Anyone work at Loxley Brothers Ltd Print Works

I worked at Loxley Brothers Ltd Printers on Aizelwood Road Sheffield between 1976 and 1985. The Managing Director was John Birch in this period and I worked in the composing department when the foreman was Jim May. Any former workers out there?

My husbands mum and grandfather used to work for Loxley's way back.

I have a photo of his grandad at work, posted on the Sheffield History site.

His name was Ethlebert Dickson and would have retired some time in the 1950's

Marion

Thanks Marion, that would have been a bit before my time. What a grand name though!

Just to give a memory jog, these are the people i remember from Loxleys (theres a lot).

Jim May, Steve Wilde, Mark Naylan, Neil Mackley, George Frost, Nobby Scotton, Terry Cartwright, Bill Hayward, Geoff Russell, Jack Cowlishaw, Bob Edworthy, Paul Ward, Pete Brookes, Chris Skelly, Dave Horton John Marsden, Bill Seffers, Dave Winbow, Big Dave Walker, Derek Boucher, Jonathan Newbould, Les Hunt, Chris Bailey, Pete Grayson, Ted Stafford, Garry Hall, John Marshall, Elvin Reinhart, Paul Gordon, Gary Anderson, Susan Crerar, Dawn Edis, Diane Fairest, June, Susan Grayson, Jackie, Maureen, Sheila, Kath, Joanne, Rachel (cant remember surnames) Margaret Elms, Dave Williams, Jane May, Tony and Phillip (warehouse) Mick Dickinson, Ron Thomas, Richard Sanderson, John White, John Birch, Barbara Russell, and Barry from the yard! Phew! I know a few of these people have sadly passed away but it would be great to hear from anyone else from those days. I moved on to Garnetts in Rotherham and then Polestar in Sheffield before leaving the trade last year.

• Like 1

I was there from April 1952 ~ Oct 1966 and I remember a lot of the names you mentioned: Jim May who I still see on a regular basis and have known since we were about 13, Derek Boucher, a very good friend, Les Hunt and Arthur Scotton who both lived near me but who sadly are no longer with us. George Frost who committed suicide, Geoff Russell, Jack Cowlishaw, Bill Hayward, and many more. Was Stan Boddington there when you were, he was a good friend of mine. I was 15 and an apprentice comp, and left to work at Sheffield Newspapers but I remember my time at Loxleys with fond affection, they were a great crowd, there were over 200 on the clock in my time there.

great to hear from you. Can you mention me to Jim the next time you see him? Im Darren, im sure he will remember me, i was apprentice in the comps department when he was in charge, he was united daft, no doubt he still is, and i am a wednesdayite so there was always a bit of banter! Great to hear some of the old names, i dont think Stan Boddington was there when i was though his name was mentioned often, his name shortened to Stan Bodds. Heard about George, that was sad news we always had loads of fun in the comps they were a daft bunch. I went on to work for Garnetts in Rotherham for 20 years then went to polestar for a year, then packed printing in to move down south. Did you know Roger Bentley? he worked at Loxleys and then the Star. Worked with him at Garnetts, another bloody unitedite!

:hihi: Aye up lennonman haven't you got anything better to do than to sit on 'tinternet all day, by the way the thing you sent me in the post I had to fetch from delivery office because you'd put wrong bloody number on and it cost me £1.06 because you hadn't put enough postage on it 'bloody ell' typical wendy fan

Hi sharrovian and welcome to the Forum. Finally managed to unravel the technicalities of gaining access.

From your little brother !

thank you for your message "IANO" sorry about the postage my old friend, i will set up a standing order with your bank to pay it back...ha! Wouldnt mind but the posters cost £1.50 each to print off its costing me a fortune! As my former printer, your rates were much better wernt they? Give my regards to the lads and, as this is a Loxley's thread, a special ey up to former employees, Roger Bentley, Steve Guy and Pete Grayson.

I will remember you to Jim the next time I see him if I can squeeze it in between talking about our beloved Blades. I vaguely remember Roger Bentley at the Telegraph & Star, others I remember at Loxleys amongst the ones you mentioned were Terry Cartwright, Bill Seffers, Dave Winbow, Ted Stafford, Jackie, Margaret Elms, David Williams, Jane May (Jim's daughter), Ron Thomas (Aargh!), and John Birch who was working in the warehouse when I started work. You also mentioned a Rachel who may have been my daughter, she worked in the Binders for a short time. Harry Rowley was managing director when I left, he lived near me (or should that be I lived near him).

Hello Runningman, I'll gi thi a scuff the next time I see you, from your Big brother.

Thanks Sharrovian bet Jim still likes a moan at the blades doesnt he? He was very passionate about them and we used to laugh when he came in on Mondays when they had lost. The air was blue! Hope Jane is ok, we went out a couple of times many years ago but it didnt last...the Rachel I knew went on to work at Garnetts after Loxleys, dont know if that is your daughter or not. Many laughs over the years there, i used to play tennis with Ted Stafford and Dave Winbow and none of us could play and I used to spent the hour doubled up laughing we were so crap! Ron Thomas was works manager when i started at 16 and he gave me the job, but left soon after. I know what you mean about him!John Birch was appointed MD just before i started and another one i remembered today was Frank Gavin who used to be in the comps but was doing artist stuff when i was there. Good to hear from you again.