Aged 16 to 25? What would make you volunteer?

Volunteering and you  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Volunteering and you

• I am currently a volunteer or have volunteered previously
    • I am looking for a volunteering opportunity
    • I would consider volunteering
    • I would never volunteer my services

The Government is about to realease 76 million pounds over the next three years through 'V' to promote volunteering opportunities for 16 to 25 year-olds. If you fall within this age group, what are your thoughts on volunteering and what kind of role would you be interested in?

More details here:

I think the key thing is getting people to volunteer in something they are passionate about.

I volunteered as a student at hallam uni.

I did it to give something back to the community and as a booster for my CV

Many younger people who are contemplating applying to university do some form of voluntary work as a practical means to an end.

Competition for places at some universities is so fierce, and academic achievement at the higher end of the spectrum so uniform, that admissions panels look for relevant voluntary work, for example, as a way of distinguishing between candidates of apparently similar academic ability.

For some courses, you'd be hard-pressed to gain admission without some form of relevant extra-curricular community work that demonstrates commitment to the field, for example medicine and psychology (where you've indicated an interest in clinical or occupational psychology).

The Government is about to realease 76 million pounds over the next three years through 'V' to promote volunteering opportunities for 16 to 25 year-olds. If you fall within this age group, what are your thoughts on volunteering and what kind of role would you be interested in?

More details here:

Slave labour

Pay them, if they do a days work, then give them a days pay.

They can't buy goods, pay the rent with fresh air.

If theres all that money available, why not create proper employment, and stop fiddling the unemployment figures

But what about developing new skills or giving something back to the community? There are lots of things that peple may gain from volunteering, however I wonder if there is a 'hidden' agenda in targeting this specific age-group.

But what about developing new skills or giving something back to the community? There are lots of things that peple may gain from volunteering, however I wonder if there is a 'hidden' agenda in targeting this specific age-group.

But what about developing new skills or giving something back to the community? But what about paying them some money, pay the rent etc... yes but, no but..... Giving something back to the community? why should they? giving something for nothing don't put a roof over your head, put food on the table etc...

however I wonder if there is a 'hidden' agenda in targeting this specific age-group. You have to say the unemployment lists will be reduced somewhat, they government of the day can then say, "Oh yes, low unemployment etc... marvelous "

I'd rather my own kids did cash in hand work than slave labour (sorry, volunteered for their community)

Mr Busdriver. There are lots of reasons why people choose to volunteer. Many volunteers are in paid work. Volunteering is about choice. As soon as someone is paid for their time, they are no longer volunteering.

Some people choose to give something back - for no monetary reward. It appears you have difficulty with this concept.

Mr Busdriver. There are lots of reasons why people choose to volunteer. Many volunteers are in paid work. Volunteering is about choice. As soon as someone is paid for their time, they are no longer volunteering.

Some people choose to give something back - for no monetary reward. It appears you have difficulty with this concept.

No worrys, we'll have to agree to disagree.

As long as young people aren't being used, thats the main thing

Slave labour

Pay them, if they do a days work, then give them a days pay.

They can't buy goods, pay the rent with fresh air.

If theres all that money available, why not create proper employment, and stop fiddling the unemployment figures

well my son is 13 soon and already volunteers - being a volunteer myself and having the opportunities to enable him to volunteer he has to, its in the family contract.

Hopefully he will continue to do this of his own volition as he gets older. :)

edit: and I also work for a living too mr busdriver

have volunteered previously ...

If you like what you can do... then..

volunteering is good for the soul.