Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

There is an excellent chippy which has been there for years in Mosborough village, Tony's, not to be confused with the admiral on the main road.

Owner has retired now his son-in-law runs it now, equally well I might add.

When you go there you should expect there to be a queue and I have never been the only customer in the shop. Which is always a good sign.

The best chippies (matter of personal taste I'm sure) use dripping rather than veggie oil. Though dead white groundnut oil can be a reasonable substitute.

Years ago one of the best in sheffield was in Darnal ..Lomas's I think it was called and it did not open in the evenings.

That brings back memories of over 40 years ago, we used to call there some Friday teatimes on the way home from work. A traditional chippy with the green wall tiles.

There is an excellent chippy which has been there for years in Mosborough village, Tony's, not to be confused with the admiral on the main road.

Owner has retired now his son-in-law runs it now, equally well I might add.

When you go there you should expect there to be a queue and I have never been the only customer in the shop. Which is always a good sign.

The best chippies (matter of personal taste I'm sure) use dripping rather than veggie oil. Though dead white groundnut oil can be a reasonable substitute.

Years ago one of the best in sheffield was in Darnal ..Lomas's I think it was called and it did not open in the evenings.

Tonys is absolutely vile now!!! it ued to be good years ago but the last time i went in instead of doing saveloys they had battered hotdog sausages which resulted in the fat making everything taste like hotdogs, that to mean means the place has no standards.

The best chipshop by a country mile is Shaws in Killamarsh it is outstanding

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/campaigns/family-chippy-shaw-batters-opposition-1-6565895

Tonys is absolutely vile now!!! it ued to be good years ago but the last time i went in instead of doing saveloys they had battered hotdog sausages which resulted in the fat making everything taste like hotdogs, that to mean means the place has no standards.

The best chipshop by a country mile is Shaws in Killamarsh it is outstanding

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/campaigns/family-chippy-shaw-batters-opposition-1-6565895

Im sorry to hear that about Tony's. I have not been there for nearly a year now so thanks for the heads up. Killamarsh is a little to far to take them home from so I guess I'll have to find somewhere new now.

Edited by Tommo68

Poseiden is expensive but a way ahead of any other local ones that I`ve tried.

I find Poseiden to be one of those places with giant fish that are quantity over quality.

I recommend abbey friar near Millhouses park

I'd forgotten about that one and that one reminded me of the meadowhead fish bar which also used to be very good. Can't vouch for either now but I will be making a point of trying them both again.

Tesco chippy on herries rd is lovely marishells in ecco

Admiral in Crookes. Never get a large chips... the small ones are still massive!!

Agreed Excell!

Just in from a night out and wished I'd had some tonight :(

everyone on here seems to have tried all the fish and chip shops in Sheffield and surrounding areas and are absolutely certain that there is a clear winner.

I have only tried about 50 fish and chip shops in and around this area, so I have absolutely no idea which is the best one. I couldn't possibly say, "this is the best ever" because I've no idea and I'm surprised anyone else has? There must be some very obese people contributing to this thread if that's the case.

I know which ones I like though - and why.

If I may start with my all time favourite - and unfortunately it is no longer there - it was the Harlequin on Howard Street. And the reason I liked it was that the chips were brown and the fish was big white flakes in dark golden batter, which was crunchy, yet light and crispy. Apart from the food, the place was stuck in a charming time-warp with eccentric staff and dining on 3 floors. Eating in was a pleasure with tea in pewter tea-pots and thin sliced white bread and butter (1 and a half rounds) on a side plate.

I start with the Harlequin because it conditioned me to think that chips should be brown (not white). They should be big (not small) and they should be crispy, not soft and soggy. Those of you who rave about these franchise chippies and Admiral type places will not know what I am talking about. Because you have grown up with a generation of chip shops that sell white chips and pale yellow soggy batter on huge Y shaped fish with enough chips to sink a battleship. Also, proper fish and chip shops don't sell kebabs and burgers or chicken nuggets. So, if you see those on the menu, go somewhere else is my advice.

A Salt N Battered is a great little institution on London Road, as many Blades will know. It changed hands about a year ago now and isn't quite as good as it was when the old lady had it. The fish and chips are still good though but the guys that run it couldn't organise a proverbial p u in a brewery. Expect long wait times. They also have confused us with their different sizes of things. You can't even order a "chip butty" now without specifying the size. And for fish, they do extremely small or extremely large and nothing in between, but they don't call them "small" and "large". Bizarre really! Still taste good though.

Another place I like is Tony's at Mosborough. Not that I live near there at all but I used to and occasionally I pop in because he still does chips that are brown and fish that is in crispy dark golden brown batter. He also cooks in dripping, which, if you have never tried it, may sound revolting, but this is how all fish and chips used to be when I was a kid and the taste is something else!

And finally, a mention for one of the very best, and few remaining "traditional" fish and chip shops - Margaret's of Whittington Moor, near Chesterfield. This little fish and chip shop, down a side street off Whit Moor, only opens at lunchtime. You will need to queue for the best part of half an hour to get served, it is so popular. Fish and chips in the traditional style and still wrapped in newspapers too!

(Union Jack - Dore - yes, it's good. But it's not traditional as I describe and not as good as these others I mention by a long way).

The above is the best post in all of the 68 pages, good comprehensive report, and very true.

Edited by kidley

My wife nearly died after getting food poisoning from the Harlequin.