Speed cameras on 20 MPH roads

Maybe they reason that people who find it acceptable to do 40 in a 20 zone will do 50 in a 30 zone? Just a thought.

Maybe some drivers use their noggin rather than obeying stupied ass laws that are put there to make money,make no sense,and actually increase the dangers.

The point is the more conjestion they cause the louder they can shout for us paying more!!

thats the point, its gives an excuse for yet another tax, a congestion charge, but first they have to cause the congestion.

sheffield has been trying its best with potholes, crazy one-way systems, super-expensive public transport, no car parks & all the road works, but its not enough yet, now we need a 20mph limit, just to make sure the roads stop moving, so they have an excuse to charge us more.

If they put them round Schools then thats fine,most people would support that I think but not a general road coverage. I think its about money making like anything the goverment seem to come up with.

I live on a 20 mph road. The speed limit is because there is a playground and a school, but it isn't enforced at all. People regularly do approx 40 mph down our road, but we can't get any traffic calming because no-one's been killed yet. What is the point in having a 20 mph limit if no-one's enforcing it? I think a camera would be great, because I don't want it to be my child who becomes the fatality which gets us traffic-calming.

Although I am against the mobile camera's, you can request the Safety Camera (Money Making) Partnership people to spend time on your road.

There are two reasons for their presence.

1. To be stationed on a road where there have been at least 3 (this may be incorrect - it may be less or more than this, I'm not entirely certain) fatalities in the last 5 years.

2. At residents requests.

I know this because I have one of those vehicle regularly parked outside my house on a stretch of road that, in the 8 years I've lived on it, there has never been so much as a minor crash, let alone a fatality, and I questioned this with the camera operator. To which he replied 'we are here at the request of local residents'.

The law is the law and fixed, visible speed camera's, while annoying, do act as some kind of deterrent.

Mobile camera's, strategically positioned and hidden from view until the last moment (way beyond the point at which you are 'seen' by them) is not a deterrent - it is simply a means of making money.

The points on the licence of the motorist are a nuisance (for the motorist), but it's the money from the fine that is all important.

And, I would like to say, no matter how much do-gooding, liberal wet blanket, nanny, despots say differently, if something is visible, it's a deterrent, when something is hidden from view, it's no deterrent.

Or, to put it another way - if the aim is to make drivers slow down when driving by a school playground, why hide?

How better would it make the parent of a child that has just been killed by a speeding motorist feel to discover that at least the driver was caught on camera and will get a fine and points on their licence (when, if the camera had been visible, that speeding driver may well have slowed down to prevent getting caught)?

Today it has been reported that speed limits should reduced to 20mph in built up areas.

Yesterday another government report suggested that we all switch to UHT milk, because it does not require refridgeration.

Supermarkets would not need to have or run as many refridgerators in their stores, thus reducing the emissions of greenhouse gases.

Tomorrow, no doubt, another report will encourage us to take deeper breaths and hold them longer before exhaing, thus reducing the amount of oxygen being used up and slowing down the release of carbon dioxide.

Come on, is it me or is everything just getting a little stupid and senseless?

What is more frightening, though...

These people actually hold positions of power and influence over our lives :help::help::help::confused:

Maybe some drivers use their noggin .

Sadly, most cannot. And that's why roads which used to just have signs enforcing the law now have cameras to make sure it's enforced.

The Snake Pass was a great drivers road. The 60mph speed limit was fast enough, but the amount of stupid actions by bikers and drivers have resulted in a lower limit and hidden cameras, spoiling it for everyone who used to enjoy it.

I see nothing wrong with reducing the speed limit to 20mph in built up residential areas. I also support removing a restriction on motorway speeds. That seems a fairly sensible suggestion.

this says that there is a certain amount of truth in the UHT story, however, the most likely outcome is that it was an option considered as part of a wide ranging paper on the dairy industry. When I've done assignments at university, its been part of the course to come up with alternatives and then constructively dismiss them.

Sadly, most cannot. And that's why roads which used to just have signs enforcing the law now have cameras to make sure it's enforced.

The Snake Pass was a great drivers road. The 60mph speed limit was fast enough, but the amount of stupid actions by bikers and drivers have resulted in a lower limit and hidden cameras, spoiling it for everyone who used to enjoy it.

The more you treat people like idiots the more they act like them!!

If they put them round Schools then thats fine,most people would support that I think but not a general road coverage. I think its about money making like anything the goverment seem to come up with.

according to a spokesman on the JV show - there are less accidents on the road near a school than other places(apart from the motorways). apparently drivers are aware of the risks and drive accordingly.

I see nothing wrong with reducing the speed limit to 20mph in built up residential areas. I also support removing a restriction on motorway speeds. That seems a fairly sensible suggestion.

this says that there is a certain amount of truth in the UHT story, however, the most likely outcome is that it was an option considered as part of a wide ranging paper on the dairy industry. When I've done assignments at university, its been part of the course to come up with alternatives and then constructively dismiss them.

There is such a thing as 'free will'. Reducing speed limits in built up areas, more importantly, around schools and playgrounds, has it's merit, granted.

The big problem is where will it stop?

We have a government at the moment that has introduced more laws on to the statute book than any other government in history. Not to mention the largest increase in indirect taxation since Peel introduced income tax!!

The UHT thing is probably somebody 'thinking out loud' - I know enough about the way government works (at least, the Blair/Brown version of government) to know that most 'leaks' are carefully contrived and are used to gauge public reaction. If it's seriously negative, then the minister for whatever govt dept can come out and say 'this was something under discussion and, as such, was never intended for public consumption'.

Of course, if no one gets angry about it, then it becomes reality.

Don't get me wrong, I am an avid follower of politics, but there is little doubt that the way politics is thesedays is significantly different to the way it was 20 or so years ago (and I don't mean because of different times).

I'd certainly like to see reduced speed limits - drivers treat through roads in residential areas like they're racing tracks.

And although this isnt about UHT milk, I'd definitely like to see something done about the vast volumes of food wastage just because supermarkets arent prepared to pay for fruit & veg which are non-standardised sizes and shapes.

all they are making money get rid of them