Pitsmoor scouts

Good to hear Graham is still going strong - I went to Firs Hill School with him. I remember he had an older brother called John. I hope he is well too.

I believe this was taken at Hornsea Mere, circa 1946/47

File0014.jpg

Edited by Gerry

It could be my imagination but there are a few familiar faces there Gerry. Can you put any names to any of those faces?

It could be my imagination but there are a few familiar faces there Gerry. Can you put any names to any of those faces?

Hi Texas, after 55 years, these are the names I remember. Pete Middleton, Barry Thompson, Pete Ashton, Barry Whitworth, Ray Hawley, Alan Lambert, Barry Silcock, Walt Postlethwaite, Bill Ollerenshaw and Paul Cutts. These names are not in any particular order and some of the faces are familiar but I can't remember their names. Are you on the photograph Texas?

No Gerry unfortunately I'm not on there. It's difficult, but I think I see Barry Whitworth, Barry Silcock, and perhaps Alan Lambert. It's over 60years now, a long time.

My own association with the Pitsmoor Scouts was relatavely short. One of my mates at the time was a kid called Kenneth Eades who lived over on Rock St. He conviced me we should join the troop for some reason, so we did. I remember having the uniform; neckerchief, blue jersey, I even had a hat, quite proud of that hat, not new, quite battered in a pioneering kind of way. I bought it secondhand. But, about a couple of months down the line, good old Ken got the hots for some chick at some Youth Club or other and convinced me I should make a play for her mate. That was the end of the scouts and a steady descent into juvenile debauchary.

I love the photograph though.

Glad you liked the picture Texas.

Good to hear Graham is still going strong - I went to Firs Hill School with him. I remember he had an older brother called John. I hope he is well too.

Oh ! That graham he is my cousin ! graham John tony Linda Diane Christine and twins David & Keith .

Graham lives down ecclesfield .although I haven't seen him for years

Edited by mally350z

I was in pitsmoor scouts in the 50/60s when Dave Allen ex owls chairman was in he lived at Days Dancing on pitsmoor rd (later to be the Mojo Club) I remember going camping to Baslow on the back of a lorry I think it was Vick Fretwells dads lorry

Also went camping to Staintondale on east coast and Chagford down south Pete Ashton was in charge also remember Spike from firth park

My dad was a Scouter with the 11th Pitsmoor in the 1940s. I was only 6 or 7 at the time but he used to take me with him when they were organising things. His name was Cyril Grant. My mother and I went on one of the camps to Hornsea but I think it would be later than Gerry's photo. I recognise some of the Scouters on the photo as my dad would take me if we were visiting them and I can remember a couple of names. Mr. Marshall is centre, the name Outwin comes to mind, possibly on Mr. Marshall's left (the bald guy) and I'm sure that my dad is the second one on Mr. Marshall's right. Somewhere I have a similar photo and will post it when I find it. Other things which come to mind are a house up a drive opposite the bottom of Minna Road and storing jam jars there which had been collected. Also going to a room in an old building where Ivy Lodge now stands, I think it was called Ivy Lodge even back then, and it had a counter at one end for making tea and refreshments. Was this a hall belonging to the church? Must go and search for the camp photo!!!

Yes you are correct we did meet on Burngreave rd then moved to a large hut on Roe Lane.Also Ivy Lodge was used to store all the camping gear and was the meeting place for the senior scouts.i used to go upstairs at Ivy Lodge to play table tennis

Hi Dennis, looking back at your post I see that you mention camping at Baslow. Now I think about it I can remember the 11th. camping at Baslow. It was on part of the Chatsworth Estate hillside and called Heathey Lea. I think we just visited for the day, probably went on the bus because we did not have a car. My Grandad went with us and when he took me for a walk up to the rocks we saw a weasel catch a rabbit. This would be prior to 1950 because my dad died in early 1950.

In the 1960s I was a scouter with the 283rd. and we had several camps at Heathey Lea.

Robert.