Sheffield in the 70s

used to work in marsdens rests next to claymore then on to the post office, used to meet in penny black, up to marples, up to blue bell through to dove and then onto campo lane then up to the stonehouse into the museum on to the three tuns and was it the brown bear on norfolk st before finishing back in penny black for last bus.

Excellent thread here people, it as all been mentioned before but I really enjoyed those days then and there - wow!

Anyone know the name of the function room on Arundel gate think it was above claymore

I preferred the Mulberry, I remember it opening late 1976, Bomber Graham behind the bar.

I preferred the Mulberry, I remember it opening late 1976, Bomber Graham behind the bar.

The gilded knacker on the corner of Town Head Street and Campo Lane was a good pub for Lounge Lizards.;)

The gilded knacker on the corner of Town Head Street and Campo Lane was a good pub for Lounge Lizards.;)

Indeed it was, Chuck Charlesworth had it last time I was there. I think Derek Walker was first landlord. Then Cyril Simmonite.

Anyone know the name of the function room on Arundel gate think it was above claymore

Marsden's?

Marsden's?

Yes it was Marsdens there were three restaurants one above the other. Do you remember when Marsdens had small sandwich shops scattered around the centre, I seem to remember one on Chapel Walk, really nice ham sandwiches on white torpedo bread.

Yes it was Marsdens there were three restaurants one above the other. Do you remember when Marsdens had small sandwich shops scattered around the centre, I seem to remember one on Chapel Walk, really nice ham sandwiches on white torpedo bread.

We used to go in Rafferty's fish restaurant (one if the three you mention), it was very good. The decor was typical 70's with sea fishing nets and floats hung around the ceiling, ships lanterns etc. I recall one of the others being a steak house, don't know about the third, or their names. I would frequent Roger Sherwoods on the corner for a haircut too.

im an 80's child so can't remeber a lot of the stuff mentioned here but I do remember there being rowing boats in weston park. I loved them, why don't they bring them back. Anyone else like to see the return of being able to row on the lake on a sunny saturday afternoon?

The boats were in Crookesmoor park at the back of Weston park , the lake there is a lot larger than the one in Weston Park . I used to believe it was the same park but you have to cross over the road .

The Council would be too afraid of the Health and Safety risks to bring them back , and wouldn`t be able to afford attendants. Lovely idea though .

Edited by BIGLIL

Does anyone remember the small Greek owned steak restaurant that was situated on Ecclesall Road in the early 70s on the left going up and opposite the Nursery Tavern. They did a sirloin steak to die for.

I believe that they moved after falling foul of the local licensing laws.:)

Redgates has got to be one of the best toy shops ever. As a kid in the 70s I thought the place was just magical.