Sharrowvale Parking Scheme - new thread

SHarrowvale residents.

Pay up you skinflints, its only £35 per year.

Missing the point, it's not the cost. It's the idiotic implementation and misinformation about the scheme. I've got my permit but my girlfriend who is away from the house from 7am-6pm is not allowed a permit and the restrictions are in place until 6.30pm, so she cannot park outside our house after work, now the parking scheme has arrived. Permit only to 6.30pm is completely and utterly unnecessary, if the point of the scheme is to reduce commuter traffic. Which is now what Planner1 claims was the sole purpose.

SHarrowvale residents.

And you are from where? You want us to subsidise your council taxes then?

Other cities give the first one for free and then guarantee the second to residents.

We may not even get the offer of a second one.

And you are from where? You want us to subsidise your council taxes then?

QUOTE]

And you are from where? Intake

You want us to subsidise your council taxes then? Yes

Don't worry, the council will force you to live its way in the end. By parking in an adjacent area, along with the other displaced parkers (including the ones forced out by the council's incredibly stupid policy of actually reducing parking capacity in an already tight area by putting in unnecessary yellow lines), you are merely serving their purpose by generating calls from the residents there to call for the council to save them from the consequences of the council's own actions.

(Not criticising you, tomataheeed. Just pointing out that the ******** will keep pushing until they get their way.)

me me me me me

I am now swamped

My street used to be empty

Its now heaving with parked cars

Extend the scheme to Nether Edge - please

But when you do please remember that its purpose is allegedly to reduce commuter parking

So just cos houses have driveways doesnt mean you have to leave it as a free for all

make all of S7 and S11 residents only and stuff the commuters

Deepak

PS I am totally against this scheme but if you are going to do it as you say you are then dont mess around :)

just get rid of the cars, use buses and that's the end of it.

SHarrowvale residents.

It's not really the money. I'd pay £50 a year to somebody who could fight off the council and get rid of this scheme.

It's like the difference between paying protection money to thugs who extract money from you by force (as the council is doing with this parking scheme), and paying more money to hired mercs to fight off the thugs. The latter is generally better for reasons of self-respect.

On my travels, I noticed no permit parking scheme near London Road / Bramall Lane.

If the council were really concerned about a 'Peripheral Parking Zone' surely they would have instigated one here.

Or, on the other hand, do they not consider this area to be as economically attractive as the easy cash from Broomhill and Sharrowvale?

I also note there is no specific provision for motorcyclists in the Sharrowvale scheme. Nice one!!

Not looked very hard then, there's a small residents parking scheme in the area between Margaret St and John St, been there for years.

The Broomhall, Broomhill, Crookesmoor and Sharrow Vale areas are those with the highest level of demand / support for residents parking.

When the peripheral parking zone was agreed, these four areas were prioritised and the others are due to follow in sequence, so you would expect the Highfield / Bamall La are to follow soon.

"Resident representatives" - sure. In other words the ones who most liked the idea of interfering in other people's lives to solve their own problems.

I presume you are the sort of person who's hostile to anyone expressing views which may differ from your own?

The residents on our street merely became involved to obtain the best outcome for our own road. At no time did we express views about what should or should not happen elsewhere in Sharrowvale

We weren't "resident representatives" we were resident representatives democratically appointed to represent the majority view of people living on our street.

me me me me me

I am now swamped

My street used to be empty

Its now heaving with parked cars

Extend the scheme to Nether Edge - please

But when you do please remember that its purpose is allegedly to reduce commuter parking

So just cos houses have driveways doesnt mean you have to leave it as a free for all

make all of S7 and S11 residents only and stuff the commuters

Deepak

PS I am totally against this scheme but if you are going to do it as you say you are then dont mess around :)

This shows how flawed the arguments that this scheme is to prevent commuter driving, as the scheme doesn't extend far enough away from town for it to work. At the London Road end, Sharrow St and Club Garden Road are in scheme yet the streets on the other side of Sharrow Lane aren't, so commuter cars are now parked there. So if the scheme had extended down to Abbeydale Rd from Sharrow Lane, then this would have had two effects. The people just outside scheme and still within easy walking distance of town now wouldn't be complaining and commuters may actually be discouraged. As it is they now have an extra few minutes walk. Wow what a disincentive.

Anyone with more than half a braincell, could have predicted that.

Planner1, the complaints on here are far more about the cack handed implementation of the scheme and not the concept itself. It's half hearted and very poorly thought out.

It's a sticking plaster solution for congestive heart failure - to mangle metaphors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletvictus

"Resident representatives" - sure. In other words the ones who most liked the idea of interfering in other people's lives to solve their own problems.

I presume you are the sort of person who's hostile to anyone expressing views which may differ from your own?

No, I'm the kind of person who wants to be left alone, and not interfered with in order to solve other people's problems.

Whether or not they represent a majority on your particular road, in my experience most people have better things to do with their time than get involved in busybodying. My experience has been that those who set themselves up as "resident representatives" are generally (though admittedly not always) those who want their own particular views to prevail over others and who take advantage of the majority's lack of interest in such matters to acquire unwarranted power.

The most annoying thing about it is that people like me, who want nothing more than to be left alone to get on with the basic problems of our own lives such as bringing up a family, are then forced to get involved in exactly the same sort of activity in self-defence. I hate it, and I hate the busybodying interfering gits who force me into it.

If your road had a problem with commuter parking that genuinely concerned the residents (most of whom, by the way, presumably moved there in full awareness of the daytime parking issues and many of whom doubtless benefit personally from the nearness to jobs and amenities that stimulates the commuter parking), the residents are fully entitled to seek some solution PROVIDED you can find one that doesn't impose costs on other people. If you can't find one that doesn't impose costs on other people then you should lump it, or expect to be unpopular with the folks you dump on.

The residents on our street merely became involved to obtain the best outcome for our own road. At no time did we express views about what should or should not happen elsewhere in Sharrowvale

Well in that case you turned out to be handsome dupes for the council, didn't you? They were looking for pretexts to impose these schemes over all the inner residential areas and you provided one.

Except, of course, you might claim you "didn't express views about what should or shouldn't happen elsewhere in Sharrowvale", but I doubt many of you really were so stupid as not to understand that getting this scheme would dump your parking problem on other people's roads, or that people in adjacent roads would be forced to pay and accept new parking restrictions just to solve your problems, leaving you with the advantages of the location you moved into and not the disadavantages.

I'm not a dupe.

If you had spent the time you've been whinging on here making representation to the council you may have less to complain about now.

Our residents would have been very happy with no scheme at all but as it was coming anyway we asked to be included rather than be left out, as we didn't want an unrestricted, parking free-for all following car displacement from other roads

Does anyone know how often you can apply for another pad of visitors passes ?

There are no hard & fast rules on this, so as often as you need, within reason. I've not heard of anyone in the Broomhall / Broomhill schemes complaining at not being able to get more.