Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

what a load of rubbish, good price for a takeaway £1.60 for chips?

you dont mind if they are any good but unfortunately they are not!!!

too heavyhanded with the pepper and the same old mushed up fish in the fishcakes, tonys at mosborough beats any other chippy hands down

I agree with your recommendation of Tony's - but he doesn't open Mondays does he? As I found out to my peril this week! Someone said the Admiral was good - and it is - but not in the same league as Tony's. The Admiral is another one of those, "let's give them the biggest, longest V-shaped fish we can, plus enough chips to feed half the population of Owlthorpe".

and it's not cod either!

Brenda's on Earl Way, or the Castle Market Chippy. Bouth part of the same family. Both excellent. I believe the new one at Greenhill and the Woodseats Chippy, and maybe Robin Hoods Bay, are all part of the same family.

Last lot I had from Woodseats weren't as good as I expected. Fish was overcooked and the batter didn't seem as good. Maybe a one-off though as they've always been excellent in the past.

I have bought many, many portions of fish and chips from Woodseats Fisheries over the last 10 years, but I would like to say that, in my opinion, something has changed in the last year or so that has stopped me from going back as regularly.

I do still buy from there, because I pass it on the way home (and it's better than the red one on the left and the one on Meadowhead) but it's genuinely not what it was.

My mate, visiting from Portsmouth one weekend, always raved on about "that portion of fish and chips he had in Sheffield".

Anyway, the strange thing is - it's very difficult to put my finger on exactly what has changed. I believe it to be the fish itself, but I could be convinced otherwise if someone said they knew for sure. I have also noticed many more instances of bones being present in the fish, which I think there is no excuse for.

Hippo

Well, the guy who did run it (brother of Liz who runs Brenda's in town) left and now runs Joe's Chippy in Greenhill. I think another family member now runs Woodseats but I agree, it's not keeping up the family standard!

Still good but not excellent.

1. Abbey Lane

2. Loch Fyne

3. Bishops Coffee House and Bistro on a Thursday

Best chippy by far is the frymaster at attercliffe (used to be robinhood), its new premises are across road, much bigger and nicer, still best chippy in sheffied. Would highly rcommend.

Does anyone know what the opening hours are for the Four Lanes on Leppings Lane? It's normally closed when I go past, but sounds like the food is good if you're lucky with the timings!

Tried the new one at Bocking Lane last week. The chips were ok but the service was a bit slow. So today I went back to the one in Greenhill Village and as usual was very happy, with the quality, price and service.

Have to agree with you, the Fish and chips are really scrumptious there.

Well worth the wait.

Just wanted to put a post on bigging up the Chip Shop in the centre of Stocksbridge. Historically it has not been too good but the new owner has really improved it.

All food is cooked fresh to order so you may have to wait 5 mins but it is worth it. Beautiful cod and home made fish cakes are to die for.

Give it a go - I am not on commision although a free fish supper on a Friday tea will be greatfully received !!

is this the same place i think? green wood type shack, crap greacy portions. over priced. and the owner has Red Mr2 T bar thats a bit rusty :)

i wont mention how daft the counter staff are :)