Did anyone go to the opening of the Winter Gardens?

I was wondering if anyone here went to the opening of the Winter Gardens in the city centre on Wednesday night? What was the ceremony like? I heard the fireworks were spectacular. Also, do you think it was a good use of the land/money?

Thanks

Geoff.

Guest Guest

I didn't actually go, but I saw the fireworks from my house - they were really excellent, it was like Nov 5 all over again but without the teenagers and their firecrackers!

I walked passed the winter gardens last night.

I was with my 8 year old grandson and on our way to the

panto at the Lyceum.

Sam thought it was a huge greenhouse for growing bananas!

When I explained all about the winter gardens he said

"Well,Nanan,I hope they've got plenty of spare glass to replace the

windows when it gets windy! "

Personally I think it might be a waste of money but we'll give it a chance!.

I think the Winter Gardens are over-rated.

Glorified greenhouse in my opinion.

Might pop down to that Halloween do on Friday though.

Lets knock it down then. Give the tourists another reason not to visit Sheffield. And lets never build anything new again that might remotely bring in some visitors.

Hey, I was planning on visiting it. Don't knock it down just yet. Wait a few weeks okay.

Its all part of a bigger picture. Give it time. You can't please all the people all ov the time.

I think sheffield has plenty to offer tourists without fabricating stuff.

Perhaps we should concertrate on restoring the industry, jobs and city before we build extravigant buildings and 10 art museums?

Tsk, the Winter Gardens are fantastic! The architecture is stunning.

I think the point is that we aren't likely to see much in the way of new jobs if our city is always perceived as a grotty, decaying dump to outsiders. Plus, as much as I like to sit and have a sandwich in a redundant steel mill, I'd rather sit in the Winter Gardens. We can get into an entirely different debate about the merits of a capitalist society that has torn the heart out of industry, but for what it's worth the Winter Gardens is one of the few new buildings in Sheffield for an age that is worthy of attention.

Originally posted by SheffieldSean

I think the point is that we aren't likely to see much in the way of new jobs if our city is always perceived as a grotty, decaying dump to outsiders.

Definetly. I'll be coming to Sheffield this weekend to see my family, but I won't be visiting any tourist attractions. Why? Because I simply don't know of any worth coming to. I have the Trafford Centre near me so I have no desire to visit Meadowhell (I hate shopping anyway).

But my point is that nothing is being done to encourage visitors to Sheffield. You all know of them and probably see them on your journeys to and from work, but outsiders don't.

How about Kelham Island? There is even a brewery.