Old Stannington

My great grandparents name was Beachell, great grandmother was called Revitt before marriage & both lived somewhere in Stannington, they had my grandfather in 1877 & named him Herford, he then married my grandmother on Christmas Eve 1900, she was the daughter of the local stonemason, William Tattersall, they moved to Middle cottage at High Riggs

Skippy, take at look at my website - 'Stannington Roll Of Honour', there are details relating to the Beachell, Tattersall & Revitt families. Could be your relatives.

I used to live on Sheldon Lane in the old houses that got knocked down (somebody is building a house where they were). Then we moved across the road into a flat in the old police station across from Charlesworth's. Then to Pond Close when the council built new houses. I still live in Stannington.

Cheers

Robert.

Skippy, take at look at my website - 'Stannington Roll Of Honour', there are details relating to the Beachell, Tattersall & Revitt families. Could be your relatives.

Thanks for that Robert, I seem to remember there was a Charlesworth that lived in the cottages that were on Uppergate, opposite the top of Reynolds lane.

I will pass your web site onto a family member who is doing our family tree.

I suppose I was too young to be able to understand the horrors of war, no one talked about it in front of kids anyway in those days and it was a sheltered lifestyle living in the village in the early 40's, I only wish I had asked questions later on in life about our relatives when my family was alive & I was old enough to understand.

Does anyone remember a George Hawksley ? he went to school with my mother, he was a dairy farmer later on & used to deliver our milk when we moved to Crookes, I was terrified of him as he used to say he would feed me to his pigs.

Thanks for that Robert, I seem to remember there was a Charlesworth that lived in the cottages that were on Uppergate, opposite the top of Reynolds lane.

I will pass your web site onto a family member who is doing our family tree.

I suppose I was too young to be able to understand the horrors of war, no one talked about it in front of kids anyway in those days and it was a sheltered lifestyle living in the village in the early 40's, I only wish I had asked questions later on in life about our relatives when my family was alive & I was old enough to understand.

Does anyone remember a George Hawksley ? he went to school with my mother, he was a dairy farmer later on & used to deliver our milk when we moved to Crookes, I was terrified of him as he used to say he would feed me to his pigs.

I think most people who lived in Stannington in those times remember George Hawksley Skippy From Townfield farm on the Riggs High Road! Quite a character old George!

Two things I remember as a kid, was when a Vampire plane crashlanded on Rod Moor and George went and ferried the injured pilot down to the Infirmary! The other occasion was when a bull gored a farmhand in the yard at the farm, George came out with his 12 bore and shot the bull dead,but too late to save the farmhand who died a little later!

I remember a bloke that delivered milk for George getting gored by a bull, I didn't realise that he had died though, Georges Father in Law lived on Tasker Rd.

hi, the old vicar of stannington was my late father in laws dad peter stebbing i am married to his son glyn which is his grandson who i think looks like his grandad stebbing francis augustine stebbing was the vicar of stannington for 47 years and was well liked in the community so we always are told its surprising how many people come up to us and say are you related to him. my husband glyn always has stories to tell of his grandad which are quite funny. francis is buried in stannington church and has a plaque in the church in his memory.

I remember the Rev. Francis Stebbing well from my teenage years. He was indeed well-liked in Stannington. See earlier posts on this thread (including mine, #42)

hi, the old vicar of stannington was my late father in laws dad peter stebbing i am married to his son glyn which is his grandson who i think looks like his grandad stebbing francis augustine stebbing was the vicar of stannington for 47 years and was well liked in the community so we always are told its surprising how many people come up to us and say are you related to him. my husband glyn always has stories to tell of his grandad which are quite funny. francis is buried in stannington church and has a plaque in the church in his memory.

Hi how is my cousin in law and her husband this is long lost cousin in New Zealand

Yes thats correct,bit further up actually. In regard to Skeltons I remember Joe Skelton who did live in at 147 one of the old police houses .Amongst other things ,he was a bookies runner for Furniss bookies on Oldfield Rd. He used to collect bets from the men in the Top House on Saturday afternoon and come into the old kitchen and phone them through to Furniss.

One afternoon someone in the taproom said"where's Joe"? they eventually found him in the corner of the kitchen,terrified only inches away from being eaten by "Buller" the bull terrier at the Crown and Glove,who was chained to the sideboard in the kitchen!.................which was strange,because he usually only ate people in uniforms !

What type of bull terrier was he? Staffordshire?

does any one remember the mosleys who had Bingley farm,Milson ,evelyn,keith,ian,peter and the late Carol.I used to go to the old farm in the sixties and they had the meat hung from hooks from the beams.The farm was in yorkshire but if you wanted the toilet which was a shared midden you had to cross the lane into Derbyshire.They are my late wifes relatives.

yes i went to school with pete mosley we went to the primary school then to bradfield

The only pigs I remember were kept in the stable at the bottom of the yard at the Crown@ Glove by Harry Wood (I used to feed them before I went to school)! There was a big boar up at Townhead farm(Edgar and Aida Nicholls place) kept in a stye at the side of the road (now a cottage),that is most likely the one you are refering to!just further up Uppergate than Mauds

Did you know that the cottages in Maud Mettams yard were once an Inn many years ago, and legend has it that Roundheads were billeted there in the civil war,as well as Ughill and other places,and apparently Oliver Cromwells initialls are carved into the old cellar wall! The other famous visitor to Mauds yard was Lonnie Donnegan who used to come to see his old army pal living in the cottages in the yard! when he was performing in town ! Ronnie O'Sullivan the snooker ace often stays at Townhead farm when at the Crucible!

Lonnie Donnegans mate was my Uncle Rowland. My sister has just moved out of the cottage that used to be Maud Mettams shop. LOL Imagine buying parafin over the counter in a bottle you took to the shop nowadays