Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Park Hill Flats, who lived there, and what are your memories of them?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

10-11-2008, 16:20   #1
catherine418

Total Posts: 4
Hello,

I am a student at Newcastle Uni, studying architecture. I am currently trying to write a dissertation on high rise living, and as part of this im looking at Park Hill for a case study. I would like to seek anyone who used to live there, for any amount of time, and any date. I would like to ask you a few questions about what it was like to live there, what was good, and what was bad etc.

I hope you can help me out, it would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks
Catherine
10-11-2008, 16:26   #2
Teabag

Total Posts: 1,337
Pomo hell

Form follows function?
10-11-2008, 17:20   #3
catherine418

lol, i take that is a dig at architects? or a comment about the flats?
10-11-2008, 17:48   #4
Teabag

Total Posts: 1,337
It's still a listed building.

A city in the sky.

A thing of beauty.

Ask yourself this - would you like to send your own family to live there for the next 30 years?

...la...la....la....la.....
10-11-2008, 18:12   #5
catherine418

Personally, from what i know about the scheme, no i definatly would not send my family there, in its current state, maybe once it has been redeveloped, but thats only my point of view, i know alots of people loved their flats and stayed there for many years. I really want to know from primary sources what it was like to live there, good or bad interperatations so i can make a balanced conclusion.

Did you live there?
10-11-2008, 18:38   #6
Plain Talker
Happy Hijaabi

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 43,471
I lived on the other development, originally called "Park Hill II" , Hyde Park.
My grandma lived on Park Hill though. and in the 60's when she lived there it was lovely. (in the seventies, it started going downhill.)
_______
1.5 billion Muslims on this planet...
500,000 muslims in Australia...
ONE mentally ill criminal in a cafe... Lets keep a sense of perspective here.
10-11-2008, 19:11   #7
catherine418

Can u remember why it went down hill? i know maintenace was a problem and new tenants with little respect for their surroundings added to it. Did she say what things she liked about it?

Thank you
10-11-2008, 19:41   #8
Plain Talker
Happy Hijaabi

Forum Helper
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherine418 View Post
Can u remember why it went down hill? i know maintenace was a problem and new tenants with little respect for their surroundings added to it. Did she say what things she liked about it?

Thank you
I know that when I lived on Hyde Park, (And whilst my Gran lived on PHF) it was traditional for the tenants to have a pride in their gleaming new homes which had replaced the back to back slums (ok, maybe a touch too rosily tinted!) but we certainly had a pride, such as mopping the area of landing, outside our front doors (akin to "Donkey-Stoning the front doorstep in the old houses) but certainly I would mop my front door area right up to moving off in 85/6.

My grandmother found it less pleasant to live there, when the so-called "problem families" were moved onto the flats, and the council seemed reluctant or powerless (you decide) to take any action to make the disruptive tenants "behave" in a less anti social manner.
_______
10-11-2008, 19:49   #9
Plain Talker
Happy Hijaabi

Forum Helper
Sorry, forgot the other question:- what she liked about it?

It was convenient for town, (she grew up near where the university arts tower would be built, so was used to living quite centrally) and the markets.

there was "recreation" "built in" with the bingo in the complex's social centre and there were the four pubs also on the complex.

warm, modern great new facilities, a world away from Tin baths, outside loos, and back-to-back slums,

because many of the people moved onto the flats all came from the same small area, at the time of opening, the sense of community, and community responsibility was nurtured, and to add to that benefit, the continuity "community" of the same people as had lived near you before, living near you once again was good.

the choice of shops at the time, on the complex was fantastic, and with the waste-disposal "garchey" system, which was so innovative, and meant you didn't have hassle disposing of garbage it was "hi-tec living" after a fashion.
_______
11-11-2008, 09:07   #10
wwcrazy

Total Posts: 1,660
My aunt lived on Norwich Row, from memory in the 60s/70s. I used to love going to visit and did have a spell of living there for 9 months while my mother was in hospital.

