Speed cameras on 20 MPH roads

A recent speed check in this village showed that the average speed in the 30 zone was 37 mph. Most of those caught speeding actually live in the village. We now have a 20 mph speed limit with speed indicator signs. Estimated average speed 27 mph. There is of course the idiot who will not take any notice of the signs. Speed traps are going to come on in a week or so.

Safer for the majority but then along comes the I don't care driver and the whole system goes to pot. It has been proved that if drivers on motorways kept at 5 mph below the speed limit, it would leave a margin of speed to overtake. Traffic moves smoother, fewer hold ups and oddly enough the journey times are not extended by much. Better to travel for one hour at 50 mph than twenty minuets 90 the 20 minuets at 35, the 20 minuets in a traffic jam at 3 mph

On which goverment web site did you get that twoddle.

if you think the roads are safer than 5 years ago your living in cloud.....

It has been proved that if drivers on motorways kept at 5 mph below the speed limit, it would leave a margin of speed to overtake. Traffic moves smoother, fewer hold ups and oddly enough the journey times are not extended by much.
I have often heard this claimed, but I am yet to see it proven.

There's some simple maths you can do over this sort of thing. If cars need a minimum safe separation when they're cruising along on the motorway, then there's a finite number of cars that a stretch of motorway has capacity for - everybody has to agree that - just add the separation distance and average car length together, and see how many times it fits into the length of road times the number of lanes. With the motorway at capacity in terms of space, the throughput of cars increases with speed. Slow the cars down, and less go through each hour.

Better to travel for one hour at 50 mph than twenty minuets 90 the 20 minuets at 35, the 20 minuets in a traffic jam at 3 mph
In theory, yes, but in practice?

A recent speed check in this village showed that the average speed in the 30 zone was 37 mph. Most of those caught speeding actually live in the village. We now have a 20 mph speed limit with speed indicator signs. Estimated average speed 27 mph. There is of course the idiot who will not take any notice of the signs. Speed traps are going to come on in a week or so.
Where's that then?

Maybe hes not an idiot,maybe he can clearly see that there the road is clear,no pedestrians no kids and no likley hood of there being any.

if speed kills then the roads must be a real mess because 2 million tickets were issued last year.funny though not one of them caused and accident whilst doing so

Speed traps are increased at this time of year anyway..i have seen lots here and there over the last 2 weeks or so, the reason is that traffic is increased at this time of year..xmas shoppers, delevery drivers with tighter deadlines etc PLUS by 'pulling' speeding motorists they also get the opportunity to breath test drivers who may have been on the p*** the previous night.

Guest Mod_Man

This thread has yet again shown just how thick and arrogant car owner/drivers are. Get the point, don't break the speed limit and the camera won't get you, seriously, how hard is that to understand? I'm amazed some of you passed your test. Oh and yes I can drive a car, I have owned cars, I gave it all up because there are way too many prats on the road, as is evident in this thread.

This thread has yet again shown just how thick and arrogant car owner/drivers are. Get the point, don't break the speed limit and the camera won't get you, seriously, how hard is that to understand? I'm amazed some of you passed your test. Oh and yes I can drive a car, I have owned cars, I gave it all up because there are way too many prats on the road, as is evident in this thread.

So now you spend all your time at home rambling aimlessly on forums?

Guest Mod_Man
So now you spend all your time at home rambling aimlessly on forums?

I'm not the one arguing the toss about speed cameras. Like I have said, it really is that simple, don't go over the speed limit and the camera won't get you.

For somebody who was overwhelmed by driving to the extent that he had to give it up, you are rather offensive towards those of us who are able to deal with it.

We make choices. In many cases, the arbitrary limits are nonsensical and therefore we exceed them - on quiet roads, with no pedestrians, in clear conditions and light or no traffic.

We also slow to less than the limit when conditions require it - because we are capable of making a judgement.

When the speed limits were enforced by traffic Policemen, they themselves applied judgement, and only pulled cars that were speeding inappropriately – when necessary, they’d throw the book at an idiot but they would ignore ‘safe speeding’ and advise accordingly when they thought a driver just needed a reminder.

Cameras are indiscriminate revenue pullers – no more, no less. They control speed a hundred yards either side of their site, and contribute to emissions by causing drivers to brake then accelerate again. They are a nonsense, despised by 95% of drivers, and invariably sited not on dangerous roads, but on profitable roads.

Perhaps only thick, arrogant prats can see this.

I have often heard this claimed, but I am yet to see it proven.

There's some simple maths you can do over this sort of thing. If cars need a minimum safe separation when they're cruising along on the motorway, then there's a finite number of cars that a stretch of motorway has capacity for - everybody has to agree that - just add the separation distance and average car length together, and see how many times it fits into the length of road times the number of lanes. With the motorway at capacity in terms of space, the throughput of cars increases with speed. Slow the cars down, and less go through each hour.

In theory, yes, but in practice?

Don't tell me that you have not been driving and been overtaken by some one speeding and then found that two miles further down the road they are just two cars in font of you. They have gained sod all. Probably annoyed you so that you may do something just as stupid and it may be you that has the accident. Aesop had it right "Tortoise and Hare" or "More Haste Less Speed" should be "More Speed Less Progress"

Don't tell me that you have not been driving and been overtaken by some one speeding and then found that two miles further down the road they are just two cars in font of you. They have gained sod all. Probably annoyed you so that you may do something just as stupid and it may be you that has the accident. Aesop had it right "Tortoise and Hare" or "More Haste Less Speed" should be "More Speed Less Progress"
Yes, I've seen that many times. But not as many times as the car travelling faster has reached his destination quicker.

Forgetting the fable about the tortoise and the hare is a . . . fable.

Hares, I can assure you, get where they're going more quickly than tortoises. My dog found that out last month when he chased a hare for about half a mile across an airfield before he gave up, knackered.