New Motorway Plans

How do people feel about the new road plans  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How do people feel about the new road plans

• I agree, it is what we have needed for a long time!
    • Definatly not. Its a waste of time!

The government has announced a new road building plan which has included the M1 near Sheffield. From Junctions 30 up to 42. This would mean a four lane motorway. How do people feel about these proposals? Does anyone know how they are going to be able to get four lanes of traffic along either side of the tinsley viaduct? are they planning some supports etc...?

What I imagine they'd do is similar to the A1(M) near Peterboro'

Because that goes from a 2 lane duel carriageway, to a 3 Lane Motorway and on to a 4 lane Motorway, and then back down to a 2 lane duel carriageway.

I think the widening of the motorways is not going to get to the route of the problem... The extra lane is not going to make much diffence to your journey time.

What we need is more reliable trains, extensions of the tram and the only road we need is a proper dual carridgeway to from Sheffield to Manchester. That would get rid of the long journeys via Leeds

More lanes on motorways is just a botch job really. I can only imagine the trains getting better if they were taken back into public ownership and rather than hiring firms to do maintainance work hire the people who can do it directly. This would save lots of money and make everyone happy. We can then get some more tilting trains and make tracks they can run on. Once that's done we can combat the busses.

The main problem with busses is that its a struggle to find out when and where to get one which goes where you want to go. There is another problem for most places, which is the regularity of the busses. I have another gripe whch is the leg room once your on the bus as well.

I would increase the number of busses and make a national network with new busses and release an A-Z style book for people who want to know how to get about. Bus times should be as straightforward as "Evey 15 minutes from 3 minutes past the hour." All busses would have a map of where they go with all stops marked. There would be more leg room as well. There would also be space under the seats for shopping.

I would charge £20-£30 per month for unlimited travel on any train or bus. There would be a public transport revolution with the car relegated to those who feel that their money is for wasting. Now there are 60 Million in the country - say two thirds were to pay the monthly fee. I'll work on £25 per month. 40million x £25 = £1billion per month. Surely that covers all the costs. Well maybe not, the NHS are spending £50bn a year for the next three years. £12bn a year for transport might just about cover it though.

Widening them is a start. More roads would be better. Imagine if there was a motorway parallel to the M1 so drivers had the choice of 2 motorways for similar journeys. The traffic would halve instantly and there'd be more capacity for future increases in traffic volume. Also, increase the speed limit from 70mph to 80mph.

I'm sure that during very busy periods, widening roads will help. However, a lot of money, time and effort could be saved if we were to simply educate drivers with regards to correct motorway driving.

I've just spent the weekend in london and found myself frequently slowed down to 50mph or slower just because someone is sitting in the middle, or outside lane plodding along. Driving such as this effectively turns 3 lanes into 2, sometimes 1. Please, please, please overtake and then return to the left lane!! I really think it should be an offence, it encourages frustrated drivers to undertake and wastes swathes of useful motorway space.:evil:

I think that at best, a fourth lane is a short term solution. What the government needs to do is to provide a decent PUBLIC TRANSPORT system so that a larger number of people leave their cars at home. And when I say PUBLIC, that's what I mean.

ie. Re-nationalise the railways, and put the infra-structure back, that has been slowly eroded over the last 40 years. Put buses and trams back in to PUBLIC ownership. The standards of all these services would improve if taken out of private, profit-driven, companies hands. :?

<applause>

I seem to remember the labour party in opposition saying something along those lines.

return public services to public ownership and start subsidising fares to the same amountas these private companies are being subsidised in order to stay afloat

Archived