Baby showers?

I agree with Dan 99's comment. UK-ans don't tend to do baby showers. it's definitely mor a US-an thing.

and I have to say I agree totally with Dozy... it doesn't (much!) sound like advertising to me, either!

You would be surprised how popular baby showers are.

As you have probably gathered from my sig, i own a card/balloon/well whatever shop, and I get asked for baby shower paraphenalia almost every other day. Just like halloween really, 15 years ago I couldn't get hold of any party invites for an halloween party (my daughter was born on the 31st, and was 5 at the time) so I had to get the old clipart on and design my own!

Jayne

I always thought a baby shower was just a way for the mum t get pressies for her and baby!

Little bit greedy if you ask me!

I always thought a baby shower was just a way for the mum t get pressies for her and baby!

i agree its just another way to tax your friends and relatives like Christmas :hihi:

Generally, it is usually the mum to be's friends who organize them

Jayne

Generally, it is usually the mum to be's friends who organize them

Jayne

Dosn`t matter who organizes it, i still find it greedy!

i don't mean to put a dampener on things, but given that of the 5 people i knew that were pregnant at the same time as me, 2 of the babies died (one of which attracted a large payout from the nhs courtesy of an inexperienced surgeon).

no, i would not EVER have a baby shower. i'm not superstitious, but until there was a baby there to celebrate, no, i think it's inappropriate. i would never give someone a wedding present months before the wedding. i also think it's inappropriate to invite people over and expect them to give you gifts; personally i think that shows you up as a superficial and materialistic person that doesn't value your friends as friends. oh, and most of the baby-related stuff you get is absolute tat.

I was going to say maybe a little party after the baby is born might be ok :loopy: You can tell I've never had a baby can't you!? It occured to me that no new mum would really want all their friends over at the same time, and have to throw a party!!

You could however, have a baby shower without the presents! A party to celebrate the pregnancy and congratulate the soon to be mum. I know miscarriages happen and horrible things can occur but I have given gifts/cards to pregnant friends and they've been appreciated.

Poppins, name calling is never attractive - and you really shouldn't make assumptions about people based on one post which you may have entirely misconstrued.

What name calling Rozee :confused:

The problem with organising a baby shower is getting enough babies and a shower head and hose big enough to fit them all down.

Plus it's going to hurt when all these babies drop out of the shower onto your head.

What in the name of all that is holy is a nappy cake? :shocked:

After reading thro the responses it is clear that some folks have the wrong idea about showers...baby or bridal including the O.P.

It has been a delightful custom here in North America for a long time and NO it is NOT the recipient being greedy for gifts.

The invitees are all friends or relatives of the mom (or bride) to be and are all happy to contribute to the new baby (or home). What's wrong with giving gifts at the same time and enjoying each other's company and gift?

Usually a small get together is put on by 2 or 3 friends in a house.

Sometimes people buy a group gift or they each give a gift...the amount spent is entirely up to the giver. It most definitely is NOT like the O.P. implies.....most folks over here would be appalled if presented with that scenario.

Participation is voluntary...if you don't want to attend you stay home.

These days most baby showers are held shortly after the birth.