Why are extremist atheists tolerated?

We are a Christian country, so naturally we have the heart to tolerate other religions, but it seems nowadays that atheists can criticize other faiths and label themselves superior and not get in trouble for it, we don't tolerate extremist Muslims for example, in recent times we have tolerated atheism and freedom of speech but do you think there should be laws put in place to limit this sort of dillusional nastiness by people who think that there brain is better and their opinions are absolute facts just because they don't believe in God?

I do not consider myself to be Christian. I'm atheist (actually, I consider myself to be a secular humanist) but as far as I'm concerned everyone has the right to make up their own mind as to the existence of any deity and to live their life accordingly.

I neither act as though my opinion is fact nor dismiss/disrespect others who have different beliefs than my own.

Please don't tar every atheist with the same brush.

Thing is, extremist atheists tend not to try to explode bombs in crowded places because of their (non) beliefs, extremists of a religious bent on the other hand...

We are a Christian country, so naturally we have the heart to tolerate other religions, but it seems nowadays that atheists can criticize other faiths and label themselves superior and not get in trouble for it, we don't tolerate extremist Muslims for example, in recent times we have tolerated atheism and freedom of speech but do you think there should be laws put in place to limit this sort of dillusional nastiness by people who think that there brain is better and their opinions are absolute facts just because they don't believe in God?

We're not a christian country, we're a secular country, bar a few anomalies like the Queen being head of the CofE and head of state, and anglican bishops automatically getting seats in the House of Lords.

In Britain people can believe whatever they want. I'm an atheist and christianity doesn't affect my daily life in any way whatsoever. If Britain genuinely was a christian country, that wouldn't be the case. I'd be discriminated against for not being a christian.

i would say i'm an extreme athiest but i am an atheist, but we don't tend to go round and knock on peoples preaching about how we believe there is no god now do we?

Extremist muslims and christians are tolerated as long as they stay within the law.

It's not as if extremist atheists are flying planes into buildings or killing abortionists.....

Extremist muslims and christians are tolerated as long as they stay within the law.

It's not as if extremist atheists are flying planes into buildings or killing abortionists.....

...and what is an extremist atheist?

We're not a christian country, we're a secular country, bar a few anomalies like the Queen being head of the CofE and head of state, and anglican bishops automatically getting seats in the House of Lords.

In Britain people can believe whatever they want. I'm an atheist and christianity doesn't affect my daily life in any way whatsoever. If Britain genuinely was a christian country, that wouldn't be the case. I'd be discriminated against for not being a christian.

Absolutely, and long may it remain secular.

As far as, "We are a Christian country, so naturally we have the heart to tolerate other religions" is concerned, sorry, but there's no "naturally" about it. There are plenty of Christians who are not in the least bit tolerant towards other religions or, for that matter, towards Christians who don't follow their particular version of the faith. And the same can be said for other religions.

"atheists can criticize other faiths and label themselves superior and not get in trouble for it," - well, atheists don't have the monopoly on that, do they? Christians, Muslims, etc, are equally convinced they are superior, because they follow their faith.

"we don't tolerate extremist Muslims for example," - we don't tolerate Muslims who incite hatred and violence towards others - or Christians who do the same. But I can't remember any cases of atheists standing up and saying that all people who follow a religion are fair game and inciting fellow atheists to go and kill them.

"in recent times we have tolerated atheism and freedom of speech but do you think there should be laws put in place to limit this sort of dillusional nastiness by people who think that there brain is better and their opinions are absolute facts just because they don't believe in God" - people have been allowed to express their opinion on religion and atheism for some considerable time, it is not a recent phenomenon. Not all atheists are disillusioned and nasty, any more than all Christians are self-righteous, bigoted and think that everyone who doesn't follow their particular brand of religion is doomed to burn in hell.

atheism is a lack of belief in deities. it is impossible to extremely not have something

what drivel!

Of course I don't mean all atheists, there are extremists in every belief system.

Of course I don't mean all atheists, there are extremists in every belief system.

So why was your post aimed at the atheists only, and not a general query as to why we allow extremists of any belief?