Lost Pub, LOCAL FIELDS ,149 Attercliffe Road

Working on my family tree and like if pos to add pictures . Have a photo of house my Grt Grt Grandfather was born (1854 ) but cannot find one of the place my mother was born , LOCAL FIELDS ,149 Attercliffe Road . Have tried Sheffield Libary , and the Lost Sheffield pubs site . Also bought books , like A Pub On Every Corner, but cannot find it . Can anyone out there HELP !!!

Hi, welcome to the forum. Try looking on this thread as it has a link to a lost Sheffield pubs site:

Sheffield's lost pubs thread

Pubs have always changed name depending on the fashion of the time - it's not a new thing. It may also have been something else before or after being a pub.

Maybe you should work back from the address rather than the pub name? The Local Studies Library in the Central Library will have all the business directories from the time and you should be able to get a little closer. There are also the old OS maps of Sheffield - ISTR one drawn up around 1861. That might be useful too.

According to my current map, number 149 fronts an area that we call Salmon Pastures. There is a petrol station (closed down?) on it now opposite the big steelworks/ special metals office building (I forget the name).

Thanks Max & Tony for your replys . The LOCAL FIELDS was situated just before the railway bridge ( wrongly called by some as norfolk bridge ) as you look up Attercliffe Road from the Wicker, and was set back further than other buildings around it ,one of the doors leading out onto princess street . As a matter of interest my mother was born there 74yrs ago today 04.01.04.

The Local Fields was near to Norflk Bridge and stood back off the road ,closed about 1932,the back door would lead on to Greystock St.I can remember the taproom door in the late 1930,s and had Local Fields written in the glasswork

Hey KINGFISHER , your right ! I thought it exited on to princess street cause my gran said she stepped outside just as Plommer was being killed with a bayonet . ( she actually saw who did it , but my grandad would never let her tell , '' what do you want, a cellar grate through the pub window or worse '' ) She felt guilty about that for the rest of her life . Did you live around there ? Maybe you knew some of my family . I was born at the Norfolk Arms at the other end of Princess Street .

I came across this posting by accident but I'm glad I did.

My gran lived on Princess Street 25 Court 2. She married from there in 1933. Her name was Ella Hinchliffe but she lived with her sister Gwen with a couple by the name of George and Eliza Phillipson. I dont know much about the area, would you know what it was like in the 1930's. I think the Phliipsons moved out around the 1950's but I'm not sure.

I think George worked for the railway.

Which end would 25 court 2 be at, does anyone know. Would it have been the end which came out onto Attercliffe Road or was it the other end please.

Thanks

Hi , Kazisindahouse 25 was at the end that came out on Attercliffe Road . My dad married Elsie Hill nee Ward who either lived 21 or 25, can't remember which . They very likely knew your gran as Elsie lived there from 1908 till about 1965, and my dad was born in Greystock Street . Afraid too late to ask them now . And afraid 1930's is just a little before my time !! What I do remember though (from 1950's to 1960's ) is a long terrance of very neat houses , all with white doorsteps and green shiny door's . Every one was very house proud around there inspite of all the grime from the factorys . As a matter of interest one of the girls in the Human League was born in that terrace , Joanne I think .

My gran as I said was there in 1933 when she married and then she moved to Worksop Road where my mum was born in 1934.

Somewhere along the line I related to the Jeffcock name and there was a Dennis Jeffcock who managed the Attercliffe Palais de Danse the Roller Skating Rink just off Attercliffe Road.

Can you remember it. My mothers maiden name by the way was Dewey, she used to work at Banners

Hi Dunks

Did the identity of the killer ever get passed down to you. My family lived on Greystock St around 1860 their house was pulled down to make way for a new steel works I think.

Siren

Yes I do know '' who dunit '' but dont think I should name names, do you ? Tell you what I'll go half way S.G does that help ? By the way the weapon was never found, every one thinking it got thrown into the don on S.G's get away. But my gran saw that too. Down a cellar grate , a friend of '' his '' seeing as no one said '' look what I've found ''. Have you got your date right ? 1860, only street still intact 1908 when my gran was born .