Why are extremist atheists tolerated?

i would say athiests look at the world with an unbiased view, free from the shackles of any doctorin.

(Extreme) atheists have their own, blinkered perspective on the world, and show the same intolerance towards anyone who doesn't agree with their dogma as any other type of extremist

StarSparkle

I don't agree there, Mel.

The disrespect shown to some people on religious threads has quite taken my breath away at times.

Believers are being slagged off personally, as well as their beliefs. It's just not on. You can be an atheist, but still have some respect for religions and their adherents. It's part of being a civilised human being.

StarSparkle

You accused me of being disrespectful when I took the mick out of the bible. It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, but you read it as a blanket insult against all christians - in much the same way fervant muslims felt about the Danish cartoons.

If you view ridiculing christian ideas as the same thing as ridiculing christian believers, then I guess you have seen them getting a right bashing.

You accused me of being disrespectful when I took the mick out of the bible. It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, but you read it as a blanket insult against all christians - in much the same way fervant muslims reacted to the Danish cartoons.

If you view ridiculing christian ideas as the same thing as ridiculing christian believers, then I guess you have seen them getting a right bashing.

I wondered how long it would be before you turned up on this thread - you are probably the prime example of the subject on here. Blinkered dogma, intolerance and lack of respect at their worst.

StarSparkle

Yes, I'm an agnostic of the idea that the Universe is the creation of a giant paisley Blamange frog called Zod, because nobody can ever proove it's not true.

You're so wrong. Zod is not giant but really quite small. This is the only way that the world makes sense, he couldn't fit into all the cracks to create the small things if he was giant. I'm gonna have to wage holy war on this blasphemy.

You accused me of being disrespectful when I took the mick out of the bible. It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, but you read it as a blanket insult against all christians - in much the same way fervant muslims reacted to the Danish cartoons.

It is disrespectful, actually.

I regard respect for people's beliefs as quite important - Richard Dawkins, for example, is a very clever man and I've read several of his works but his disrespect for religious people seems to come over loud and clear - so loudly that it now begins to overwhelm what he says.

You can disagree with someone without disrespecting them; it's not hard, and it's a shame that more people on here can't take that approach.

I respect the views of Atheists, Hindus, Muslims, Jews, Agnostics, Buddhists and members of the Church of the Sub-Genius to hold whatever views they like. I may wholeheartedly disagree with them, but I try and keep respect.

Let the respect go and a bit of civilisation goes with it. When you move from the argument of issues to disrespecting the person I think it weakens the argument being put.

i would say athiests look at the world with an unbiased view, free from the shackles of any doctorin.

Thats just silly. Atheists all look at the world differently, just the same as any other group.

No-one has an unbiased view.

I wondered how long it would be before you turned up on this thread - you are probably the prime example of the subject on here. Blinkered dogma, intolerance and lack of respect at their worst.

StarSparkle

Showed up? This is my third or fourth post. But then you obviously don't read them. Much easier to just slag someone down, than reply to what they actually say,eh?

Well thanks for another dose of your 'christian spirit' SS. I see the virtues of forgiveness and tolerance are indeed strong in you.

Showed up? This is my third or fourth post. But then you obviously don't read them. Much easier to just slag someone down, than reply to what they actually say,eh?

Well thanks for another dose of your 'christian spirit' SS. I see the virtues of forgiveness and tolerance are indeed strong in you.

I've read them and answered one of them - I'd be interested to see what you think of my thoughts on disrespecting people.

Donkey and Starsparkle - you both seem to be getting bogged down in personal attacks - you could just chill out and we could all have a good debate?

I agree with the OP to a certain extent - in that it seems that atheists can insult and try to belittle Christians on this Forum and elsewhere with total impunity. Many - not all - but many atheists have repeatedly shown scant respect for Christians and their beliefs on numerous threads on here - and that is quite simply, not right.

I can just picture the furore if Muslims, blacks, homosexuals - practically any other group in society you can think of - were treated with a similar level of (dis)respect. Christians, on the other hand, seem to be regarded as legitimate targets for ridicule and anger.

StarSparkle

My bold and italics

If you have a look at some of the other threads on the forum, you will see that many other groups are treated with the same level of disrespect as Christians.

And some Christians are quite good at showing scant respect for the people of whom they do not approve, so why should people who disagree with them be expected to show them respect?

It is disrespectful, actually.

I regard respect for people's beliefs as quite important - Richard Dawkins, for example, is a very clever man and I've read several of his works but his disrespect for religious people seems to come over loud and clear - so loudly that it now begins to overwhelm what he says.

You can disagree with someone without disrespecting them; it's not hard, and it's a shame that more people on here can't take that approach.

I respect the views of Atheists, Hindus, Muslims, Jews, Agnostics, Buddhists and members of the Church of the Sub-Genius to hold whatever views they like. I may wholeheartedly disagree with them, but I try and keep respect.

Let the respect go and a bit of civilisation goes with it. When you move from the argument of issues to disrespecting the person I think it weakens the argument being put.

So I take it you have respect for the beliefs of Jihadists then?

Donkey and Starsparkle - you both seem to be getting bogged down in personal attacks - you could just chill out and we could all have a good debate?

You're right. Maybe I should get my girlfriend to take over from me.