Do You Have Mental Issues?

Do you have mental issues?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have mental issues?

• Yes
    • No
    • Show me the results

This contrasts rather starkly with the OP's apparent intention in starting the thread.

You seem to be suggesting that people who don't come on the thread to admit to having 'mental issues' will anyway have 'mental issues' but be in denial.

How shall you judge anyone with the temerity to claim they don't suffer from any mental health problems ? :)

Purdy isn't suggesting that everyone has mental health problems! She's just pointing out that there are some people on the forum who, judging from their posts, do have mental health problems which they don't care to face up to. And I have to agree with her.

On the other hand, there are loads of people who don't have any problems and they are obviously not the ones in denial that she is referring to.

This contrasts rather starkly with the OP's apparent intention in starting the thread.

You seem to be suggesting that people who don't come on the thread to admit to having 'mental issues' will anyway have 'mental issues' but be in denial.

How shall you judge anyone with the temerity to claim they don't suffer from any mental health problems ? :)

I am getting so tired of people not even bothering to read what I've written in my posts on this forum, in clear and articulate English. I would appreciate it if you go back and read what I actually said.

Thank you Dozy.

No mental issues since "Holding infinity in the palm of my hand and eternity in an hour".

It does seem strange to me that it is possible, permissible and pretty much medical SOP to banish physical pain using drugs, but to do the same for psychic pain is somehow an admission of failure or weakness.

The tools exist to do so, they're just woefully underused.

No mental issues since "Holding infinity in the palm of my hand and eternity in an hour".

It does seem strange to me that it is possible, permissible and pretty much medical SOP to banish physical pain using drugs, but to do the same for psychic pain is somehow an admission of failure or weakness.

The tools exist to do so, they're just woefully underused.

Personally - and it is only a personal thought - I think that some of the problem with the medical profession under-utilising the tools that are available to help with emotional disorders, is a remnant of Puritanical attitudes - that if something doesn't kill you it makes you stronger, or that to suffer is somehow a 'good' thing for the soul.

And, of course, the terrible fear in the medical profession of making the patient feel 'too good' through their medication. God forbid that anything they give you should actually make you feel better that you would if you didn't have the medical condition you do. It's such a conservative, unhelpful attitude it really makes me angry to think about it.

StarSparkle

I am getting so tired of people not even bothering to read what I've written in my posts on this forum, in clear and articulate English.

I'm sorry to be so tiresome, but we seem to have different ideas about clarity. To me "they are the ones who" implies that anyone who doesn't come on the thread fits your description. It would have been clearer to say 'These people' (ie the people you have described) will not be coming on this thread....

I'm sorry to be so tiresome, but we seem to have different ideas about clarity. To me "they are the ones who" implies that anyone who doesn't come on the thread fits your description. It would have been clearer to say 'These people' (ie the people you have described) will not be coming on this thread....

I'm sorry, Greybeard, I just logged on again after a fraught few hours so I reacted very tetchily. :(

I think it was perfectly clear what Purdy meant, Greybeard - you're just being picky

StarSparkle

It seemed perfectly clear to me that Purdy was only referring to those people who are in denial. The sentence you quote immediately follows, "The more in denial they are, the more obvious to others it is that they have a problem!", which, to me, makes it perfectly clear that the "they" refers to people in denial and not to SF posters who don't have problems.

In fact, the whole post is about people who have repressed their problems, so I don't see how you could logically come to the conclusion that she is talking about everybody who chooses not to post on this thread.

I've had two actual bouts of 'clinical depression' firstly treated by counselling, and then teh second time by a course of AD's which did the job until I was feeling strong enough to get along without them. I know that it is almost inevitable that at some point in the future I willhave another bout, but now I know the signs and will have more warning and be able to get some help a lot sooner. In the meantime, I have black dog days, sometimes I have black dog weeks, as it happens I am just coming out of what was a 3 week blue funk which I was worried fopr a while was the beginning of another bout. Luckily I seem to have passed through that pretty much unscathed.

maybe we could have a special interest group for all of us 'loonies'?

For quite a few years iv had spells when im fine and within ten mins iv changed and feel very stressed and agitated.Workmates and family have noticed it but i think they just kind of accept it.On other occations i cant be around my family in the house and tend to spend a lot of time on my own in the bedroom reading or sleeping.My drinking was quite heavy for many years but again my aggresive and nasty side would rear its head. besides being a fruit cake anyone got any ideas.:(:(

I've struggled with depression on and off since being diagnosed with cancer nearly 11 years ago (other episodes were related to a violent relationship and the break up of it, and my boyfriend dying, the anniversary of which is this week) but as far as I'm concerned I'd have had to have been superhuman to not have needed some counselling and a little time sitting in a hole to get over things. Most people would struggle to cope with losing their health, their career, independence, ability to have children and every hobby they ever did, then going through several huge operations, chemo and everything else- so I'm not going to feel inferior because I couldn't cope without some extra help.

undiagnosed but retrospectively really blinkin' obvious post-natal depression...now over, but with residual anger, bitterness and general ill humour. actually, those things were there before the sprog burst forth, so i can't really blame her for that.