Sheffield in the 70s

Yeh, me.

I think it was Punk night Thursday, Disco Friday and Saturday and Jazz Funk on Sunday. Something happened on Mondays but can't remember. Those were the days of drinking Cherry B and wearing mohair jumpers. Gone are the days of Bowie and Roxy night. Kraftwerk and Gary Newman. God I miss those days. I'd love to go back in time and send one night in there again. I have great memories. I met my first boyfriend in there at 17 (late starter) I could have almost made it into The Human League!!? Weren't those girls discovered in the Daisy? I used to dream it was me, and I was in the queue for the toilet at the time and so I missed my turn :rolleyes:

Dream on!

Yes, those girls were discovered in there. I used to go in there on Fridays and Saturdays mostly. Cheap and cheerful and you didn't have to dress up or anything.

Spent a lot of time in there, I did until it shut. Then it was Faces on Charles Street, and then Turn-ups on Commerial Street.

Great days.

i remember lots of things you are talking about I moved away from sheffield in 73 after getting married. I worked for Balfour Darwins in the Wicker, at luch time we aften went to the Big Gun at dinner time, there was the Station pub and lots more in the wicker. can anyone remember the name of the pub under the Grand something to do with pirates i think, I used to go to the Top Rank and the Fiesta club had some good times there, the Heart beat at the skating rink. I lived on Birley anyone from there would like to keep in touch. Anybody out there know Dennis Broadhurst have been trying to trace friends from the old days.

went in the bucaneer many times always busy why ever did they pull down the grand. anybody go to the dance place the very bottom of the moor.

City Clipper

2p bus rides

The Moor before the Manpower Services Commission building

Virgin records at the bottom of the Moor

Museum Pub

Abbeydale Lido

Prefab classes being craned in to Hunters Bar School

St Andrew's Church Sharrow

Redgates

Hole in the Road

No daft one way systems

Being able to cycle wherever you wanted aged 12

Houses with "El off" on the doors (I thought it was an abusive term for many years!)

Blades winning 8 matches on the trot in the old 1st division

Hope, Badger, Helmsley, Flynn, Colquhoun, Hockey, Woodward, Speight, Dearden, Currie, Salmon/Scullion

Cricket at Bramall Lane

Visiting the sweet shop on Archer Lane

Thornton's factory in Abbeydale

Getting stuck in the snow going to school

etc.....

I at the 'threepenny-bit' (so shaped) kiosk in Pond Street. ays!

I think it was called Menzies. I used to meet all my girlfriends there who always lived on the other side of town. Pond Street Nora used to scare the living daylights out of me.

I used to use The Raven, Albert, Minerva and Nelson pubs and of course the Buccaneer and good old Wap.

My mate's dad used to run the Limes club on Barnsley road (I think) and we would go there after the Wap for some after hours drinking and a game of snooker. Or the Penthouse on Dixon Lane, dire place that was.

Following Wednesday home and away. Cyril the tramp.

Happy days

Millhouse Lido

Hole in the road

The fish in the hole in the road

Studio 5,6,7

The Indian in Fitzalan Sq 9 Cant remember the name

The Marples Pub

Redgates Toy Shop

Wigfalls

Buses running down the Moor

The M1 with hardly any cars on it

Sandblasting of all old stone buildings to clean up the blackened stone

The Indian in Fitzalan Square was the Indus!!

The Indian in Fitzalan Square was the Indus!!

To my eternal shame, the Indus is the only restaurant I have ever "done a runner" from, only then as part of a group of guys.

It has been on my conscience for the last thirty years!

To my eternal shame, the Indus is the only restaurant I have ever "done a runner" from, only then as part of a group of guys.

It has been on my conscience for the last thirty years!

So it was for me.

A mate of mine (chops) fell asleep in the bog and hadn't enough cash to settle the bill

what about Alpines, they delivered pop right to the door. I don't know if they are still going. We used to go mental for the dandelion and burdock. doesn't taste the same now though. Also who remembers the Rex cinema at the bottom of Mansfield & Hollinsend road.

I adored Sheffield in the 70s and would love to revisit it, go back in time, if that was possible.

I would spend the day going round all the clothes shops I used to visit, Jean Genie, Chelsea Girl, Pippy's, then have a brief pub crawl starting at the Wap and finishing at the Albert, then into the City Hall to see a decent gig. The bit I wouldnt want to do is pelt down to pond street at 10.30 to catch my last bus!