Do You Have Mental Issues?

Do you have mental issues?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have mental issues?

• Yes
    • No
    • Show me the results

Yes, I've suffered fromanxiety and depression but it is controlled by ssri's, of course, the worse one on the market, so that gives more concern for worry!But, the tablets saved my life too.People don't know how bad it is unless they've suffered themselves, quite honestly I don't know how the 'Pull yerself together brigade' don't get punched in the mouth, often and hard!!!

Absolutely - people who haven't suffered from depression and other conditions themselves simply don't understand (or perhaps don't even care) how much damage they can do to sufferers with their thoughtless and cruel comments, and uncaring attitudes.

Like you, Whitehorses, I've suffered from depression and anxiety throughout my life. It stems from a chemical imbalance in my brain chemistry - the 'luck' of the draw at birth. It is not something you can 'snap out of' or wish away if you just try hard enough.

The only thing that has helped me - in fact, it transformed my life - has been Prozac. It literally gave me my life back. The way things stand, I will have to be taking it the rest of my life, but that is no hardship at all. I can't express how grateful I am to Prozac - it's an absolute miracle drug as far as I'm concerned.

My heart bleeds for all those poor people of past generations who just had to stumble along through their lives, with little or no help or relief from the pain of clinical depression. God knows how they coped.

StarSparkle

Absolutely - people who haven't suffered from depression and other conditions themselves simply don't understand (or perhaps don't even care) how much damage they can do to sufferers with their thoughtless and cruel comments, and uncaring attitudes.

Like you, Whitehorses, I've suffered from depression and anxiety throughout my life. It stems from a chemical imbalance in my brain chemistry - the 'luck' of the draw at birth. It is not something you can 'snap out of' or wish away if you just try hard enough.

The only thing that has helped me - in fact, it transformed my life - has been Prozac. It literally gave me my life back. The way things stand, I will have to be taking it the rest of my life, but that is no hardship at all. I can't express how grateful I am to Prozac - it's an absolute miracle drug as far as I'm concerned.

My heart bleeds for all those poor people of past generations who just had to stumble along through their lives, with little or no help or relief from the pain of clinical depression. God knows how they coped.

StarSparkle

Also well said, SS! Cheers.

StarSparkle

Exactly. "Pull yourself together" and "get a grip" are not helpful comments.

One of my "friends" was VILE to me. My problem was the stress of final year, and I was living in halls with my friends- but I fled evey weekend because the atmosphere was horrible- because of the stress upon us and because of her sniping. She would always act all martyrish about how she was stressed too but wasnt running away - but different things work for different people, and running to the people that cared about me got me through it.

by the time I was better I was strong enough to tell her to do one. If someone in your life is making life difficult for you through not understanding your pain or your choices, then just get rid of them.

I expected better of you Lord C. Yes, we all could be classed as having "mental issues"; after all, everyone gets mad, sad anxious and obsessed now and then. But true mental disorders can be easily distinguished from "feeling low" and accurately diagnosed by mental health professionals. Do some doctors over-prescribe psychotropic drugs? Of course. But that doesn't mean that they aren't needed by those who are properly diagnosed. Science has shown that most mental disorders are the result of brain chemical abnormalities and have a strong genetic component.

Few people would recommend that a diabetic visit his neighborhood priest to talk away his disorder. They would never suggest that adopting a positive outlook would keep his blood sugar normal. No. They would encourage him to take medicine.

So, why, why, why would anyone suggest such things to a person whose brain chemicals are responsible for his disorder?

Thank goodness there are drugs out there that give relief to millions. Those drugs saved my life.

*steps off soapbox*

well hh, I feel suitably chastised. I was not for a moment denying that mental illness exists. I was merely making the point that it is difficult to define its boundaries, which seem to have expanded to include all mental states, whether pathological or not. I remember reading 'The Myth of Mental Illness' by Thomas Szasz years ago and, whilst I disagreed with his extreme position, I think he also put forward some useful arguments., in particular how concepts of mental illness can be misused, to the detriment of patients. The truth is that we are still very much in the dark ages with regard to our understanding of the nature and causes of 'mental illness'. This lack of understanding has given rise in my view to all kinds of self-serving abuse by all kinds of people. .

