Anyone rehoming their dog PLEASE read this

http://aberdeen.gumtree.com/aberdeen/06/75505706.html

Taken from the Aberdeen Gumtree but sadly this is too common in many big cities :(

Just be very careful who you rehome to there are some nasty vicious people out there

The link no longer works so just to re-cap:

Someone sold a GSD which was later traced back to him via his chip. Sadly he was found dead, mauled and with horrific bite wounds, muzzled and with his claws cut right down, he had obviously been used as bait for dog fighting :rant:

Edited by daydreamblvr
link no longer valid

I fear this is a national problem. yes it is sick & wants stopping , please ask for i.d. when rehoming a dog ,I know this is not a solution but its one more thing that you can you to try and combat this terrible thing from happening .Go look at the house where they say they live & make sure it tallies with i.d.they provide.

I fear this is a national problem. yes it is sick & wants stopping , please ask for i.d. when rehoming a dog ,I know this is not a solution but its one more thing that you can you to try and combat this terrible thing from happening .Go look at the house where they say they live & make sure it tallies with i.d.they provide.

it's possible they cater for the odd party that wants to see where there pet is going but yeah, do whatever you can to satisfy yourself that it's legitimate

This should be in the sticky section...

I messaged a few people recently who had 'free to good home' adverts up on here for their dogs, cats, rabbits etc who gave off the impression that first come first served and needed to get rid quick...

Easy pickings for the sicko's wanting 'free meat' to chuck at their fighting machines :mad:

It is very sad :(

Whenever someone tries to rehome their pet without using a template we always delete the thread and send them a pm explaining the rule of the forum and to read our sticky at the top about rehoming this does mention to home check. I also personally add a bit about being careful who they rehome to.

A lot of people on here that are rehoming 'pets' are in it for the money, just like a lot of rehoming adverts elsewhere on the internet. I do feel very sorry for genuine people as it must be hard deciding who is worthy to take on a well loved pet. It happened on here and a owner was blackmailed and the dog died after it eventually was returned even though everything looked good on the surface :cry:

I started a thread about this a few weeks ago. The police are expecting some pretty big dog fights over the summer and have warned people not to leave dogs unattended. NOT EVEN IN YOUR OWN BACK YARD whilst they have a pee. They are taking them from outside of shops, gardens, picking "free to good home" dogs up and even one's that are being sold for cash. They are also breaking into rescue centres and stealing dogs en mass. They muzzle them and clip their claws so they can't hurt the fighting dog, then throw them in to be ripped apart. I can't even begin to imagine how frightened they are and how much pain they suffer. The bigger dogs are more at risk but any dog will do for these scum bags. They even steal cats to train the pups up. Please NEVER leave your dog unattended, not even for 2 mins. If you must rehome them thenstate on the advert that i.d and a home check will be required to anyone taking the dog. I agree that this subject should be made a sticky. Can the mods look at this please

This should be in the sticky section...

I messaged a few people recently who had 'free to good home' adverts up on here for their dogs, cats, rabbits etc who gave off the impression that first come first served and needed to get rid quick...

Easy pickings for the sicko's wanting 'free meat' to chuck at their fighting machines :mad:

I've been doing that too. I might come across as a busy body, but I really couldn't care less if an animals life is saved as a result of my actions!!

Not a nice read, but an important one.

I have just sent a copy of this thread to the german shepherd forum. Hopefully they will put it as a sticky too

my daughter put her dog a staffi on gumtree for sale she got a message that they wanted to buy her dog to give it a good home they were even gonna collect him. they were willing to travel from scotland area for him. she has decided to keep him now. i wonder if its the same people if it was she had a lucky escape

This is always very worrying - there are so many sick people out there.

We try our hardest to make sure each dog gets a good home, but people like - and as always the crooks are usually cleverer than the honest people.

Its heartbreaking to think about it, but I know that even the bigger rescues can get conned also with people. People do sometimes have to rehome pets, and its a very scarey heartbreaking time.