Sheffield Forum

Ultra loud motorbike commuting across Hillsborough at 5.45 in the morning.

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

25-06-2010, 09:29   #1
Justin Smith

Total Posts: 3,628
Has anyone else had the misfortune to be woken up by a very loud motorbike commuting across Hillsborough in the early mornimg ?
He passes the Hillsborough football ground area at about 5.45AM and freqently wakes me up.
Not only is his wretched exhaust far far too loud but he rides it like he`s at the TT thrashing it like you`ve never known. I wonder how many hundreds, or even thosands, of people curse him every morning.......

Obviously the guy is a totally ignorant git, but why is there no law to protect us from these imbeciles ? I checked with the garage that does my MOT and they said that other than for a blowing exhaust there`s no requirement in the MOT for a vehicle to be adequately silenced.
That sounds (pun intended) like a law that`s crying out to be passed.

Actually, I do know about bikes, and "loud pipes save lives" is b******s......

I feel, just to make my attitude to motorbikes clear, it is worthwhile including this quote of mine from another thread :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
I don`t have anything against motorbikes, particularly as I`m an ex biker. They take up less road space, use less fuel, theoretically would emit less pollution (unless modified.....) and only very rarely kill (other) people. No, I like motorbikes, that`s quiet motorbikes obviously. Noisy bikes, that`s a completely different ball game, selfish gits.
_______
I`ll have a some respect for the EU referendum result if and when the NHS gets its extra 350 million a week...... Oh, and we get our free trade deal "because we`re more important than Switzerland". Basically they lied, they won and they`ve got away with it.
Aerials and Digital TV

Last edited by Justin Smith; 07-03-2017 at 09:11. Reason: "Loud pipes save lives" is b******s.
25-06-2010, 09:33   #2
kungfugerbil

Total Posts: 213
Meh, they're everywhere. Most amusingly up by me is a massive fat bloke on a 125 who I hear every morning, Can almost set my clock by him
25-06-2010, 09:34   #3
Paddy

Total Posts: 1,668
Is it definitely a motorbike because I have seen some on a quad bike on Penistone Rd a couple of times recently and that was unbelievably loud.

Last edited by Paddy; 25-06-2010 at 11:57.
25-06-2010, 10:23   #4
satman2222

Total Posts: 2,766
It's in here somewhere - Construction and use regs section 5 onwards I think. Can anyone translate this into English??

_______
Big Brother is watching you!
Worldaid Foundation

Only know you love her when you let her go......
25-06-2010, 10:37   #5
heavenlyarts

Total Posts: 2,439
Fails MOT if too loud.

So what noisy bikers do is change the exhaust for a loud one after the MOT.
25-06-2010, 11:53   #6
jdgraham83

Total Posts: 298
I see a guy and sometimes his mate every morning on west street and then heading down to Division Street on quads. They are stupidly loud. Really annoys me. There must be a law against it.
_______
I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=591885363
25-06-2010, 11:58   #7
Tess
The game.

Total Posts: 8,273
I hate quads - they drive me mad. But you can't expect somebody to buy a quieter vehicle just to please everyone else?
_______
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, with a body thoroughly used up and totally worn out, screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride!"
25-06-2010, 13:10   #8
Justin Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
you can't expect somebody to buy a quieter vehicle just to please everyone else?
Err, why not ?
Why should people have to put up with unpleasantly loud, even painfully loud bikes or cars ?
Then there`s people actually losing sleep because of these selfish gits.

Totally, totally, totally selfish.

There really should be a law against it and if there is and it isn`t enforced then someone should do something about it.
_______
I`ll have a some respect for the EU referendum result if and when the NHS gets its extra 350 million a week...... Oh, and we get our free trade deal "because we`re more important than Switzerland". Basically they lied, they won and they`ve got away with it.
Aerials and Digital TV
25-06-2010, 13:13   #9
Amaranthus
Missus Kong

Total Posts: 6,760
Quote:
I hate quads - they drive me mad. But you can't expect somebody to buy a quieter vehicle just to please everyone else?
Not buy a whole new vehicle, no, but isn't there some modification they could use to make it a bit quieter? It's very unpleasant, especially at silly hours.
25-06-2010, 13:22   #10
Justin Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaz112 View Post
Not buy a whole new vehicle, no, but isn't there some modification they could use to make it a bit quieter? It's very unpleasant, especially at silly hours.
That`s just the thing, most of these offensively loud bikes and cars have had louder aftermarket exhausts put on deliberately !
I know it`s hard to believe there are people that selfish out there, actually, on reflection, it`s quite easy to believe.......
_______
Aerials and Digital TV
25-06-2010, 13:24   #11
Tess
The game.

