Mans Head Rock

Can anyone remember the Rock Face behind the Rivelin Hotel that looked like the profile of a mans head ?.

Its covered by trees now so you cant see it. It was always pointed out to us as kids as we travelled along Rivelin Valley Road.

yep used to play cowboys n indians,germans n english, round there with me mates in the fiftys ...it was black rock was'nt it ?don"t no what type... i think u could only see the profile lookin back towards sheffield .ive got a photo of it somewhere.took it when i was back there in the 70"s......[lets go up t mans head and have a war]was the sunday afternoon catch phrase after roast beef n y puddin for a bunch of 10 year olds who did 'nt have tv.

Just found my old post. Surely people can remember it. I bought an old post card in an antiques shop on Scarborough that should the head in all its glory. Trees have now grown over and covered it up.:mad:

It's a pity that trees now obscure the profile as it was a well-known landmark, easily seen from further up the valley. As children we used to climb up the cleft at the left-hand side of the "face". Here's another postcard view, published in c. 1910 by F.D. Thomas of Angel Street: http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/MansHeadRock-1.jpg

Edited by hillsbro

We saw it from Bole Hill Rd. Its not as good a profile as looking down the valley, I've never seen this view before.

Hillsboro the postcard doesn't show from photobucket, just a window saying the image has been moved or deleted.

Any chance of resending the image somehow, it would be appreciated.

PopT

I don't know why this happened but here goes again ! It's the same URL but seems to work this time.

We used to call it "The Old Mans Head". It's perhaps part of the outcrop that runs all the way back to Stanage Edge. In Hillsbro's pic I think the houses are The Glen Cottages near Glen Bridge.

The cottages are the ones adjacent to the Rivelin Hotel known as "Albion Row". They can also be seen, together with Man's Head Rock and Rivelin Hotel, in the background of this old photo of Hind Wheel: [http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s10367

Edited by hillsbro

Hillsbro - yes, in retrospect they did look a little high up from the valley bottom!