Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Nick Margerrison on Hallam FM

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

14-11-2003, 00:30   #1
t020

Total Posts: 5,366
Caught a bit of this guys late night show earlier today. From the sounds of it, he's not too popular with the callers. I think he sounded like a bit of a self opinionated, arrogant nob trying to provoke a reaction from callers to boost listening figures. A bit like me on here, except to provoke replies to posts...... but thats another story. So, what does everyone here make of him? Didn't catch much of his show, anyone ever phoned in or anything?
_______
WARNING: If you suffer from allodoxaphobia, please look away now.

"Donít worry. Iím not being condescending. Iím far too busy thinking about important things you wouldnít understand."
14-11-2003, 01:09   #2
Moonolt

Total Posts: 156
I've phoned in on his (former) morning show a couple of times, trying to win myself a few competitions. Came semi-close to them, got on the air a few times, and have had a chat or two with him during the songs and ad breaks.

Yes, most of the time he's a tit. But that's what makes the show so appealing.

According to the Hallam FM website, he checks these boards regularly, so he's likely to read this...
_______
..."Steel" the "Mint" of "Mannkind"...
14-11-2003, 07:15   #3
*Twinkle*
Pink Princess

Total Posts: 5,134
Hallam Fm's late night show used to be fab when Diana Luke did it!

Don't know much about the other guy though, I haven't really listened to the late night show since she left!

( Can a mod delete my post before please)

[Edited by Tony Ruscoe - Previous post deleted as requested!]

Last edited by Tony Ruscoe; 14-11-2003 at 09:33.
14-11-2003, 10:59   #4
mrs_info

Total Posts: 1
for those who care, diana luke now does late night on real radio!
14-11-2003, 12:52   #5
alchresearch

Total Posts: 29,148
Send a message via Yahoo to alchresearch
She used to follow Paul Massey on saturday nights back in the late 80's, early 90's. In this the time you were talking about or has she been back since?
14-11-2003, 13:27   #6
tinajones

Total Posts: 662
i think hes well entertaining!
14-11-2003, 16:40   #7
RPG

Total Posts: 2,218
The trouble with nick is that he genuinly is up his own rear in regards to his own opinions, ie. he takes them too far, alienating his callers and generating too much negative attitude from people (see their site) Then insulting them after, his show *used* to be good when he listened to his callers then made an opinion on their topic, all i hear now is just nick shouting down at them with some "err, um, when.., i tri... the poin..." etc. from the caller as they battle to try and put across a point

but, I turned over to Radio 1 and heard a song Ive been waiting ages to listen to again
_______
RPG - Not-Moderator
Out! Out! Out! You demons of stupidity! - Dogbert/Scott Adams

Last edited by RPG; 14-11-2003 at 16:48.
14-11-2003, 21:24   #8
t020

Quote:
Originally posted by caprice
Hallam Fm's late night show used to be fab when Diana Luke did it!

Don't know much about the other guy though, I haven't really listened to the late night show since she left!

( Can a mod delete my post before please)

[Edited by Tony Ruscoe - Previous post deleted as requested!]
I heard a few when she did it, the Canadian one? She was very boring. All 'lets talk about it', with regards to relationship problems and related issues. Who cares about some strangers relationship issues? Not me, hence I didn't listen again.
_______

"Donít worry. Iím not being condescending. Iím far too busy thinking about important things you wouldnít understand."
14-11-2003, 22:57   #9
367squadron

Total Posts: 874
i hate him!!! he is so annoying id rather listen to galaxy. its much better than listening to him slate and insult the callers that dont have the same opinion as him. I like dianna Luke she was good..........its nice tohave a mature chat once in a while rather than talking about some sort of crap. If Nick does read this i just wanna tell him that infact all my friends now listen to a different radio station and i think that u shud leave or you will end up with the sack cos u r annoying and very insultive towards your callers.
14-11-2003, 23:30   #10
t020

Quote:
Originally posted by 367squadron
i hate him!!! he is so annoying id rather listen to galaxy. its much better than listening to him slate and insult the callers that dont have the same opinion as him. I like dianna Luke she was good..........its nice tohave a mature chat once in a while rather than talking about some sort of crap. If Nick does read this i just wanna tell him that infact all my friends now listen to a different radio station and i think that u shud leave or you will end up with the sack cos u r annoying and very insultive towards your callers.
I agree. From what I've heard of him he sounds like an annoying idiot. Although I disagree with Diana Luke being good.
_______

15-11-2003, 00:03   #11
kittykat
Forum feline

Total Posts: 903
Hes an idiot i absolutely despise him. He makes some stupid comment such as the other night when he said people shouldnt wear poppies and comes up with an argument to back it up knowing people will ring up annoyed and when they try to put a reasonable argument across he shouts them down or calls them thick and cuts them off. Then you get the morons ringing up agreeing that the last caller was thick and nick is right.

