Sheffield's favourite son?

Despite now residing in Great Longstone, Hattersley was born & raised in Hillsborough, i've met him and he's a very nice bloke, I don't see why anyone would have a bad word to say about him unless they're Conservative. Anyway, who wouldn't live in Derbyshire rather than Sheffield given the choice? Only joking.

I've also seen Blunkett walking through my village once, I think he was going to the pub.

I've thought of some others;

Dave Berry

Peter Stringfellow

Deaf Leopard

Ronnie Robinson

Yes! they've both made their pile,and gone to live in the Tory strongholds of Derbyshire...................nice one lads!

Yes! they've both made their pile,and gone to live in the Tory strongholds of Derbyshire...................nice one lads!

???

But they're both Labour.

Why arnt we embracing any of the real inventors of steel that were in sheffield and made it what it is or was ?

maybe we are past it now with dwindling factories and housing, pubs and people that sweated to make this country?

maybe the new bread or fancey flat owners and suits will prefere a more modern hero of sheffield ?

If we're talking about Sheffielders, as opposed to those born in Sheffield, and can include historical figures, then I would suggest Samuel Holberry should be up there. He moved here as a young adult and played a leading part in the Chartist Movement, dying, while imprisoned, in the 1840s.

When he died, 50,000 attended his funeral at the General Cemetary, at a time when the population of the city was just over 100,000. The Peace Gardens' fountains are also named after him.

Excellent points, both of you.

My votes would be J.G Graves, the former watchmaker's apprentice / entrepeneur / philanthropist and Benjamin Huntsman, inventor of Crucible Steel and Thomas Bolsover, Inventor of Sheffield Plate.

???

But they're both Labour.

Oh ...really!

Excellent points, both of you.

My votes would be J.G Graves, the former watchmaker's apprentice / entrepeneur / philanthropist and Benjamin Huntsman, inventor of Crucible Steel and Thomas Bolsover, Inventor of Sheffield Plate.

I suppose if you include Huntsman and Bolsover, then you should also include the inventor of stainless steel, Harry Brearly.

....and why anyone would want to associate our glorious city with that useless unfunny ******* is beyond me...
Mmmm - two points to raise.

Why is Sheffield 'glorious'?

Why is Mr Vasey a 'useless unfunny *******'? Perhaps because his humour is based on issues which offend you? He makes me smile - mostly (though he can be crude for the sake of crudeness) - as he does many people, so he's hardly useless or unfunny. as for his family background, I have no knowledge.

Oh ...really!

Well, Blunkett is New Labour, but still.

ahhhh thas swearing!

Ahh, DK - back to your favourite sport of mod-baiting, I see?

You must have missed it while you were away... :D

StarSparkle

As the question is posed, it's about who is Sheffield's FAVOURITE SON, which is not the same as Who might have done something of greatest benefit to Sheffield. There have been many of the latter, who contributed much to the welfare of the city, but whom noone would consider as favourite, some of them were even cantankerous old barstewards. My guess is that "favourite" if we're looking for a majority vote, would be some sportsperson, or an actor like Sean Bean, or a TV personality like Michael Palin, who have brought notoriety to the city. Yet there must be people here who, in their quiet, unsung way, go unnoticed but contribute to the people of the city in very substantial ways.

Id have to go for Stephen Hendry. Seven world titles says it all. I grew up with him in the Totley area.

Yep, Michael Palin would get my vote!

I used to like Palin but now he's doing this European propaganda program for the BBC I've gone right off him.

Come to think of it I never rated Monty Python either - what a bunch of to$$ers :gag:

How about Cher,born in the wagon of a travelling show,Hillsborough park Summer 1947.

Must be different to the one born in 1946 in California ;)

Tazz