Sheffield Forum

Fungal Nail Infection - Best Treatment

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

12-07-2009, 18:45   #1
jane21

Total Posts: 171
I have suffered for years with the dreaded fungal nail infection on my toes and have several times lost my toe nails due to it. All my Dr has given me is Lamasil cream which iam applying day and night religiously. I think the fungus has gotten used to it as it is taking over again - its like all out war.

Can anyone recommend something I can buy over the chemist counter that REALLY cures it. The cost of this stuff is extortionate so I want something that I can rely on to work so I dont waste my money. Jane
12-07-2009, 18:51   #2
Bruno

Total Posts: 4,138
Sounds silly, but try using Honey, I have a fungal nail infection nothin ever cured it so im using Manuka Honey its expensive but it seems to be working so far, Manuka Honey has anti-bacterial properties im using active 10+ at the moment, got it from morrisons.

you will find some information from the following link http://www.manukahoney.co.uk/therapeuticuses.html

worth trying
12-07-2009, 18:54   #3
jane21

Thanks but honey is very sticky, do you smeer it on your toes then put your socks and shoes on!
12-07-2009, 18:57   #4
Cluffy74

Total Posts: 194
My hubby had one last year. He went to drs and they sent away his nail clippings for analysis. After the results came back the dr gave him some pills for a couple of weeks and the infection cleared up pretty quickly and the badness grew out. He has suffered with this for years and touch wood they have stayed clear.
12-07-2009, 19:00   #5
jane21

Yeh when I went to Dr he wouldnt give me tablets as he said they had too many side effects thats why he gave me the Lamasil cream.
12-07-2009, 19:00   #6
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane21 View Post
Thanks but honey is very sticky, do you smeer it on your toes then put your socks and shoes on!
lol i use a cotton pad smeared with honey placed on nail then taped up,again i know it sounds silly, but its working been using it for three days now, obviously changing each day and i see a massive difference, it actually penetrates the nail, again read up on that link.
12-07-2009, 19:03   #7
jane21

Thanks I might try it, but how can u tell its working after 3 days when the nail affected has to grow out. Surley you can only tell if its working as the infected nail grows out.
12-07-2009, 19:07   #8
Bruno

it looks more healthier the fungus lies beneth the nail, the active anti-bacterial properties of the honey fights the fungal tissue, don't get me wrong its no where near gone but i see a significant change the 340gram jar i got cost 9 there is also a higher strenth you can get active 16+ i did not know this tho when i bought the one im using.
12-07-2009, 19:09   #9
jane21

Ok I've read the report, so I might - just might go buy some from Morrisons. How many times a day do you apply to your toe nails. And just a thought, Im off on hols on Sat and if I put on toes and go out with sandals on hence bare tuttsies will i have to fight off any unwonted fly's bugs etc or evan cats, dogs, sheep, cows lol
12-07-2009, 19:10   #10
Cluffy74

Total Posts: 194
Quote:
Yeh when I went to Dr he wouldnt give me tablets as he said they had too many side effects thats why he gave me the Lamasil cream.
Yeh thats what they told my hubby but he was fed up of them so asked the dr for them and said he would give them a try. He didn't suffer any side effects at all.
12-07-2009, 19:16   #11
Bruno

Quote:
Ok I've read the report, so I might - just might go buy some from Morrisons. How many times a day do you apply to your toe nails. And just a thought, Im off on hols on Sat and if I put on toes and go out with sandals on hence bare tuttsies will i have to fight off any unwonted fly's bugs etc or evan cats, dogs, sheep, cows lol

try it until you go away, then carry on after you back from your hols, take it you goin to Goa with mentioning Cows lol, you never know you might get a hunk suckin ya toes lol
12-07-2009, 19:18   #12
jane21

Goa no only going down south, already been to Gambia this year. As for the hunk my hubby doesant like honey!
13-07-2009, 02:15   #13
Lisa33

Total Posts: 165
I thought i had a fungal nail infections(s). My two index fingers on each hand and my little fingers and on my feet my big toe nails have it. I went to the doctors a few years ago and he told me to send some clippings off and they came back without any fungal infection??

He told me that it could be Psorasis under my nails and its not nice. you cant catch it but I Have to paint my toenails all the time or have them hid is sock and shoes. I have to cut them with really strong toenail clippers and then file them down with a emery board and it a relief when its done, as its a right job but when they are done im glad becuase my toenails look really much better when painted.

I did ask my doctor before I had the clippings sent off and he said he was very reluctant to give me some tablets for nail infections as the tablets can cause your kidneys to bleed and sometimes have to be taken for up to six months as they take a long time to work. Im still thinkin about going back to the doctors for a second opinion to see if they can do anything about my nails because it gets me down sometimes.
13-07-2009, 12:58   #14
BillyWhiz

Total Posts: 231
I have heard that pure coconut oil does the trick - might be worth googling to see what comes up.
_______
__________________________________________________ _______

It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in! And they KNOW where you live!!
13-07-2009, 14:36   #15
BasilRathbon

Total Posts: 15,093
It's an extreme solution but have you considered having your feet amputated?
_______
Wanna see Basil's vaguely interesting photos? Visit "Basil's Travels"

Wanna hear Basil's reasonably enjoyable music? Head for www.myspace.com/planetsoddingbliss.
13-07-2009, 14:53   #16
MAMALOCHA!

Total Posts: 2,504
you could pull out all your nails with some pliers... problem solved
_______
In the light of truth, falsehood will always perish
13-07-2009, 15:50   #17
Bertielil

Total Posts: 277
I've used tea tree oil & it really worked for me, the infection has not returned. Two drops on the infected nail twice a day & a hell of a lot cheaper than stuff advertised on TV.
13-07-2009, 19:03   #18
Bruno

Im on day 4 of using the honey i mentioned above, the discolouration is now starting to dissapear it now looking more like a normal nail for the first time in 5 years.
15-07-2009, 20:36   #19
jane21

Yeh I've been too busy to go buy anything yet, infact this first time i've had to read my replys. Think mamalocha's cure by pulling out the toe nails is a bit drastic so i'll pass on that one thanks.
15-07-2009, 20:44   #20
fluffystuff

Total Posts: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertielil View Post
I've used tea tree oil & it really worked for me, the infection has not returned. Two drops on the infected nail twice a day & a hell of a lot cheaper than stuff advertised on TV.
I am using tea tree oil at the moment on my toenail and I see a definite improvement after a week.
Reply To Topic