Barber road services Oughtibridge

me,my brother&my late father worked with the firms cat (jim hatfield) & many other dodgey drivers & yard workers

Your dad used to take me fishing on the river Trent when I was a kid, top bloke he was.

yep your right -i was mates with his son Steven -not seen either for years

Les had a garage on Middlewood road for years.

Hi Mr Benn,

Les is my uncle, not seen him or Steven for years, think Steven went to live in Ireland, will have to catch up with them one day.

Andy.

barbers were owned by brothers john and roy,john was the businesside and roy the mechanical side. roy was a great guy and would nearly always be in overalls,john ran the business side i thjnk he became chairman of the road haulage ass.r.d.b started by buying bradshaw and bly bedford lorries and was run by mr bantam.a guy named ron poole did the night trunk for barber rd to bishop stortford.before they had the rutherglen depot.they used freightliner,then fred hunter took over.barber rd and r.d.b grew very quick.mr bantam sold out to j.j.shepperd and i think barber rd. went bust.

barbers were owned by brothers john and roy,john was the businesside and roy the mechanical side. roy was a great guy and would nearly always be in overalls,john ran the business side i thjnk he became chairman of the road haulage ass.r.d.b started by buying bradshaw and bly bedford lorries and was run by mr bantam.a guy named ron poole did the night trunk for barber rd to bishop stortford.before they had the rutherglen depot.they used freightliner,then fred hunter took over.barber rd and r.d.b grew very quick.mr bantam sold out to j.j.shepperd and i think barber rd. went bust.

Didn't RDB run a night trunk to London Colney for Skefco,the ball bearing company?

I worked with Dave and Jim for a few years i left in 79 just before the warehouse was built, im sure Dave and Jim traveled to work together in a mucky old Volvo, i think they came from S12 area and im sure they were related possibly brother in laws.

About 10 years ago when on holiday, I drove about an hour out of Paphos up into the mountains. Stuck in one corner of a farmers field was a RDB box van body. How? Why? When? I've no idea.

I worked with Dave and Jim for a few years i left in 79 just before the warehouse was built, im sure Dave and Jim traveled to work together in a mucky old Volvo, i think they came from S12 area and im sure they were related possibly brother in laws.

That must have been his old white volvo :hihi:

Hi Mr Benn,

Les is my uncle, not seen him or Steven for years, think Steven went to live in Ireland, will have to catch up with them one day.

Andy.

i was at school with steven from the infants right up to Bradfield . we were in the same year and we were good mates . what is his sister Zena up too these days ?

they did run trunk to s.k.f. we used to play them at cricket for a couple of years home game at willians ground at catcliffe,away game at their own ground.we also went to scotland to play the rutherglen depot at football,it was a right kicking match played on red cinder pitch.at the birley depot we did not see much of the barber rd.side only when their lorries came in for loading or unloading.r.d.b. lorries went to oughtibridge for repair,then they built a garage at birley.

they did run trunk to s.k.f. we used to play them at cricket for a couple of years home game at willians ground at catcliffe,away game at their own ground.we also went to scotland to play the rutherglen depot at football,it was a right kicking match played on red cinder pitch.at the birley depot we did not see much of the barber rd.side only when their lorries came in for loading or unloading.r.d.b. lorries went to oughtibridge for repair,then they built a garage at birley.

Hi Kenny.

I've got a photo somewhere of an RDB/Hunter's drawbar on the A74 but there's no gallery on this forum to post it on.

Do you happen to know what became of R.H.Kitchens who were near Gleadless Church and moved into the East End of town.Most of their work was for River Don Works,in the 70s.

sorry do not know,transport firms i remember were,askeys still going,booths who had firemen working for them on their days off,sandygate who collected from tempered springs harry gill,bradleys who did guest and grimes from rotherham all types of water valves used to trap your fingers.r.d.b had their own lorries doing collections from all over sheffield/rotherham/chesterfield,every product you could imagine.it was stored on trailers outside steel,castings,agricultural blades from spaffords.it was the coldest place i ever worked at you sometimes had to clear snow off to load items.had some great mates there though and some are still there i think,we also had some very good footballers.

Hi Kenny.

I've got a photo somewhere of an RDB/Hunter's drawbar on the A74 but there's no gallery on this forum to post it on.

Do you happen to know what became of R.H.Kitchens who were near Gleadless Church and moved into the East End of town.Most of their work was for River Don Works,in the 70s.

Remember one of Kitchens going into the river at wharncliffe side, slid on the ice and through the bridge parapet, we had a spate of them in the early 80s, BSC GUY J4 went through the wall behind my mums, then the one of Kitchens and one of Archbolds(Leeds) across the field and into the river opposite side of road from the Kitchens one, supposedly loaded with whiskey, cops guarded it all night till they turned up to recover it