Hurlfield School - any ex pupils?

Hi rob bob10, I can`t remember what the show was called as it was several years

ago. Hope Genisis is reading this and tells us what it was.

I did'nt go to Hurlfield but a girl called Doreen Butler who lived on our estate did, I think she lived with her aunt or grandma, anyone remember her from the early 70s?.

Hi Phillip

guess you can include me in your group of classmates, for the first three years at least. I guess I could tell a few stories but will resist. Saw the old school on An Ipad satellite pic today. it looked like a construction site. When in Sheffield last year I went with Barry Travis to catch up with Tony Hopkins at his local, but he was not there that night. I did catch up with Roger Scholey and Alan Biggin on that trip though.

John G

Visited about 4 years ago and place looked so derelict. Was a Saturday morning and they were having a jumble sale and so was open. Chatted to, think it was the headmaster and he reckoned that it was probably due to be demolished within 5 years.

I recall your name John but with advancing years, well, memories for faces are fading fast !!

Were you on the tall side with blond hair?

Tony Hopkins, used to live down Granville Road, father was a plumber.

Also remember Roger Scholey.

My husband went to Hurfield his name is Dave Lomas his 6 brothers and 1 sister attended the school aswell.Dave left in 1989 I think.

theres a name from the past dave lomas nice lad remember him from the wybourne hope hes doing ok

Yeah Dave's well thanks :)

Hi Tigerman, no I don`t know Pauline Butler, I may do if I saw her. I remember Ronald Tucker, Raymond Hinds, Diane Seymour, Juliet Marsden, Lynn Wragg to name a few. Mr. Pringle was our form teacher, can`t believe where the years have gone. Hated it at the time but would turn back the years if I could. Any one remember Mr. Guest? He was my RE teacher, used to tell us dirty stories rather than teach us anything. Didn`t realise it at the time but they were definately the good days!!

Think you was in my year group webbo.I was in Pringles form group and remember most of the names.Was there 1976 left in 1980 and to add names,here goes...dean lockwood,barry stevenson,tina frost,dennis oats,deborah marshall,anita wragg,marie fielding and lynn roy..

Hurlfield School - any ex pupils

Part 8.

1. Doug Travis was in my year, and was a brilliant footballer who had trials with Sheffield Boys I think.

2. A lad in my class called Moran was an avid follower of Speedway and went to all the meetings at Owlerton [Thursdays?].

3. Stephen Poole was a pal of mine in class. He and I liked nothing better than to wind up the teachers. One day we were being taught by Mr Parnham, who was famous for his over use of the word piffel. During the lesson Stephen said something that annoyed Parnham, and he was told to come to the front of class to receive a slippering. Stephen was bent over the teachers desk and received 4 thwacks. He then stood up straight, turned to Parnham and said...That didn't hurt. He [stephen] was then bent back over the desk and received at least another dozen thwacks. Stephen then stood up again and started to laugh himsen stupid. The breathless and red faced Mr Parnham then took Stephen down to Mr Houdmont's office. Bet Stephen wasn't laffing after that though. Ye Gods!

4. One day just after dinner time, the coppers came to our school and 4 lads in my class were taken dow to the headmaster, who was 'Pop' Adams. Another lad [shall remain nameless] from class hadn't come back to class from dinner time. We found out later that the 4 lads had been for months bullying the missing lad. Each day he had been nicking spice from a shop on Northern Avenue , Arbourthorne, and swiping money from his mum's purse to buy fags from the shop too. He eventually got caught, then he must have told the cops everything. I had been surprised by all this because apart from the occasional spat, I thought we had peace and harmony in our class. I was also quite annoyed with myself for not seeing the signs of the bullying. All 5 lads are listed in part 1 .

5. Neville Woolley, Chris Thompson and Stephen Murphy were my best mates in school.

6. Another pal of mine at Hurlfield was Martyn [Martin] Bragg. He was an excellent guitar player and singer. Martyn did a marvellous rendition of Fleetwood Mac's , Man of the World, which was a recent release at the time [1969]. I think Martyn lived near Daresbury, but I could be wrong.

7. Mr Keith Turton was our form teacher [i've said afore. just a reminder.lol.], a great bloke who taught me humility.

Hi Zakes

I am slightly older than yourself, left in ,65. Like you said Dougie was a good footaller but so was his elder brother Barry who was at school with me, and Dougie also played at wembley for Sheffield Club in the final of the F.A vase, drawing at wembley, but unfortunately losing the replay 1-0 at nottingham. His wife Sue was a good friend of my sister. Nev Woolley was the younger brother of Trevor lived on eastern ave opposite school. iF memory serves me well Trevor was a decent fast bowler along with Keith Wales.

Hi i left in 2004 when still myrtle springs now park springs academy and still in a bad state.....just looking at a few of the old posts not read the later ones but mr. moxon died a few years back and never knew him to be the head and was still an art teacher when i left....mr shutt left around 2002 i think mr guest was still there and i believe still there now....head when i was there was mr wydenbach brought the school out of special measures and was great until certain things happened in school and he left "by his own accord" shame as now its ran by two female teachers who couldnt control one class never mind the school....and if people thought mr. moxon wasnt head material then you wouldnt beleive these two!!

sisters are still there now having constant problems with teachers using force to control pupils and swearing at pupils then somehow still keeping a job!!

anywho my grandad and his brother was there when it was hurlfield dont know the years but they were neil and les cambell.....if anyone has any stories of them im sure theres some. some time around 50's - 60's

My Dad is Les Cambell and Neil was my fantastic Uncle who died a couple of years ago.

I was there from 1980 to 1984 - mostly against my will it has to be said! :hihi:

Is there anyone else willing to admit they were there too? :hihi:

Hi I was there from 1976-80

---------- Post added 05-04-2016 at 14:25 ----------

Yes I was at Hurlfield from 1976 and left in 1980 :)

My Dad is Les Cambell and Neil was my fantastic Uncle who died a couple of years ago.

I was a good friend of your dad, ask him if he remembers getting caught for drinking under age with me in the Nailmakers. I was at school with Gordon but have not seen any of them for years. I remember your grandparents Charlie and if memory serves me right Dolly , nice people who enjoyed following certain acts around clubland. Good times.I could spend hours telling you stories of our adventures as kids.