Would You Buy Your Child Cigarettes?

Jason, you are one in a million (and I do not mean that in a complimentary sense).

You surely live in a bubble and, assuming you have offspring, your children must be sorely afraid of you. I can only imagine that your actions have completely stifled your children and that they now fear doing anything that might go against your puritanical, draconian views.

I listened to my parents, but I did not take absolutely everything they said to be gospel and to follow their lead. I questioned things, I forged my own viewpoints and I hope I will pass on the same to my children.

I do not want my children to glibly take note of everything a 'big' person says or does - who's to say they are right? Because they are older and, supposedly, wiser?

I have known and do know a great many 'older', so-called 'wiser' people who are complete fools. I would not listen to their 'widsom' and I would not expect my children to so.

Who wears the trousers in my house? You sound like a relice from the fifties - I have an impression of you being a man who expects, no demands, his meat n two veg on the table when he comes 'ome from pit'.

Unfortunately, I have to attend a meeting right now, but I will respond further to your comments later.

One thing for certain, you are a perfect example of a man stuck in a time zone long since past (though, maybe not in your household!)

jeremyjh1, a great post! Sadly, it's wrong on so many counts that I'll have to respond in full at a later time.

But I do appreciate the time and effort that went into it all the same.

The more you make something illegal or frowned upon, the more young people are going to want to do it.

Really? So why bother wasting your time teaching your children right from wrong?

anyone who would need s serious psychiatric help.

Jason,

I tried to send an update as an apology - as I only read the first part of your post (due to time constraints) and my anger got the better of me.

I only read the last part of the post AFTER I had posted my slightly errant, ranting reply.

I will respond later when I have more time.!!!

Will it be an offence to buy cigs for somebody under age as it is with beer , I know somebody that was fined £80 for buying beer for his 16 year old son. :huh:

no but to compare cigs to crack is a little silly isnt it?

nicoteens actually more addictive than both heroin and crack

nicoteens actually more addictive than both heroin and crack

true but i havent ever heard of anyone commting a serious crime for the fix of nicotine.

umm it i am to tell the truth i do not think i would buy my child them. i think if nothing i would try to get them help to stop

well some wouldnt buy cigs for a 17 year old. would you stop them signing up in the army thats even more dangerous?

well some wouldnt buy cigs for a 17 year old. would you stop them signing up in the army thats even more dangerous?

yes i would

Will it be an offence to buy cigs for somebody under age as it is with beer , I know somebody that was fined £80 for buying beer for his 16 year old son. :huh:

It's a fair point and I bet it's another vagery in the law that you cannot purchase cigarettes for someone under 18, but there is no law against them actually smoking under the age of eighteen.

There are similar weird laws governing the purchase and consumption of alcohol. I might be wrong, but I am sure that heard somewhere that it is not an offence for a minor to consume alcohol unless it is in a licenced premise. It is also an offence for an under age person to buy or attempt to buy alcohol or for someone over the legal age to buy or attempt to buy alcohol for a minor, but it is not an offence for that minor to consume alcohol.

Same sillyness applies to possesion of a drug, intent to supply a drug and use of a drug. Again, I could be wrong, but I think it is illegal to posses a banned drug, it is an offence to intend to supply that banned drug, but it is not an offence to use the banned drug. (This may only apply to cannabis or pot).

Anyway, the law's an ass and it is the tool those in power use to keep the unwashed in check.

Not really. I find them both as bad as each other.

Well, stop taking them then!