Is this acceptable? - noise from flat below...

Our new neighbours below us moved in about 3 weeks ago.

When they 1st moved in they started playing really loud music which not only was louder than our tv but was vibrating through the floor.

My husband went down and asked them to turn it down, to which the guy said (suprised) "its only a dvd"

I must add at this point that the soundproofing in our flats is very poor, but we are always weary of this and dont walk around heavy footed, and take off our shoes, we dont even put our washer on after 10pm.

Anyway, yesterday we got a note pushed through our door basically warning us that they were having a birthday/house warming party. It said they'd do their best to keep the noise down, but if there's any problems we could contact them on their mobile.

Well, I heard the party start at about 8pm. The music and noise was loud (as loud as their dvd was a couple of weeks ago) It was just bearable.

Then at 10pm, the volume started to increase. So much so that it woke my 4 month old baby. I called the number and spoke to the guy. He was very polite. I said that I didn;t want to spoil their party, its just that it was starting to get too loud. He assured me that it wouldn't get worse.

You'd think that would be it?- NO!

By 11:30pm the music and noise was so unbearably loud - I had just finished feeding my baby so he was quite settled, but there was no way I would be able to sleep. I could hear them singing on a microphone. It pretty much sounded like I was above a nightclub!

So, I went down (with baby on my shoulder) and spoke to his mother -(she was obviously sloshed) She seemed shocked, and said she didn;t think it was loud at all, and also said that someone else had complained, so assured me that they'd sort it out.

An hour later it was even worse, I tried calling the guy again but he didn;t answer, I even called my hubby at the firestation and he tried to call him, but he didn;t answer. It was so loud it sounded as if the music was all around me.

By this point my baby had woken up with the noise, so I went down again, with baby on my shoulder. When I walked in, it was clear that this party was getting out of hand. (the guy is a dj) he had lights going his sound system at full blast and people singing on a microphone (why do you need a micophone in a 2 bed flat???)

I saw the guys mother again, and I just burst into tears, she started shouting at me saying that the music wasn't loud and I must have something wrong with my ears if I think its loud. I suggested she come upstairs and see for herself, and she said that it was wrong on my part to keep coming down with a small baby and that I should have left him alone upstairs:o

Another guest at the party offered to come up and see how loud it was, and she came up - at which point they turned the music off! Cheeky buggers!

I finally got to sleep at about 2am and had to get up at 7am to feed baby.

I feel angry, upset and most of all tired.

Is it just me? or is this behaviour out of order?

Should we go down and approach them today?

Should I call the lady who owns the flat (who I know) and tell her about the problems?

Any advice as to how best to deal with this?

Thanks x x x

I know it must have been awful not being able to sleep, but I personally would wait and see if it was a one off. If it happened regularly I would complain, but they were probably just having a house warming party?

I'd try and talk to them this morning when they've sobered up, but if you get no joy from them then speak to the landlady.

they were probably just having a house warming party?

I agree, but there's a difference between having a party with some music and friends and family, and having a professional DJ sound system at full balst till 1:30am in a flat!

In my opinion, if they wanted that sort of party, then they should of hired out a bar or club.

I've lived here for over 3 years and never experienced anything like this before

I wouldn't approach them today - you're obviously exhausted and really stressed, which isn't in the least bit surprising. But if you end up having a row with him, he could get really childish and start putting on the music deliberately loud just to wind you up. He doesn't sound very mature/considerate so would probably think in those terms.

Wait a day or two and then have a chat - you are quite within your rights to complain about that volume of noise. But if it is only occasional (as opposed to frequent) then I don't think it counts as noise pollution (is that the right word?).

I love it how some people seem to think a flat/house warming party or other such event gives them the right to make as much noise as they like.

Knuckle draggers with no respect for anyone.

Some people are just selfish sods,I have the same trouble,its stressful and not acceptable.

I was half hoping that he'd come round today and apologise, but he hasn't yet. I think I'll give him till next week and if he's not come round to explain then I'll call the landlord.

