New Gay Club To Open In Sheffield!

I was thinking (it's taken me all day)... People say there's a very small scene in sheffield (meaning a small number of people) but i reckon that its at least partially cos there's not much variety of venues.

This means that once a new place opens, the scene 'regulars' flock to it, an initial furore as others have said. Then interest wanes, or another new place comes along and things hit the skids. (ona side note, no venue ever seems to build this fact into their business plans)

1)- Niche markets: There aren't many gay places which appeal to different niches. Think about different types of music other than what i would call 'generic gay bar pop and dance' (not a technical term). Then what about places which are friendly but not cruisy- somewhere that would appeal to the settled couples among us. And the professional types. Lesbians? Rockers, indie kids, ravers. Anyone who wouldnt be impressed, actually, if they popped in during the initial 'furore' phase cos it wouldn't be their cuppa, but who needs to be drawn in after the initial opening flush...

2) The 'Gay Drain' effect: We are literally shedding people who could be potential customers for our scene- those who are attracted away from sheffield to the giddy gay heights of leeds, machester, london- so many of my gay friends go out for nights out in other cities all the time, or have moved away entirely(and they assure me it's not personal!)

3) No Pulling Power- we are a big city, not only shoul;d we be catering to our own gay population, we should be pulling em in from up and down the M1- wakefield, nottingham, etc, lots of places which are nearer to us than we are to manchester. We should be pulling in more people to our venues than we lose to other cities!

So i reckon if the scene could diversify, cater to different tastes and types, realise that at first the 'regulars' will flock in but that tyey will not be the eventual 'core' target market, continue to attract the core audience once the 'furore' phase tapers off, then the scene could develop a 'critical mass' which it never really has done, retaining our sheffield gays, and attracting in those from outside, while drawing in customers who usually would be at straight places, diner parties or just wouldnt usually go out cos it's not their thing.

Anyway, there's the business plan half done, my fees are very reasonable...!

Crickey the gay scene reminds me of buses.

We dont have much for a while, then all of a sudden we get a few venues.

We are becoming spoiled for choice. :)

Pussy Cats --> if you get going then PM me and can advertise it on my site.

But as usual, the queens will start slagging them off....

cheers damo, do you know if there is a to let board on there and is the club called crash?

From recent experience try these companies:

Lane Walker

Frank Knight

Brownhill and Vickers

They all appear to have the monopoly on property in the city centre.

Also check out the website for the new retail quarter in Sheffield. At the moment the average rent for a venue in Sheffield city centre is about £75,000 to £85,000.

1)- Niche markets: There aren't many gay places which appeal to different niches. Think about different types of music other than what i would call 'generic gay bar pop and dance' (not a technical term). Then what about places which are friendly but not cruisy- somewhere that would appeal to the settled couples among us. And the professional types. Lesbians? Rockers, indie kids, ravers.

Exactly, every place that opens in Sheffield is the same as what has just closed. Fuel closes and FAB opens as almost exactly the same thing, but in a different location, if people got bored going to Fuel they're going to get bored with FAB. There is no choice, it's twink-disco-cheese or nothing. That's where other cities succeed, there is variety and a choice.

there was a board outside, the number was 07739 040642. hope that helps!

I was thinking (it's taken me all day)... People say there's a very small scene in sheffield (meaning a small number of people) but i reckon that its at least partially cos there's not much variety of venues.

This means that once a new place opens, the scene 'regulars' flock to it, an initial furore as others have said. Then interest wanes, or another new place comes along and things hit the skids. (ona side note, no venue ever seems to build this fact into their business plans)

1)- Niche markets: There aren't many gay places which appeal to different niches. Think about different types of music other than what i would call 'generic gay bar pop and dance' (not a technical term). Then what about places which are friendly but not cruisy- somewhere that would appeal to the settled couples among us. And the professional types. Lesbians? Rockers, indie kids, ravers. Anyone who wouldnt be impressed, actually, if they popped in during the initial 'furore' phase cos it wouldn't be their cuppa, but who needs to be drawn in after the initial opening flush...

