Sheffield's favourite son?

So who would be your choice, Ally?

Hard to say really, but you've had astronauts, World cup winners, and the worlds strongest man come from Sheffield down the years, not to mention the blokes that invented stainless steel.

surely that gormless kid from the Arctic Monkeys doesn't hold as bigger place in the heart of Sheffield as that lot?

Mind you, we're not exactly blessed with stars out in Bamford though so maybe I shouldn't mock. a couple of 60's footballers, Ben Baldwin off that late night ITV quiz show, and a rumour that Peter Purves' parents used to run the Yorkshire Bridge Inn - that's our lot I think!!!!

I would make this into a poll if I could, but anyway, off the top of my head I can think of the following Sheffield celebrities;

Alan Kilby

David Blunkett

Jimmy Carroll

Toby Foster

Sean Bean

Lord Hattersley

I'm sure theres many others, quite an illustrious city for celebrities, who is your favorite Sheffield son and why?

Bully boy Blunkett and Lord wobblegob ,both who have fabulous properties in Derbyshire not Sheffield!.....................I need a beer! Lest ye forget! Blunkett and pals brought Sheffield to its knees a few years ago when people were daft enough to vote him into power,and look what a fool he made of himself in London!

It's got to be Sir Philip Oakey!!

The best male vocalist to come out of Sheffield,a great voice,and a big superstar over the last 25 years or so(obviously accompanied by 2 gorgeous girls,Jo & Suzanne).

Apparently,i've heard there is a Philip Oakey museum opening on the corner of Greystones Rd/Ecclesall Rd,which will be displaying,amongst other momentos,his fringe from 1980.I for 1 will be going there in the early part of next year. :)

Sean bloody Bean you've gotta be kiddin:loopy:

What about the most famous Sheffielder ever The Infamous Charlie Peace (1832 - 1879)

Sean bloody Bean you've gotta be kiddin:loopy:

Why is it always a male who has a dig at Sean Bean, could it be a touch of the green eyed monsters.

Bully boy Blunkett and Lord wobblegob ,both who have fabulous properties in Derbyshire not Sheffield!.....................I need a beer! Lest ye forget! Blunkett and pals brought Sheffield to its knees a few years ago when people were daft enough to vote him into power,and look what a fool he made of himself in London!

Where is old Blunkett's Derbyshire lovenest anyway?

I always thought it was down Bakewell/Rowsley but I was talking to someone the other day who reckoned he lived over our way, possibly the top side of Hathersage.

Anyone know?

Why is it always a male who has a dig at Sean Bean, could it be a touch of the green eyed monsters.

I think it may be, the boy done i think, don't knock him....

How about Cher,born in the wagon of a travelling show,Hillsborough park Summer 1947.

Despite now residing in Great Longstone, Hattersley was born & raised in Hillsborough, i've met him and he's a very nice bloke, I don't see why anyone would have a bad word to say about him unless they're Conservative. Anyway, who wouldn't live in Derbyshire rather than Sheffield given the choice? Only joking.

I've also seen Blunkett walking through my village once, I think he was going to the pub.

I've thought of some others;

Dave Berry

Peter Stringfellow

Deaf Leopard

Ronnie Robinson

I would vote for the late Marti Caine for Sheffields favourite daughter.

She started off with a very ordinary life, no silver spoon for her or prep schools or elecution lessons etc. She clawed her way up to the top from nothing.