Anyone work at Loxley Brothers Ltd Print Works

Signing on as an apprentice was very important then wasnt it? Before they gave me the job i had to go to Wombwell for an aptitude test. Nearly didnt go because it was so far away to travel by public transport but my dad said it was worth going, to show a willing! They also sent us to day release college which was on Psalter Lane. Hated that mostly as it was like going back to school which i had just left. Someone used to visit the apprentices at work to see how they were getting on at college and if we had any problems, and looking back they did really do it properly and made sure we had the right qualifications. Dont know if that ever happens now, doubt it very much.

Hello Lennonman, I signed my Indentures along with my father one Saturday morning in August 1952, the signing took place in the managing directors office, you know the one with the window that overlooked the whole of the shop floor. I had to begin nightschool at the College of Arts and Crafts in Norfolk St. I remember the first year I should actually have gone all day Tuesday but the "Company can't afford it" I was paid in the first year the princely sum of £1-10s-10d. (£1-54) per week, the enrolment fee for nightschool was 2s-6d. (12p) and I had to pay it and then claim it back from Loxleys, Mr Thomas (Ron) was the overseer in the comps, can you imagine asking him, I usually had to ask two or three times before I got it and anyway it came out of the petty cash. I also remember one year nightschool started at 6pm and I didn't finish work until 5.30pm. they graciously allowed me to finish at 5.15pm, I lived near Loxleys then and went home, had a quick bite, ran and caught a tram and just managed to get there for 6pm.

thanks again for your memories Sharrovian

They were tight werent they, Loxleys? When i first started they used to sent me on the train to Birmingham to deliver sample posters to RoSPA who they did a lot of work for. It was a nighmare getting the cash for train journeys and a bite to eat when i got there, used to get it from a white haired and moustached old fella from upstairs, cant remember his name now, bet you can. Anyway my memories of Loxley's in my early days were a lot of fun. After leaving school i thought working would be very serious, grown up stuff, but a few of the lads were around my age and it was like a playground some days! they would play pranks all day, like flicking type at George Frost. They would ping type onto his head until he had enough and caught the culprits and put them in the bin...he was a big bloke wasnt he? A great favourite would be to sneak up on someone who was setting type in a stick, and drop a iron galley onto the floor, making the victim jump and 'pie' his type all over the floor! Was chatting to an old mate about this recently and we were in hysterics at the things the lads got up to. Good times they were and very different to the way things are these days.

I worked at Loxley's for about a year 1979-1980 as a salesman before going off to live in France. I moved to Loxley fom Oxley Print group in Nottingham and remember John Birch as MD and Mike Bleasdale as sales director and a young John White an estimator who I re-encountered at Pindar in Scarborough later.

Hi All, I worked as a Planner from 1987 - 1990 Completing my apprenticeship with Richard Green and Stephen Hert, Richards dad was Frank and they are both at Proco and I beleive Stephen is still at Loxleys, Some of the names I remember, John White now has a Printing franchise at west bar. Ted Stafford was my God Father and worked on the Crabtree with my Dad Phillip Shields many moons ago. I am now living in Melbourne over in OZ with my partner and our 3 children.

Hi Rob you must have started after i left loxleys but i remember your dad he was on the crabtree for a few years then he was made up to foreman. Seem to remember he was related to Neil Mackley am i right? Neil left and we never saw him again must be 25 years ago now. Remember Ted, he was my tennis partner along with Dave Winbow and Dennis. none of us could play tennis and it was just one long laugh from start to finish. many happy memories of loxleys and many good friends made. all the best in oz and thanks for your post. Darren

My first job in 1943 was printing at a firm in Lowfields opposite the end of Queens road. Can't remember the name now I only worked there for a few months because I liked to be outside so I took up painting and Decorating with WW AXE and Sons of Nether Edge.

My brother recently won a prize in the Blades superdraw, a VIP day for two it included free admission and programme and a tour of the ground and dressing room, loads of photos and a three-course meal with wine and a seat behind glass for the match ~ great!!!

Nice to hear your brother had a small piece of good fortune. Hate to have to tell you this, that the same prize would have been a stroke of fabulous fortune had it been at the other end of town! There’s something to be said for the Owls! For one thing, the turf would have been better to walk on.

peterw

Now I don't usually reply to such pathetic comments, but my brother ( Sharrovian ) and I

manage to go through life with a respect for everyone, including Sheffield Wednesday supporters. If you have nothing better to do with your miserable existence, then comment about everyone else, but please don't include us !!!!

Never worked at Loxleys, my cousin did though in the process dept. I was a an apprentice comp from 69-75 working at firstly Townsends of Chesterfield and latterly Parkin & Bacon of Neepsend. I attended Psalter Lane Art College on day release and was there with a few people from Loxleys, although there names escape me. A 10 year break from printing led me to Sheffield Newspapers for 16 years, leaving in 2000.

Hello Sierraman I worked at Loxleys and left to join Sheffield Newspapers in Oct 1966. I was there through all the changeover from hot metal to paste-up eventually being made redundant in March 1989.

Hello Sierraman I worked at Loxleys and left to join Sheffield Newspapers in Oct 1966. I was there through all the changeover from hot metal to paste-up eventually being made redundant in March 1989.

Hello Sharrovian, I also worked at Sheffield Newspapers, I started as a typesetter on the MTelegraph in 1985 and later went on to the Star on days, working i until 2000. Figured out who I am yet? PM me!