2) The 'Gay Drain' effect: We are literally shedding people who could be potential customers for our scene- those who are attracted away from sheffield to the giddy gay heights of leeds, machester, london- so many of my gay friends go out for nights out in other cities all the time, or have moved away entirely(and they assure me it's not personal!)

3) No Pulling Power- we are a big city, not only shoul;d we be catering to our own gay population, we should be pulling em in from up and down the M1- wakefield, nottingham, etc, lots of places which are nearer to us than we are to manchester. We should be pulling in more people to our venues than we lose to other cities!

So i reckon if the scene could diversify, cater to different tastes and types, realise that at first the 'regulars' will flock in but that tyey will not be the eventual 'core' target market, continue to attract the core audience once the 'furore' phase tapers off, then the scene could develop a 'critical mass' which it never really has done, retaining our sheffield gays, and attracting in those from outside, while drawing in customers who usually would be at straight places, diner parties or just wouldnt usually go out cos it's not their thing.

Anyway, there's the business plan half done, my fees are very reasonable...!

well said and absolutely accurate

But as usual, the queens will start slagging them off....

Yes I see it already started. :mad:

Hi Pussy Cats. What I would hope for in a new gay venue in sheffield is something sheffield hasn't seen before or feels it would never achieve, such as something up to date and modern, based in the city centre, obviously with all things you would expect such as friendly staff /security and comfortable surroundings, good music DJ's, something you would find in leeds/manchester. As you have pointed out there are 3 gay venues in sheffield presently. I believe there is still room for another if it offered something different to what is being offered by these 3 presently. All 3 venues offer something for differnt people so i'm not being negative when i say that

1) Dempsys is very low market (which puts a lot of younger guys, students, and gay professional people off going) the decor is very 1980's and dated. and the security are not known for their friendly warm welcoming especially to new visitors, the music at times is very poor.

2) Club XS is in a simular vain to Dempseys but is good in that it is open late the downside is often the poor dated music, and the venue being stuck in the outback away from good public transport and is very doggy when walking home in such a rough area

3) Club fab is new and will take quiet a bit of the market being the main club I haven't had a chance to check it out but lots of friends have and their opinion is that the venue is done out nicely though not very modern, the music is quiet poor very cheesy and a bit of an odd mix and the venue is way out in the sticks in a rough area were it was several years ago, also the entertainment is very dated drag acts/strippers ect. F.A.B appears to be vey popular with the older gay population which rememeber the fond times of the old sheffield gay scene when it was all based in the same area.

so to reiterate i'm not having a go at theses venues as they offer a good service to some people and they enjoy them. I just believe for something new to work it would have to be something that would attracting the many young gay people especially students that don't identify with the present gay scene and the more professional gay population that lives in sheffield but tends to go to the gay venues in leeds or manchester..

I'm waiting for the on slaughter..lol.

Sheffield is not ready for a pretentious plastic, poser-type venue.

Leeds wasnt ready neither when Fibre was dropped into it, and now it has a predominantly straight clientele.

From what i gather people haven't flocked to fab, and its a new venue. More a steady stream of people, on the different nights..

Therefore, this disproves your theory..

Therefore, this disproves your theory..

I wouldn't say one instance (of hearsay) proves or disproves a damn thing.

from a business point of veiw on a business plan you can only plan theoretical figuers, no one person knows just how much of a knock on affect a new venue will have over an exsiting one,

we are today veiwing venues in various places of sheffield, we have taken on board that some of you would like it in the vacinity of the city centre nr to the mainstream bars and clubs and the fact that no one had been "brave" enough to challenge this,

Due to the development of the moor most units that are empty are due for re devel as you already know, we have spoken to the council that deal with short sub leases but they cannot offer any fixed dates of when the venue`s can be occupied until.

if you look at the overall factor of why people set up " shop" outside the centre its due to overheads being excessive, and some set up trying to revive "old skool" days,

we need to find a balance that all of the community are happy with