Are all estate agents rubbish?

We've just started looking for a new place to rent. The first one we arranged to look at was on Abbeydale through Bloors. They hadn't organised it with the tennants, who wouldn't let us (or the other 6 people) in.

Today, we stood outside a house for 20 minutes waiting for the agent from Capital estates. When we phoned, they hadn't even bothered writing the appointment down, and told us (quite arrogantly and unapologetically) that we'd have to wait another half hour at least.

Out of the three appointments we've made, Reeds Rain are the only ones who've turned up and actually managed to show us round the house. Is this gross indifference and inefeciency the norm among estate agents, or have we been unlucky?

.. yes - evil annoying idiot f**ks, with huge egos, just exist to feather their own nests with your hard earned money ..

We have just used them to sell our property. OMG CRAP! charging 1.25% for the worst service imaginable. We've sold but through no negotiation on their part. Even our purchaser has decided to deal with us directly as she has described them as a shambles. After speaking to pals though I don't think theres much between any of them.

we rent with goffs, they don't seem to have that many houses, and although they are useless at repairing things I think we've got quite a good deal. Weve got a huge flat in woodseats for quite a good price that we were allowed to decorate (and it really needed it!) Weve been here 8 months, theyre not going to put up the rent, and we'll prob stay here another year before hopefully buying our own place. The estate agent has always been polite and friendly to us.

Before that we lived in a shared house with a private landlady who was lovely!

Have looked at houses with mike jolly and I have to say, they have some awful places, but also some nice ones too. I think to be honest theyre all about as bad/good as each other, and it depends whether they actually own the house/flat or manage it for someone else as to what state it's in and how much they care! My auntie rents a flat through crapper and haigh and I think that they are more strict with the property owners- she has to repaint it every 2 years etc.

The only estate agents I've ever had a good service from were Spencers. They arranged everything they said they would, they kept me updated, and they rang me straight away when they had news for me - even though it was that my offer had been unsucessful and they had accepted another. I guess I may have been lucky, but I would definately use them again.

Others have been awful: Castle Estates, Lewis Wadsworth, Haybrook, Blundells.

I am seriously considering doing it all myself when I come to sell up.

Mike Jollys - bloody awful.

Fairways - bloody excellent!

AND it aint just estate agents that are evil annoying idiot f**ks,,,it seems to me every time i pick up he phone i have to deal with one. really cant think where i last had really good service from any company...ALWAYS an ass hole in some department !!!!!!

hell yes, overpaid, badly dressed and arrogant.....one doesn't like to generalise though!