went to whitbys fish restaurant in catcliffe at the take away section. Had the plaice , chips snd peas. Missus had the cod and little un had the fish cake. Very impressed.

The plaice was lovely and flakey and crunchy batter. With the skin on one side and tasted of the sea.

Cod was lovely and thick tender and pure white.

Fishcake was a mixture of a rissole and our fishcake. It was batter then potato then a mashed fish and herbs filling in the middle.

The chips and peas were spot on.

Defo going back again soon. Pity its 20 min drive away.

Went to whitbys fish restaurant in catcliffe at the take away section. Had the plaice , chips snd peas. Missus had the cod and little un had the fish cake. Very impressed.

The plaice was lovely and flakey and crunchy batter. With the skin on one side and tasted of the sea.

Cod was lovely and thick tender and pure white.

Fishcake was a mixture of a rissole and our fishcake. It was batter then potato then a mashed fish and herbs filling in the middle.

The chips and peas were spot on.

Defo going back again soon. Pity its 20 min drive away.

Decent chippy but the fishcake mixture lets it down other wise it’s really good! I often eat inside the restaurant and have the fish

I'm going to give your place a go when we are up in Sheffield in December, sounds brilliant!! We are staying at the Doncaster Lakeside Travelodge so not all that far down the A1 to Worksop. They are hopeless at doing fish and chips here in Somerset, using frozen chips and frying in palm oil, yuk!!!