Sheffield in the 70s

thanks mslotus that had been bugging me:D

Does anyone remember the courtyard in Stone House when it looked like you were outside only you were really inside. Great meeting place. Why did they do away with it? Also the Pig & Whistle on the corner of Leopold Street and Barker's Pool? Great pub. Whatever happened to it?

I also remember the Buccanner (closed down in the early 70's sometime), Crazy Dazy, the Blue Bell, the old Dove & Rainbow before they changed it all. And what was the name of that nightclub above the ice-rink? Great memories. I live in Devon now, but loved Sheffield in those days. And yes, it was safe back then. I worked at the midland station and remember walking through the city centre when all the nightclubs were kicking out (who remembers the Bier Keller and the Penny Farthing in Arundel gate?) and nobody ever said a word to you. Never any fighting or anything. Oh yeah, and buses were 4p from the city centre to Crookes. Great days, eh?

I think the nightclub above the ice rink was called Samanthas, Houdi, it is now known as Stars Mayfair Suite, no longer a nightclub as such, but can be hired for functions birthdays / engagements etc.

I too was surprised that no-one had mentioned The Buccaneer.

I spent the summers of '71 - '73 back in Sheffield, visiting from Winnipeg. Hippies et al, great memories!

In the '50s, when I first started drinking legally, it was called The Roundabout Bar (still part of the old Grand Hotel). It was the only place within Sheffield that you could get Worthington 'E' draught beer at two shillings and threepence a pint ( Tetleys, Tennants and Stones were about one shilling and tenpence a pint then). From there to Timpson's Corner - which was a central meeting place at that time. It was still used in the 70's as a place to meet your 'bird'. Then on Thursdays the City Hall Dance with Bernard Taylor and his Band - on Fridays The Locarno (Mecca) at the bottom of London Rd. Happy Days!

8) Nah Den Ace.........

70s eh? I were only a youth, but here goes.........

Two pence on any bus, and wasn't the CityClipper free? And bendy? Or was that later on?

Free concerts in Weston Park, model boat races and rowing boats in Crookes Valley Park.

Skin'eads on gallery - scary darey!

Mods 'n' Rockers battling on the bottom of the Moor.

Jilted John - he were from Sheffield.

Alvera's on City Road for doccers.

Also: bleedin' 'ot summers, not qualifying for World Cup, getting hammered by West Indies at cricket, skateboards - the original thin green plastic ones............but most of all............

What did ever happen to white dog sh*t?!!!!!

Regards,

Spacehopper.

Originally posted by Spacehopper

8)

What did ever happen to white dog sh*t?!!!!!

The big supermarkets have put an end to it.

Ah well, having befriended a number of dogs in my time let me explain

Firstly white dog s**t is still in existance, but just not as popular.

The reason! the canine diet has changed since the 70's, back int good olde days, many a dog would be running wild and could be seen lurking and generally hanging around the local butchers shop, often at the end of the day, a huge knuckle bone or leg bone would be tossed out into the street. The fortunate dog would then go scurrying off with his prize possesion and feast on the bone for days, the bone would often be buried at the end of the day and retrieved in the morning.

Anyway this diet of pure bone played havoc with the digestive system of a dog, resulting in very dry white stools.

Well as the advent of pre packed meat came in the 80's and the demise of the butchers shop, it is not very often a dog gets the delight of huge bone.

So the next time you go into Sainsbury's or Tesco's ask at the butchers counter if they have any old bones, when you have done your shopping toss the bone into the street and we may see the resurgance of white dog s**t.

taken from mikey's Old Dog Turd of Sheffield Archives - Copyright 2003

Ah yes - The Buccaneer - Loved it because it was non stop

music without having to put money in a juke box .

Do you remember when it first opened there were plastic

parrots and desert island type decor all over the place - but

as time went by we finished up with bare walls and

plastic glasses - and how on earth did I drink that "Brew Ten"

the worst beer of the seventies !!

Great memories.

Originally posted by Houdi

Does anyone remember the courtyard in Stone House when it looked like you were outside only you were really inside. Great meeting place. Why did they do away with it? Also the Pig & Whistle on the corner of Leopold Street and Barker's Pool? Great pub. Whatever happened to it?

I also remember the Buccanner (closed down in the early 70's sometime), Crazy Dazy, the Blue Bell, the old Dove & Rainbow before they changed it all. And what was the name of that nightclub above the ice-rink? Great memories. I live in Devon now, but loved Sheffield in those days. And yes, it was safe back then. I worked at the midland station and remember walking through the city centre when all the nightclubs were kicking out (who remembers the Bier Keller and the Penny Farthing in Arundel gate?) and nobody ever said a word to you. Never any fighting or anything. Oh yeah, and buses were 4p from the city centre to Crookes. Great days, eh?

Hey, we must have been in the same places at the same time. I frequented all these pubs. Blue Bell was a bit dodgy. I only used it as a cut through to get to the Dove and Rainbow. I loved the Stone House when the courtyard was a great hangout. I used to stare at the roof and I really think we were outside under the stars. Pig and Whistle was okay but a bit of a meat market.

I'm writing a book at the moment. A 'Full Monty' type nostalgic look at Sheffield life in the 70's. Loads of northern humour. Most of the old haunts are featured and lots of places people will recognise (some of which are no longer with us). Hope to get it (finished!) and printed one day.

Originally posted by Carlwarker

I too was surprised that no-one had mentioned The Buccaneer.

I spent the summers of '71 - '73 back in Sheffield, visiting from Winnipeg. Hippies et al, great memories!

In the '50s, when I first started drinking legally, it was called The Roundabout Bar (still part of the old Grand Hotel). It was the only place within Sheffield that you could get Worthington 'E' draught beer at two shillings and threepence a pint ( Tetleys, Tennants and Stones were about one shilling and tenpence a pint then). From there to Timpson's Corner - which was a central meeting place at that time. It was still used in the 70's as a place to meet your 'bird'. Then on Thursdays the City Hall Dance with Bernard Taylor and his Band - on Fridays The Locarno (Mecca) at the bottom of London Rd. Happy Days!

I quote the above as I cannot understand how anyone can remember the price of a pint thirty years ago! Or the price of bus fares!! Mind you that may be because I have been able to drink legally for too long - 1959 to be precise.

In my early school days my trips into Sheffield from Kiveton Park were usually to get school clothes we couldn't buy in Kiveton; a great adventure as at that time, you didn't travel very far from home for anything. We would either come in by bus through Handsworth, Darnall, Attercliffe and the Wicker, or the other route through Woodhouse, Intake, the Manor, etc. or by train to Victoria station. But don't ask what the prices were cos I would not have a clue.

Then in around 1957/8, I left school (Woodhouse Grammar) and worked at Sheffield Transport in Division Street - the building over the laneway from City Hall - and then Markets Department in the new(ish) building over from the open air market, and opposite the river.

At that time, the city was a busy place to be. That is apart from passing all the big steel works on the way in, as the city centre seemed always busy to me. Mind you, reading comments in this forum, I think that probably was because we had a different outlook. For a start, we all seemed to have jobs, and yet didn't seem to have as much money to spend on pubs, night clubs and the like.

Visited in 1982, and nearly got lost coming off the Parkway and into the centre, and had some trouble trying to equate what I could see with what I remembered pre 1963. Of course, the Parkway was there then, but it didn't go into the city. Please help - where was the city end of it initially?

Woulod need a guide these days.8):P

The Lacarno was one of the best pulling joints in my day. A few pints round london rd then in to the night club. Great days