Barber road services Oughtibridge

Hi , i am looking to get in touch with some of the people that used to work for the barbers , is anybody still in contact with Jim Hadfield ? I Know his son started this forum off thanks :)

i was at school with steven from the infants right up to Bradfield . we were in the same year and we were good mates . what is his sister Zena up too these days ?

Hi Mr Benn, bit of a late reply :hihi: I've not seen Zena for about 15 years.

Hi , i am looking to get in touch with some of the people that used to work for the barbers , is anybody still in contact with Jim Hadfield ? I Know his son started this forum off thanks :)

sent you a pm :)

I worked for C.H.Preston haulage contractors on Woodburn Road in 1968/9 and we had an Albion Reiver 719 SNU that was ex Riley's Transport.I remember Barber Road and also Proctors in Rotherham who had the same livery.RDB used a drawbar on the Scotch trunk I think,maybe a Seddon Atki,when they were running out of Birley Vale.I take it J.J.Shepherd are still in that depot?

What happened to Ross Garages I remember them in the 70s,they had well trailers for steel coil - luxury:)

Do you know what happened to Robert (Bob) Bingley from C H Preston? I know he ran the company until it closed in around 1984. I lost touch with him when I left Sheffield in 1985. I was the accountant for L Wilson & Son (Haulage) Ltd when they were at Middlewood Garage. Does anyone remember them?

Hi foxtalbot2.

I left Prestons in 1969 so I don't know what happened to Bob Bingley after that.His nephew,another Bob Bingley was getting more involved with the "office" side of the job and I took his wagon out several times when he was grounded,an Albion Chieftan unit it was,SWB 425F - how's that for a memory?:D

I also remember Wilson's at Middlewood,and IIRC they did a lot for Tinsley Wire,green motors and mostly 4-wheelers.One of the Wilsons,Shaun,worked as a TSM for Wincanton,Maltby when I was there,a great bloke to work with.

Chris

Do you know what happened to Robert (Bob) Bingley from C H Preston? I know he ran the company until it closed in around 1984. I lost touch with him when I left Sheffield in 1985. I was the accountant for L Wilson & Son (Haulage) Ltd when they were at Middlewood Garage. Does anyone remember them?

yeah my dad worked for wilsons for about 30 years. i can remember when they were based at walkley

Hi foxtalbot2.

I left Prestons in 1969 so I don't know what happened to Bob Bingley after that.His nephew,another Bob Bingley was getting more involved with the "office" side of the job and I took his wagon out several times when he was grounded,an Albion Chieftan unit it was,SWB 425F - how's that for a memory?:D

I also remember Wilson's at Middlewood,and IIRC they did a lot for Tinsley Wire,green motors and mostly 4-wheelers.One of the Wilsons,Shaun,worked as a TSM for Wincanton,Maltby when I was there,a great bloke to work with.

Chris

Yes it is Bob Bingley the younger that I was trying to trace. He had stopped driving and had been running the firm for several years when I knew him.

I was first involved with Wilsons when they were at Hadfield Street before they bought Middlewood Garage which had been Sheaf Motors. Shaun is young Lou Wilson`s son and I remember him from being a young lad. Wilsons as you rightly remember had green motors with the chassis and wheels painted red. When I was first at Middlewood there were 12 four wheelers and 2 artics. The four wheelers were Leyland Mastiffs in those days plus two Guys.

yeah my dad worked for wilsons for about 30 years. i can remember when they were based at walkley

It is almost certain then that I knew your father, I remember little Jack and Bob who both worked there for many years. They had both worked for the company at Hadfield Street before the move to Middlewood Garage.

does anyone know Billy Milton ,he was a mechanic for years at Wilsons on Hadfield st?

Yes it is Bob Bingley the younger that I was trying to trace. He had stopped driving and had been running the firm for several years when I knew him.

I was first involved with Wilsons when they were at Hadfield Street before they bought Middlewood Garage which had been Sheaf Motors. Shaun is young Lou Wilson`s son and I remember him from being a young lad. Wilsons as you rightly remember had green motors with the chassis and wheels painted red. When I was first at Middlewood there were 12 four wheelers and 2 artics. The four wheelers were Leyland Mastiffs in those days plus two Guys.

The last time I saw young Bob was in the early 70s.He came round to my house asking if I wanted my job back but I had started at A.E.Evans tankers by then.He had the chance of some traction only work out of BOC Transhield at Barnsley on the M and S contract and was struggling to find drivers who would start at 1-00 am through to 4-00am.I think he lived in Brincliffe until he got married but I lost touch after that - like you do:roll:

I don't know where Shaun Wilson is now,he was made redundant at Maltby in 2005,same as me,nice feller.

does anyone know Billy Milton ,he was a mechanic for years at Wilsons on Hadfield st?

Yes I knew Bill Milton, I was working at Wilsons at the time he left in about 1980 but I have not seen him since then.

Yes I knew Bill Milton, I was working at Wilsons at the time he left in about 1980 but I have not seen him since then.

I know Bill Milton, hes my uncle