Total Posts: 8,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
That`s just the thing, most of these offensively loud bikes and cars have had louder aftermarket exhausts put on deliberately !
I know it`s hard to believe there are people that selfish out there, actually, on reflection, it`s quite easy to believe.......
What about scooters? They're noisy but they're also very cheap to run and to insure. You can't expect someone to buy a car/motorbike and pay so much more just to keep a few people happy.
_______
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, with a body thoroughly used up and totally worn out, screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride!"
25-06-2010, 13:32   #12
HotPhil
Curry Craver

Total Posts: 8,710
Send a message via MSN to HotPhil Send a message via Skype™ to HotPhil
Yep this inconsiderate delusioned biker wakes me up quite often. One morning I'll be down there to get his reg details.
25-06-2010, 16:29   #13
Justin Smith

Quote:
What about scooters? They're noisy but they're also very cheap to run and to insure. You can't expect someone to buy a car/motorbike and pay so much more just to keep a few people happy.
Sorry, I think there`s been a breakdown in communication here.
Scooters, just like all other motor bikes and cars, are acceptably quiet with the originally fitted exhaust. These ignorants deliberately choose to fit a more noisy exhaust.
Far from sounding "sportier", many people actually think there`s something wrong with the particular vehicle so God knows why they do it, particularly in the case of a scooter, it just makes them sound even more poxy......
_______
Aerials and Digital TV
25-06-2010, 16:36   #14
Miss M

Total Posts: 718
I think that could be the <removed> who lives in our apartment block. He loves that bike so much he takes it IN THE HOUSE!

Last edited by Merlina; 25-06-2010 at 21:53. Reason: swearing
25-06-2010, 16:43   #15
Godzilla

Total Posts: 1,455
I live in Wharncliffe Side and hear a loud bike most mornings at about 6ish - and it's definitely someone with a wide open throttle and a clear road (well, so far anyway).
_______
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to continually be part of unanimity. Christopher Morley
25-06-2010, 21:59   #16
Justin Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
I live in Wharncliffe Side and hear a loud bike most mornings at about 6ish - and it's definitely someone with a wide open throttle and a clear road (well, so far anyway).
I wonder whether it`s the same ignorant <removed> ?
_______
Aerials and Digital TV

Last edited by Merlina; 25-06-2010 at 22:11. Reason: swearing
25-06-2010, 22:13   #17
Merlina
Broomstick Girl

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 11,516
Please refrain from swearing ........otherwise this thread will be closed
_______
Beware of the Vroomstick!
25-06-2010, 22:26   #18
Greybeard

Total Posts: 10,451
Can't be as bad as the Doves on our roof ridge cooing away incessantly from 4:30 in the morning, or the **** Pheasant in the field across the lane shrieking at some imaginary rival, or the Blackbird in the garden who thinks it has seen a cat or a hawk or whatever...

At least a noisy bike is gone in a few seconds.
_______
The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs, is to be ruled by evil men. Plato - (429 to 347 BC)
26-06-2010, 00:03   #19
BlueMonkeys

Total Posts: 61
to be honest im not a fan of the loud exhausts but if thats what they want to do leave them be its not really a massive inconvenience and if you ban one thing it will set the ball rolling and before you know it we will be driving those god awful toyota hybrids. oh and its not just for the noise quite often people fit them for performance.
26-06-2010, 06:24   #20
leuven

Total Posts: 63
I wonder if it's the same knuckle dragger who I hear everymorning at 0530 in stocksbridge , it's a blue and White coloured bike , must be something council can do , "noise pollution "?
Reply To Topic