Speed cameras on 20 MPH roads

And you think this is a bad thing why exactly?

If it cuts down on the number of morons who use excessive speed on residential and urban roads (many of whom don't need to drive such short distances anyway, they're just bloody lazy) where's the problem?

Nothing but yet another bucket full of cash for the government to waste.

They must be salivating at the prospect.

If it cuts down on the number of morons who use excessive speed on residential and urban roads (many of whom don't need to drive such short distances anyway, they're just bloody lazy) where's the problem?

is 25mph excessive?

people who do 40 or 50 on residential roads arent suddenly likely to start respecting the new limit & driving 19mph, this is just to criminalise normal, safe, drivers.

i have to agree, this country is going downhill. far too many laws telling people how to live their lives & far too many mini-hitlers enforcing & celebrating those laws.

cant smoke inside, cant drive over 20mph, whats next? in a couple of years we wont be able leave the house without breaking 10 laws.

I live on a 20 mph road. The speed limit is because there is a playground and a school, but it isn't enforced at all. People regularly do approx 40 mph down our road, but we can't get any traffic calming because no-one's been killed yet. What is the point in having a 20 mph limit if no-one's enforcing it? I think a camera would be great, because I don't want it to be my child who becomes the fatality which gets us traffic-calming.

Ahmen!

I worried that when my kids are born, they'll be wisked away and locked in a room, padded with bubble wrapp!! I mean, I'm 18 now and my Dad tells mr things he could have done back when his hair wasn't so grey. They could get away witha lot of stuff I would get 10 years for if I was to do it today!! It's rediculas!! 20mph!! I'd love to see Gordon Brown pants driving 20 mph everywhere. It wouldn't last 2 mins. It's just giving criminals more and more free time to do what they want, whilst the "Police" are wasting their time arresting people for driving 25 mph to the shops for a loaf of bread and a Jar of coffee!

I dread to think what I'm unable to do when I hit 21 :(

They will have to change laws in order to allow country wide 20mph limits, more to allow enforcement, more because cars speedometers aren't required to be accurate below 30mph, more because speed cameras aren't type approved at 20mph.

They will have to spend millions on signage, as not ALL roads currently at 30mph will become 20mph.

This despite their OWN figures showing exceeding the speed limit as causing only 5% of accidents, more of their own figures showing that accidents tend to be more severe in the 20mph area already existing (possibly due to pedestrians believing they can just step out?) and that the people most likely to exceed limits by huge margins are likely to be those without insurance, tax, licence, their own car... ie those untraceable ones most likely to cause the accidents rather than most of those who will get caught speeding by a small margin.

I'd rather have a camera on a residential road used as a rat run than I would on a clear strip of dual carriageway, irrespective of the speed limit.

If people can't be trusted to drive at a low speed where there are likely to be children, pets and generally careless pedestriants around, then something needs to be done to encourage them.

My only concern would be the accuracy of the cameras at low speeds.

I live on a 20 mph road. The speed limit is because there is a playground and a school, but it isn't enforced at all. People regularly do approx 40 mph down our road, but we can't get any traffic calming because no-one's been killed yet. What is the point in having a 20 mph limit if no-one's enforcing it? I think a camera would be great, because I don't want it to be my child who becomes the fatality which gets us traffic-calming.

Yes, I also agree with you. Round schools and playground there should be 20 mph speed cameras, but not on an estate where there is no park or school. Peplr are not daft. People do not fly past schools at 50 mph (During school hours)

It's just a bit of common sence that needs knocking onto a few heads.

bring back hard hitting adverts of children getting hot by cars out side sachool/playgrounds. I know it's not nice to see, but it's effective for sure!