I dont expect to get shouted at and made to cry by some twod's mother when their the ones who are being so selfish!

my daughter had a young girl with her baby move in next door, she played music all day and night that loud she couldnt hear her tv. she went round a few times and had a word and she said she would stop doing it. anyhow this didnt happen so my daughter contacted the council, eventually someone from enviromental put a monitor im my daughters lounge which monitored the noise and at what time it was. the neighbour got a warning and that if the noise continued then she would be evicted. not long after my daughter moved out, and she has since heard that the young girl had been thrown out .

you really dont have to put up with it, contact enviromental health if it continues.

Our new neighbours below us moved in about 3 weeks ago.

When they 1st moved in they started playing really loud music which not only was louder than our tv but was vibrating through the floor.

My husband went down and asked them to turn it down, to which the guy said (suprised) "its only a dvd"

I must add at this point that the soundproofing in our flats is very poor, but we are always weary of this and dont walk around heavy footed, and take off our shoes, we dont even put our washer on after 10pm.

Anyway, yesterday we got a note pushed through our door basically warning us that they were having a birthday/house warming party. It said they'd do their best to keep the noise down, but if there's any problems we could contact them on their mobile.

Well, I heard the party start at about 8pm. The music and noise was loud (as loud as their dvd was a couple of weeks ago) It was just bearable.

Then at 10pm, the volume started to increase. So much so that it woke my 4 month old baby. I called the number and spoke to the guy. He was very polite. I said that I didn;t want to spoil their party, its just that it was starting to get too loud. He assured me that it wouldn't get worse.

You'd think that would be it?- NO!

By 11:30pm the music and noise was so unbearably loud - I had just finished feeding my baby so he was quite settled, but there was no way I would be able to sleep. I could hear them singing on a microphone. It pretty much sounded like I was above a nightclub!

So, I went down (with baby on my shoulder) and spoke to his mother -(she was obviously sloshed) She seemed shocked, and said she didn;t think it was loud at all, and also said that someone else had complained, so assured me that they'd sort it out.

An hour later it was even worse, I tried calling the guy again but he didn;t answer, I even called my hubby at the firestation and he tried to call him, but he didn;t answer. It was so loud it sounded as if the music was all around me.

By this point my baby had woken up with the noise, so I went down again, with baby on my shoulder. When I walked in, it was clear that this party was getting out of hand. (the guy is a dj) he had lights going his sound system at full blast and people singing on a microphone (why do you need a micophone in a 2 bed flat???)

I saw the guys mother again, and I just burst into tears, she started shouting at me saying that the music wasn't loud and I must have something wrong with my ears if I think its loud. I suggested she come upstairs and see for herself, and she said that it was wrong on my part to keep coming down with a small baby and that I should have left him alone upstairs:o

Another guest at the party offered to come up and see how loud it was, and she came up - at which point they turned the music off! Cheeky buggers!

I finally got to sleep at about 2am and had to get up at 7am to feed baby.

I feel angry, upset and most of all tired.

Is it just me? or is this behaviour out of order?

Should we go down and approach them today?

Should I call the lady who owns the flat (who I know) and tell her about the problems?

Any advice as to how best to deal with this?

Thanks x x x

Jen13kd

YOu must deal with this now, if you give these people an inch they will take a mile.

YOu must get onto the council, ASAP, they will put you through to the right deptartment.

YOu must log every incident of noise.

Try to also see if other neighbours are suffereing too, you will have more chance of getting these people evicted, if needed.

Anyone who does not turn the music down, when they know a baby is potentially suffereing, are not people who cannot be reasoned with.

Log things now......

I was half hoping that he'd come round today and apologise, but he hasn't yet. I think I'll give him till next week and if he's not come round to explain then I'll call the landlord.

I dont expect to get shouted at and made to cry by some twod's mother when their the ones who are being so selfish!

Thats shocking !!!

Get these scum of the earth people out.

You should have just phoned the police, they would have called round and told them to turn it down and you wouldn't have personally had to get involved. hope you get the problem sorted if it persists.