Sheffield in the 70s

What about the Pump Tavern off the back of the Moor.

It did great meat and potatoe pie and cumberland sausage and you could allways help yourself from a bowl full of onions and cucumber in vinigar!

What about the Pump Tavern off the back of the Moor.

It did great meat and potatoe pie and cumberland sausage and you could allways help yourself from a bowl full of onions and cucumber in vinigar!

i had my wedding reception in there lol

I've really enjoyed reading all the above and taking a trip down Memory Lane. I remember almost all of the places mentioned but also remember 'The Broadway' (underneath Timpsons the shoe shop on High St). Sometimes when I'm walking around Sheffield I get a flashback of the past. Quite a few times when I'm walking down High Street I expect to see 'The hole in the Road' and when I'm walking down the Moor I remember the underground passage leading from Pinstone Street to The Moor. (Funny how the old brain works!!!) I wondered if this happened to anyone else?

Some interesting points, as a kid I remember Redgates and the fish in the tank in the hole-in-the road.

The water was often that green you couldn’t see them, but still had to have a look, and who can forget the 2p bus fare, I was gutted when I had to pay full fare, 12p.

Some interesting points, as a kid I remember Redgates and the fish in the tank in the hole-in-the road.

The water was often that green you couldn’t see them, but still had to have a look, and who can forget the 2p bus fare, I was gutted when I had to pay full fare, 12p.

I remember when the Newcastle supporters smashed the glass of the tank,

water all over the place but the fish some how survived.

I adored Sheffield in the 70s and would love to revisit it, go back in time, if that was possible.

I would spend the day going round all the clothes shops I used to visit, Jean Genie, Chelsea Girl, Pippy's, then have a brief pub crawl starting at the Wap and finishing at the Albert, then into the City Hall to see a decent gig. The bit I wouldnt want to do is pelt down to pond street at 10.30 to catch my last bus!

Dont forget Sexy Rexy

Just a few characters people 60+ may remember: Long Sammy, Duke of Darnall, Russian Edna, Big Ada and Mary Mary who walked from town to Crookes in the gutter, irrespective of traffic? Then there was the blind man who sold lavender on the Moor by the Union St. arcade.

Just a few characters people 60+ may remember: Long Sammy, Duke of Darnall, Russian Edna, Big Ada and Mary Mary who walked from town to Crookes in the gutter, irrespective of traffic? Then there was the blind man who sold lavender on the Moor by the Union St. arcade.
i'm not 60 plus but i remember the blind man would i be right in saying he used to stand near suggs ? and also big ada i think she was the one who had a stall selling on dixon lane would i be right ? .

Correct both times! I think for Long Sammy you may need to be 60+.

Pubs down the Wicker... The old (new)Town Hall. The Albert pub opposite City Hall and all those bloody kebeb waggons (yum yum, hic!)

I presume you geezers are talking about the old Black Swan in town? Strangely enough I named my boat the 'Mucky Duck' and included a black swan in the logo... But then I am in Perth, Oz and our state emblem is the black swan, which worked out well for this old yorkytyke!

Can anybody remember Pippeys shop on a side road just off the moor. Think it was the bottom of the road where Coles is. Lots of hippyish things like ethnic clothing, joss sticks, Anne Summers type equipment ( if you get my drift), 'smoking equipment' etc.

It all sounds so run of the mill these days but it was very far out at the time.

I bought my first 'Afgan' coat at Pippy's in 1973. Cost me 19 quid! no buttons and smelly as hell....