Speed cameras on 20 MPH roads

Sadly, most cannot. And that's why roads which used to just have signs enforcing the law now have cameras to make sure it's enforced.

The Snake Pass was a great drivers road. The 60mph speed limit was fast enough, but the amount of stupid actions by bikers and drivers have resulted in a lower limit and hidden cameras, spoiling it for everyone who used to enjoy it.

Absolute rubbish, how can you generalise like that? Have you seen most drivers in the country driving? No, then stop making huge judgements based on your little knowledge of the matter.

A hidden camera is not a deterrent what so ever, it only deters after the fact, i.e. after you have been speeding, they do not prevent people from driving at excessive speed.

So the question remains, why are they there? No one will ever know for sure as there are too many people involved, but as the law has been changed and the restrictions on where the cash can go have been lifted, Gordon Brown is reaping the rewards as this huge pot of cash is being slowly poured back into the government.

TAX, its nothing more than a tax. The Labour party know full well how unpopular tax rises are but they need to pay for all their quango’s and all these extra civil servants.

Road tax's hidden in fines for something that has been demonised by the government are easy to enforce and get the backing of the majority of the population for all manner of agendas.

The facts are there, even though the labour controlled agency that made them only tentatively released them on the quite. Around 5% of accidents are casued by speed.

The idea about UHT milk was accompanied by the emphatic statement by the authors of the report that they would in no way seek to force the public to change their habits and make them buy the stuff.

The area in which the 20 mph speed limit has been in place (forget the name of the town) has also been the recipient of a "hands off" policy towards its enforcement under which the local authority pretty much trusted motorists to follow the rules rather than fining them at any given opportunity.

Most of the think tank ideas are just that..ideas.

The idea about UHT milk was accompanied by the emphatic statement by the authors of the report that they would in no way seek to force the public to change their habits and make them buy the stuff.

The area in which the 20 mph speed limit has been in place (forget the name of the town) has also been the recipient of a "hands off" policy towards its enforcement under which the local authority pretty much trusted motorists to follow the rules rather than fining them at any given opportunity.

That would be Portsmouth - and as far as I can tell it seems to be working :)

That would be Portsmouth - and as far as I can tell it seems to be working :)

Oh lordy!!!

It'll be the rapture next!:hihi:

Absolute rubbish, how can you generalise like that? Have you seen most drivers in the country driving? No, then stop making huge judgements based on your little knowledge of the matter.

A hidden camera is not a deterrent what so ever, it only deters after the fact, i.e. after you have been speeding, they do not prevent people from driving at excessive speed.

TAX, its nothing more than a tax. The Labour party know full well how unpopular tax rises are but they need to pay for all their quango’s and all these extra civil servants.

Phew, some rubbish there to discuss!

1) Been driving twenty years. At one time I worked as a consultant doing around 50,000 miles a year for three years, so I've done my fair share of driving.

2) A hidden camera IS a deterrent. It deters me from speeding on a road where I don't know if there is a camera hidden. In fact, it deters me from speeding on all roads. If you're too stupid or ignorant not to follow the rules of the road then you deserve any penalties you get, and maybe should consider extra lessons if you cannot maintain your road speed - like you are taught during your driving lessons, and tested on during your driving test.

3) It's not a tax whatsoever, because you are not forced to pay it.

I'd definitely like to see something done about the vast volumes of food wastage just because supermarkets arent prepared to pay for fruit & veg which are non-standardised sizes and shapes.

Supermarkets are prepared to stock whatever customers buy; and customers don't buy weird-shaped fruit & veg.

TAX, its nothing more than a tax.

A tax on idiots who can't keep to the speed limit. Stay within the limit and you don't have to pay. Simple. Anyone would think you habitually ignore speed limits, the fuss you're making about it.

That is not a proof, it's someone with a theory that covers part of the situation. The theory is based on EPA data which (using the links from the article) does not appear to include aerodynamic drag and as such must be considered seriously flawed. More importantly, it does not take into account acceleration which happens frequently on the type of street that the proposed law would affect.

I know it's a bit extreme and will NEVER happen (A bit like that 90's programme "It'll never work" I guess) All cars from when this stupid "Law" kicks in should be built in with some kind of gadget that automaticly recieved signal when it enters a 20 mph zone (Or any other speed limit zone for that matter) and then limit you car to doing the required limit. Or, send a signal to the police when ever a driver exeeds the speed limit. It would take some time and money....Oh wait, it will take mopney, from the governmwnts pocket....Nah!!!! It'll never happen then!!

Ah, the 'we emphatically state... it was just an idea that found it's way in to the public domain..' ploy.

Just as I said it would (when the reaction by the public was negative).

Sorry, Carmine, but you've just confirmed my point - these 'ideas' do not just happen to fall out of the committees or reports or whatever noun that is used to describe them.

They are carefully and cleverly positioned to test public opinion without it actually looking as those the govt is actually proposing to do them.

'Leaks' are an age old way of policies that might be controversial being 'tested' before being released (or buried forever).

Blair/Brown's Labour govt have turned this in to an art form.

Do not be suckered in to thinking any of this is just by accident.

There is no such thing as a motiveless crime.

So you have been driving for years does that make you the high almighty authority of the British driving habits?

Talk about delusions of grandeur!

The fact still remains, that more people die each year on our hospitals from infections than those who die on the roads. But the government’s response to this is to tell people to wash their hands. More and more cameras are being put up every year, but road deaths are rising, Speed cameras are not preventing these deaths!

According to police data exceeding the speed limit is the cause of only 4% of accidents. Why not refocus resources on the other 96% of causes? Because there is no money in it!

Speed cameras are not measured for success by the number of lives they save, but by the amount of money they generate (£120,000,000 in 2003)

1) Been driving twenty years. At one time I worked as a consultant doing around 50,000 miles a year for three years, so I've done my fair share of driving.

2) A hidden camera IS a deterrent. It deters me from speeding on a road where I don't know if there is a camera hidden. In fact, it deters me from speeding on all roads. If you're too stupid or ignorant not to follow the rules of the road then you deserve any penalties you get, and maybe should consider extra lessons if you cannot maintain your road speed - like you are taught during your driving lessons, and tested on during your driving test.

3) It's not a tax whatsoever, because you are not forced to pay it.

Re point 3 - great, so anyone who has been issued with a fixed penalty notice isn't forced to pay it!?!? Hmm, what about the 'force' of the law.

re point 2 - a hidden camera is NOT a deterrent. The Speed limit is/should be the deterrent. A hidden camera is a statement that people will speed and therefore we will catch them, fine them (very important - oh, and despite what you say, you HAVE to pay the fine) and you will have points put on your licence.

The law should be the deterrent.

Put it this way, it is illegal for any police officer to contrive a situation that lures anyone to break the law. That is called entrapment.

I do not see how a camera hidden on a road catching speeding motorists is anything other than entrapment.

You can sit there and be all holier than thou - 'if you don't speed, you don't get caught' but the fact of the matter is, no matter how hard you may try, with the number of laws, bye-laws, regulations and so on and so forth, I was say that it is impossible not to contravene at least one such 'law' during your waking day.