Sheffield in the 70s

Guest Guest

does anyone remember old, old, sheffield? I lived on the manor estate when I was a child, before the parkway was built ( yes really!) We used to walk down prince of wales road to bowden howstead wood's to play and there was an open air bathing pool in the middle of the wood, with a high wooden fence round it.

Our parent's wouldn't let us go in as we were too small, but it was used all the time, especially in the summer month's. We had many happy day's playing in that wood, but we alway's had to go home for lunch or else we got a clip round trhe ear.

In those day's no one had ever heard of a peodophile and we never thought we were in any danger, children then were allowed to have their innocence none of this perverted stuff that we get today. :oops: :oops: :oops: Hal. Evans.

the old lady in the market you was on about her name was called mrs nutt and those scales they weiged you with was the original weigh scales that came from doncaster race course years ago to weigh the jockeys,also she and her family used to be in the encliffe park near the cafe and weight you

Millhouse Lido

Hole in the road

The fish in the hole in the road

Studio 5,6,7

The Indian in Fitzalan Sq 9 Cant remember the name

The Marples Pub

Redgates Toy Shop

Wigfalls

Buses running down the Moor

The M1 with hardly any cars on it

Sandblasting of all old stone buildings to clean up the blackened stone

im an 80's child so can't remeber a lot of the stuff mentioned here but I do remember there being rowing boats in weston park. I loved them, why don't they bring them back. Anyone else like to see the return of being able to row on the lake on a sunny saturday afternoon?

OOOOh, yes warm beer and rowing boats, same happened at Graves Park, too much money to run I guess for the council

I remember all the 70s and most of the 60s to and i,m only 43.

Wht do you mean "only" i heard that.

Anyone remember the massive war time bomb found on Verdon Street and the explosion of the gas works down Effingham Road. My mates dad was killed in that.

I was watching Corrination Street quite recent about the two gunmen and mentioning they meet up in the mucky duck.

The researchers are a bit out of date as the muckey duck as been shut ages.

Not sure if its still there to be honest.

Mucky Duck is still there, its just called The Boardwalk, still has live bands

www.theboardwalklive.co.uk

Maybe it's the old rose tinted specs. but does everyone (over 30) think that the city was better back then? The promo film about Sheffield at the start of "The Full Monty" was just one of many made at the time which showed Sheffield as a futuristic, modern and vibrant city.

You can buy this promo video. I ordered a copy and it arrived yesterday so I've not had a chance to watch it yet.

It is called the "Reel Monty" (was orignally called "City on the Move") by Jim Coulthard. You can get the video from this website:

http://www.allcreditmedia.com/thereelmonty/

Too young to remember the 70s, but I have fond memories of playing in the paddeling pool at Millhouses park when I was a kid. I remember they were packed during the long hot summers.

They were happy days. Shame the place is such a mess now :(

Ask anyone over 35 about the long hot summers in Sheffield and they will say 1975 and 76.

Those summers went on for ever and we have not had one since nor are we likely to.

They say that global warming is making our planet hotter, well that was,nt around in those days and June and July and Augast was in the 90s every day.

Different subject i admit but global warming theory is a load of codswollop. If we are to have a red hot summer it will be totally natural as in 75/76.

Got to admit though the winters these days are definatly milder, is that global warming...........???????

Do,nt reply to this about global warming, i have just opened a topic on that in general chit chat.

Anybody remember seeing the church spire in the Ladybower in 75 and 76.

Summer of 76 was the best, anybody remember the cold year 1985 ish.

My pipes burst, car radiator froze up. It was about minus 15 for about a week. Getting a bit off topic here so lets get back to 70's

Anybody remember Taggy's Ice Cream?

Yes I do, It was around all the time when I was a lot younger, once I ran in to ask my Mother if I could have an ice cream, it was one old halfpenny, but she couldnt afford it.

Also, I remember the Walls stop me and buy one, who used to come round on a push tricycle, he sold three corner packets of ice lollys all different flavours.

Ah, happy days!!!