Thing is theres bugger all else on at night so when youre in the car you have to listen to it or sit in silence. Id much rather listen to an intelligent talk show though and i might even tune in voluntarily if this were to happen but since hes the DJ i defintely wont be doing.

Its not particularly his opinions that bother me although i do disagree with them its the fact he will not accept any arguments. What the hells the point in having a talk show if it just revolves around his opinions and the fact theyre right no matter what you have to say.

Hes an arrogant swine whos too thick to do anything useful so gets stuck DJing til the early hours of the morning and just cos he has the power to cut people off thinks hes the best thing since sliced bread.

Hope he reads this but he probably cant work out how to use the net anyway so i doubt he will.

Ill back any campaign to get him thrown off infact im off now to email hallam to tell them how awful he is.
15-11-2003, 08:37   #12
*Twinkle*
Pink Princess

Total Posts: 5,134
Diana Luke actually listened to her callers... Thats why she didn't have to provoke arguments to get more listeners. I, personally enjoyed her show, but I understand where t020's coming from when he says he didn't want to listen to other peoples problems in their relationships.

It wasn't all women's talk though, there were a lot of real debates aswell, some of which got heated, but they were kept under control by Diana.
15-11-2003, 08:53   #13
Clik32
Account Closed

Total Posts: 677
The bloke's just doing his job!
15-11-2003, 20:12   #14
kittykat
Forum feline

Total Posts: 903
didnt know a djs job was to **** off everyone who listens, i thought they were supposed to entertain
15-11-2003, 23:31   #15
chalicefc3

Total Posts: 142
Come on guys and gals. The guy is only playing devil's advocate. You will find that it is a fresh format for the radio medium. If you have ever listened to Talk Sport - it has prided itself from day 1, by going 'against the grain'. How boring would radio be if the presenter only ever agreed with the views of the listener. I believe that some of the topics discussed on his show, tend to appeal to the 'tabloid' listener and fail to achieve a great deal of sense. But in saying that, while i recognise that he may **** people off, his being controversial will only promote Hallam FM. If it gets you talking about it, great promotion. You might even want to listen to his show now to realise how annoying he can be with listeners.

Don't take it seriously, i am sure the guy is sound and doesnt believe half the things that he says he does on the airwaves.
15-11-2003, 23:34   #16
chalicefc3

Total Posts: 142
BTW, seeing as you lot have regular net access, if you are bored with that show; try listening to Late Night Love which airs on many other regional stations. For our region though, you will have to listen on the internet. Its a good show and alongside the Radio 1 sunday surgery, after listening it will either help you to feel better about your life / or reassess what things are really important!!!
15-11-2003, 23:41   #17
Moonolt

Quote:
Originally posted by chalicefc3
...If you have ever listened to Talk Sport...
That's what I forgot to mention!

Yeah, I used to listen to that a lot. Tommy Boyd and his Human Zoo...
_______
15-11-2003, 23:47   #18
Andy
Original

Total Posts: 15,109
Quote:
BTW, seeing as you lot have regular net access, if you are bored with that show; try listening to Late Night Love which airs on many other regional stations. For our region though, you will have to listen on the internet. Its a good show and alongside the Radio 1 sunday surgery, after listening it will either help you to feel better about your life / or reassess what things are really important!!!
After listening to that rubbish, you'll be glad we've got Nick's phone-in on Hallam FM...

There's always Scottie McClue over on Magic AM :p
_______
"If you're an alien, how come you sound like you're from the North?"
15-11-2003, 23:50   #19
Moonolt

Well, I have the Hallam FM phone-in number listed as 'A' in my mobile's address book, so I can speed-dial it as soon as I need to !!!
_______
16-11-2003, 00:03   #20
t020

Quote:
Come on guys and gals. The guy is only playing devil's advocate. You will find that it is a fresh format for the radio medium. If you have ever listened to Talk Sport - it has prided itself from day 1, by going 'against the grain'. How boring would radio be if the presenter only ever agreed with the views of the listener. I believe that some of the topics discussed on his show, tend to appeal to the 'tabloid' listener and fail to achieve a great deal of sense. But in saying that, while i recognise that he may **** people off, his being controversial will only promote Hallam FM. If it gets you talking about it, great promotion. You might even want to listen to his show now to realise how annoying he can be with listeners.

Don't take it seriously, i am sure the guy is sound and doesnt believe half the things that he says he does on the airwaves.
As stated in my original post, I know he's doing it purely to boost his listening figures. However, I think this is a short term fix as people will soon get bored of hearing this low form of entertainment.
_______

Reply To Topic