House Prices

A friend of mine who is a big player in the property game says now is the best time to buy

with the market cooling, interest rates have reached the peak for the current cycle.

Christmas on the way, and rates due to come down after christmas, confidence will return to the Market, in the spring, I've said it before could be the best time thats why those with the money are now eagerly buying.

The last time I pointed out this I got slated(2004 September) and everybody said prices would fall 20-30 %.

Since then they have rose more than that.

A friend of mine who is a big player in the property game says now is the best time to buy

with the market cooling, interest rates have reached the peak for the current cycle.

Christmas on the way, and rates due to come down after christmas, confidence will return to the Market, in the spring, I've said it before could be the best time thats why those with the money are now eagerly buying.

The last time I pointed out this I got slated(2004 September) and everybody said prices would fall 20-30 %.

are you an estate agent?

if not, I apologise and will answer your question.

the reason the market picked up in 2005 after having stalled was because of a totally unexpected interest rate cut in August 2005 that is now seen as a massive mistake in further fuelling the bubble.

if you want to believe your big property guy, feel free. But, check that he is practicing what he preaches. Is he buying property? Or is he one of the many landlords selling up? Is he talking the market up until he gets rid of all his properties?

As for those with money eagerly buying, I've got money, and I've eagerly SOLD. the money is in a high interest account, and I will buy back into the market when it returns to normality.

Good luck with your decision.

Rates are currently at the highest they've been for 10 years, as a combination of the high base rate and credit shortage. Banks have withdrawn most of their best mortgage offers, the market is stagnating, properties are not moving and many economists are predicting an imminent correction.

Rates are currently at the highest they've been for 10 years, as a combination of the high base rate and credit shortage. Banks have withdrawn most of their best mortgage offers, the market is stagnating, properties are not moving and many economists are predicting an imminent correction.
As always,location,location,location! Take where I live at Stannington.There's still a huge demand for properties up to £350k in the hot spots of the old village with a garden and garage.(Small Bungalow just sold on Oldfield Road in days for £320k)Having said that,quite a number of properties on the outskirts of Stannington that were run down and needed lots of refurbishment,that were bought at auction over the last few years and refurbished,are finding it very difficult to sell,partly because of escalating running costs , partly because of the pricing,..........£600k to £1.2 million(prices unheard of just a few years ago at Stannington)these properties offered investors a glimpse of the new stock market a while ago,but I wonder..........................!

In the outlying villages I've noticed that houses have been sat on the market now for several months, both on the cheaper end and the expensive end.

Here in S6 they still seem to shift quite quickly, but the prices have not really gone up in the last couple of months.

In the outlying villages I've noticed that houses have been sat on the market now for several months, both on the cheaper end and the expensive end.

Here in S6 they still seem to shift quite quickly, but the prices have not really gone up in the last couple of months.

But if they keep shifting quickly prices will rise as people see what they can get away with. Popular areas which are not over priced will still get property shifted.

Hi all,

I can certainly say that House Prices are moving down in certain areas at the moment. I have contacts in the mortgage industry and they are certainly not lending as they used to. Providers have cut the numbers of products available and are FTB's are being refused in much greater numbers.

With regards to prices I have seen a large number of properties that have sat on the market for weeks and months on end that I would have expected to move in a couple of weeks. This both applies to the more affluent areas and now the slightly cheaper areas too. I know of property in Hillsborough that has been on the market for 2 months and the occupants have had to cut 5% off the asking price (of a cheapish house) just to get people round.

Lastly, I have spoken to colleagues at a leading mortgage provider and alarm bells are currently ringing with regards to the number of mortgage holders who are currently on payment holidays. An attempt is currently being made to make this information publicly available via the "freedom of information act" and the results will apparently be worrying to say the least.

good post nickyboyzuk.

prepare to be attacked by a mixture of estate agents in disguise and people who can't sell their houses.

you can generally spot them a mile off......

with the market cooling, interest rates have reached the peak for the current cycle.Christmas on the way, and rates due to come down after christmas, confidence will return to the Market, in the spring, I've said it before could be the best time thats why those with the money are now eagerly buying.

Really, with oil reaching record highs on 5 consecutive days last week? Wheat prices through the roof?

Inflation is about to rear its ulgly head, or rather its about to break out of the govt controled measure that is cpi.

More to the point, the sub-prime crisis seen in the states is just as bad here, if not worse, only its not really started to unravel yet...

But if they keep shifting quickly prices will rise as people see what they can get away with. Popular areas which are not over priced will still get property shifted.

Shifting quickly is a big slowdown from shifting in a week for 20% over the asking price, which was the situation about a year ago.

If the trend continues soon they will be taking longer and longer to shift.

Shifting quickly is a big slowdown from shifting in a week for 20% over the asking price, which was the situation about a year ago.

If the trend continues soon they will be taking longer and longer to shift.

Properties on our estate are shifting in less than a week if priced right. 3 bed semi over the road was on the market for 3 days sold for asking price of 100k. 2 bed semi sold in just under 2 weeks for asking price of 95k. Price it right and it will sell.

We are in the fortunate position that our house has rocketed in the 12 months we have owned it. So if all you doom mongers are right we can afford a 25% drop in value, as it has risen by this amount.