Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

OK, its not in Sheffield, but the 5 Ways chippy at the Stag roundabout in Rotherham is top drawer.

As for my favourite Sheffield chippy, it has to be Brenda's at the back of the Moor.

Too true. Don't eat the chips in the dark. You won't be able to sort out the black ones.

There is a fantastic chippy just as you go into Chesterfield from the Dronfield by pass. Heading from the roundabout at the end of the by pass it is down a little side road to the left about half way to the Derby Tup.

Can't remember what it is called but at lunchtime the queues are out of the door down the street. I don' t think it opens at night.

If it isn't open don't risk the ones on Whittington Common.

You're not wrong! The good chippy you refer to is just known as "Margaret's" - there's no sign, it just looks like a normal house, and it's on the road down the side of Charles Iliffe store, just off Whittington Moor (Chesterfield Road North). You could miss it if it wasn't for the fact that there is always, without fail, a big queue of folks outside the door.

First the downsides: it is tiny, only 5 people can fit in the shop at any one time, so, they are always queuing in the street - which is a bugger if it's raining. Next, because it's such a small shop they can only fry a few things at a time - so, I guarantee you will have to wait, and wait, and wait. On average it takes about 20 minutes to get served, sometimes longer. And, not a problem for me, but might put some folks off, they wrap in newspaper just like in t'owden days. So, their hands are black with print off the paper (although they don't touch the food with them).

If that's not put you off then be prepared for fish and chips, like they used to be years ago, like 50 years ago perhaps? Very nice quality indeed.

But, this post is probably irrelevant to most of you seeing as this is Chesterfield and I doubt many would travel from dee-dah land just to go to a chippy because it's recommended on here. If you do go, then best not to make it an evening trip because they don't open at night.

(Oh, someone said "North Sea " chippy on Whittington Moor. That's just around the corner and opens all the time. My verdict on that? It's a typical Greek owned chippy - they serve huge portions and it's average quality. There are dozens of similar type places around - very smart, nice tiles on the walls, big places selling not just fish and chips, but burgers, and chilli and doner kebabs and this and that and the other. I don't like my chippy's like this. I'd rather them do the traditional English fare and do it well.

Like Margaret's.

It doesn't open at night.

The best chippy in Sheffield has gone now - it was The Harlequin, opposite Sheffield Hallam University at the top of Howard Street. For years that placed served wonderful fish and chips - and kept the traditional sit down areas upstairs and in the back room.

They used to serve the very best quality fish and chips, consistently, and they were not expensive. It was an institution. If you sat down for your meal they brought 1.5 slices of bread and butter, white thin-sliced, and a pewter teapot whose handle got so hot you couldn't lift the thing to pour it. And the spout was specially designed to spill hot tea all over the place.

It seemed to be staffed by some slight eccentrics, especially in the waitress department. I recall 2 or 3 ladies, middle aged/elderly, fussing about the place and treating every customer like they were a favourite son or daughter. I remember being sat in the cafe bit and it was near to closing time, I was just finishing my meal. A waitress came walking through the cafe to the small kitchen at the back and as she passed me she was carrying a fish in her bare hands and she literally threw it on my plate. "Here y'ar duck - av that". I was amazed! But this was the Harlequin and anything might happen!

The owner was a guy called Bill Green. He was a great character and used to roar "CHIPS" at the top of his voice when a new pan of chips were ready to be served up. Always pleasant, always had a word for everyone.

I've read all the posts on here about different recommendations for chippy's all over Sheffield and I think there's some good ones still. But, there'll never be another quite like that place.

I was gobsmacked when this place closed down a few years ago. A piece of Sheffield died.

The worst chippy l ever visited in Sheffield is the Chiese chippy on Greystones Road, l was starving and decided to pop in there on the way back home. Big mistake, l ordered 2 fishcakes for me and my wife......next think they're getting them out of a .......FRIDGE and popping them into a microwave. I said no thanks, goodbye. How bizarre!

My other bad experience was at Harry Ramsdens in Blackpool 10 years ago. There was so much grease you could have swam in it. My wife had a "special fishcake", it was special with about half a pint of fat inside it. Suffice it to say the seagulls enjoyed it and Harry ramsdens is never getting my trade again anywhere!!

The best chippy has gotta be Pete's Chippy on Main Street, Grenoside. discovered it when I worked in Grenoside many moons ago & still have tea from there every Fri night, altho it means travellin quite a bit further. Great little family run chippy, great staff n food cooked to perfection. Probably shot myself in foot n the queues are gonna be mega but hey ...........

But it's only open for about 20 minutes a week! :hihi::hihi:

I always use Todays catch, but it has gone downhill recently - the fish I had last week must have been sat in the top of the frier for several hours and was all dried up. I expect that's because the prices have gone up so much and the chavs can't afford it anymore. The chip portions are getting smaller too. :(

The chippy next to the comic store just off the Moor (Alma St?) is pretty good.

That's Brenda's! :D

Codrophenia for me also on Walkley Bank Road

I never liked fish and still don't really but will travel miles to have Mosbrough Fish and Chips on Chapel road/Street. (not the admiral, the one on the back street). They are gorgeous and I have never been and it be empty, people travel from miles around. The owners are lovely too.

I never liked fish and still don't really but will travel miles to have Mosbrough Fish and Chips on Chapel road/Street. (not the admiral, the one on the back street). They are gorgeous and I have never been and it be empty, people travel from miles around. The owners are lovely too.

Agree. It's called Tony's and it's been an institution for years. This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say "traditional" fish and chips. That's all they do - no bloody great doner kebabs, no cheeseburgers, just plain, good old-fashioned, top quality fish and chips at sensible prices and portions.

But, I think most people don't appreciate that and would rather go to a big modern greek type of place, like the Admiral around the corner or any one of its copies around the city.

mannings stuff is horrible and a total rip off for the amount you get
i agree went the other day fishcake sorry battercake and the portion of fish they serve for the price you pay rip off is an understatement, first time i have been in a long time and definately the last.