House Prices

However, Rightmove measures asking prices not sale prices, as they have no measure of that.

So whilst one of m,any indicators, it is the most easily affected by sellers rather than by buyers and other market forces.

It is said that house prices go up this time of year. Therefore, as a seller I know that last month a house on my street went for x amount, I'll add a bit to that for my asking price then as house prices rise this time of year and want to get the most I can for it.

Ergo - Rightmove reports an increase.

So is there a website that shows sale prices not asking prices?

There isn't any sales data for Feb yet as Feb hasn't even finished, there's more of a lag on sales data getting reported though.

Nope, but as it was on Channel 4 I can only assume it was ANOTHER programme about how house prices are in a state of despair. :(

Was it?

Upmystreet.com and the landregistry will register sale prices, but as pointed out, there will be a delay in processing these.

There is - it's something to do with the Land Registry but the daata is not exactly up do date (maybe about a year out).

There is - it's something to do with the Land Registry but the daata is not exactly up do date (maybe about a year out).

Up my street has local sales data up to december, but its not necessarily exhaustive. the site indicated a recently updated record from 31st November

Endcliffe Hall Road (pair of semis) Crescent Road (detached family residence) There are many more mainly people selling off their gardens to cash in on the land values. Totley Brook Road is another and Queen Victoria Road. Everyone is at it maybe you should give it a go.

...yes, and make every one of your neighbours hate you, such that they put up so many obstacles and restrictions that you're forced to sell to a developer for little more than you would have got on the open market. The developer being able to ride roughshod through the restrictions with the tacit agreement of the local authority.

In this falling market I'd be surprised if the developers made a return on their money. It's such a no win situation that it amazes me that anyone's attempting to do it.

Nope, but as it was on Channel 4 I can only assume it was ANOTHER programme about how house prices are in a state of despair. :(

Was it?

Yes it was on Channel 4. Just like Location Location, Relocation Relocation Relocation, A Place In the Sun, Grand Designs, Property Ladder, Property Ladder Revisited....I could go on.

Are you seriously suggesting that Channel 4 only have programmes about house prices being in a state of despair?

Dream on........

No, I am saying that if there is a programme about the property market going through a bad period it is always a channel 4 programme. I think they have had about 5 or 6 of them in the last year. I actually remember them showing two in the same week.

So, no I wasnt suggesting they only show negative programmes.

But there has also been Repossession Repossession on ITV, Panorama about the Morris property scandal on BBC1 and The Truth About Property on BBC2 (amongst others)

I think what is happening is that the TV channels are slowly realising that there is now more money to be made from showing programmes about the fall in prices, than endless shows trying to ramp up the property market. I expect these to increase over the next 2-3 years.