Exactly. "Pull yourself together" and "get a grip" are not helpful comments.

One of my "friends" was VILE to me. My problem was the stress of final year, and I was living in halls with my friends- but I fled evey weekend because the atmosphere was horrible- because of the stress upon us and because of her sniping. She would always act all martyrish about how she was stressed too but wasnt running away - but different things work for different people, and running to the people that cared about me got me through it.

by the time I was better I was strong enough to tell her to do one. If someone in your life is making life difficult for you through not understanding your pain or your choices, then just get rid of them.

Exactly. Getting poisonous people out of your life is vital.

StarSparkle

well hh, I feel suitably chastised. I was not for a moment denying that mental illness exists. I was merely making the point that it is difficult to define its boundaries, which seem to have expanded to include all mental states, whether pathological or not. I remember reading 'The Myth of Mental Illness' by Thomas Szasz years ago and, whilst I disagreed with his extreme position, I think he also put forward some useful arguments., in particular how concepts of mental illness can be misused, to the detriment of patients. The truth is that we are still very much in the dark ages with regard to our understanding of the nature and causes of 'mental illness'. This lack of understanding has given rise in my view to all kinds of self-serving abuse by all kinds of people. .

I knew your "soothing voice of reason" would not let me down, Lord C. I sincerely apologize for my chastizing tone but this is a "hot button" for me, in light of Tom Cruise types telling people that post-partum depression can be fixed by space aliens or whatever.

I totally agree with all the comments you've made in this post.

Well-said and most reasonable.:)

I suffer from mental issues........I'm sure I find things funny that really aren't :P

I suffer from mental issues........I'm sure I find things funny that really aren't :P

It's been noted.

i've been diagnosed with depression. Been battling it for 4+ years now. Not much seems to do any good, on my 5th change of meds. Due to go to mental health op dept tomorrow actually and let him know how i'm getting on, shouldn't take long!

Depression and all mental illnesses affect your life in so many ways it's just not fair.

It's strained my relationship and jepodized (sp?) my job badly. It's so hard to live day to day, never mind dealing with all the other crap life throws at ya!

People who haven't been there can't understand, no matter how hard they might try. How do you explain to somebody why you're crying or upset or angry when you don't know / understand yourself.

I personally find depression very, very, very frustrating. and that's half my trouble i think, i let it get to me too much.

I knew your "soothing voice of reason" would not let me down, Lord C. I sincerely apologize for my chastizing tone but this is a "hot button" for me, in light of Tom Cruise types telling people that post-partum depression can be fixed by space aliens or whatever.

I totally agree with all the comments you've made in this post.

Well-said and most reasonable.:)

Thank you for those kind words, HH, which are much appreciated. It is ironic that you should mention Tom Cruise, because it is my understanding that Szasz (the author of the 'Myth of Mental Illlness') became a Scientologist, arguably thereby disproving his central thesis.

As the title says, do you have a diagnosed illness or do due to your behaviour or traits, consider you may have some sort of underlying mental issues, but have never had them confirmed by a psychologist or mental health professional.

I have stuck a poll on here for those wishing to remain anonymous. Also, please free to comment if you so wish... this is meant to be a serious thread so I would be grateful if you could treat it as such and respect others that post on what, to them, could be a sensitive issue.

Thanks,

AO.

I didn't have mental issues, until I came on this forum. :hihi:

But some of the most corrosive people are those who have repressed their problems and are in denial. They think they can force it to go away, but the poison leaks out in their words and actions. They're rigid and damaged and incapable of seeing themselves as others see them. The more in denial they are, the more obvious to others it is that they have a problem! They are the ones who will not be coming on this thread but do tend to go round contaminating others. I wish I could give examples here but of course I can't... :)

This contrasts rather starkly with the OP's apparent intention in starting the thread.

I have stuck a poll on here for those wishing to remain anonymous. Also, please free to comment if you so wish... this is meant to be a serious thread so I would be grateful if you could treat it as such and respect others that post on what, to them, could be a sensitive issue.[/Quote]

You seem to be suggesting that people who don't come on the thread to admit to having 'mental issues' will anyway have 'mental issues' but be in denial.

How shall you judge anyone with the temerity to claim they don't suffer from any mental health problems ? :)