I remember the lifts reeked of pee, nothing new there I used to like how the footsteps echoed when people walked passed. From her flat you could see the trains going into the station and the christmas lights in town. I remember they had a waste disposal unit and had never seen one of those before.

I went to PH school for a little while and remember it as being very modern, probably 1968ish.
11-11-2008, 09:37   #11
Plain Talker
Happy Hijaabi

Forum Helper
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwcrazy View Post
My aunt lived on Norwich Row, from memory in the 60s/70s. I used to love going to visit and did have a spell of living there for 9 months while my mother was in hospital.

I remember the lifts reeked of pee, nothing new there I used to like how the footsteps echoed when people walked passed. From her flat you could see the trains going into the station and the christmas lights in town. I remember they had a waste disposal unit and had never seen one of those before.

I went to PH school for a little while and remember it as being very modern, probably 1968ish.
The waste disposal was called a "Garchey".

I preferred the PHF lifts to the HPF ones, as the PHF lifts weren't glassed to the outside..(the ones on HPF had big windows in the back of the lift so you could see the ground falling away from you, and it terrified me as a child.) When I was a chiild the lifts didn't smell of pee, so much as the disinfectant "San Izal".

there are some fab pictures of the original park hill school on picturesheffield, it was big, and dark and glowering. it was on the same site as the new school. (that's also now demolished) It looked rather odd, in the middle of this shiny new development.

I used to love to walk all the way down the massive staircase by the shops. When I was old enough, my gran would let me go down the steps on my own, whilst she used the lift, and she'd wait for me at the bottom, and we;d go shopping in the "Stoo-ers" or Fine Fare.

I remember the farm foods shop, by the housing office near the paper shop. My gran would buy a loose 1/2 lb pat of butter from them, which was a pale silvery colour, like Lurpak, rather than yellow, like anchor, and it had been hand shaped.

My gran's flat also overlooked the train station, before the trees got as big as they are now, and the view was fantastic, especially when something special like the Flying Scotsman or the Duchess of Hamilton came to the Sheffield Station!
_______
20-11-2008, 19:18   #12
millsands

Total Posts: 744
i used to live at number 1 long henry row the one that was 4 stories high.. loved the view into sheffield city centre. i never had any problems while i lived there but it was in 1983-1985. only one grip was that you could not turn off the heating.. so it was alwasy red hot lol
20-11-2008, 20:25   #13
Kidorry

Total Posts: 4,594
We lived on the flats from 66 to 70 & they were O.K.It was later when they started putting people in them who did not give a monkeys about other people.
_______
A has been is better than a never will be.
20-11-2008, 20:37   #14
Dave650

Total Posts: 8,453
Recently I'm afraid the only memories are gunpoint situations.
_______
20-11-2008, 21:18   #15
Plain Talker
Happy Hijaabi

Forum Helper
Quote:
Originally Posted by millsands View Post
i used to live at number 1 long henry row the one that was 4 stories high.. loved the view into sheffield city centre. i never had any problems while i lived there but it was in 1983-1985. only one grip was that you could not turn off the heating.. so it was alwasy red hot lol
you must have looked out over the incinerator chimney, to the front, and the school at the back! (and been pretty much above the pub by the shops, the Earl George, or something?)
_______
20-11-2008, 22:08   #16
millsands

Total Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Talker View Post
you must have looked out over the incinerator chimney, to the front, and the school at the back! (and been pretty much above the pub by the shops, the Earl George, or something?)

yep that was it the big chimmney my front door was on the stairs beetween long henry and norwich row. was a good veiw over park square and could even see comercial street and the old sheaf markets from my bedroom. other side looked up duke street
24-12-2008, 14:10   #17
atlex48

Total Posts: 160
Send a message via Yahoo to atlex48
I lived on Parkhill flats with my girlfriend ( now wife ) and it was ok . I lived on Norwich Row ( not saying number in case your the rent man ) lol. no seriously it was a very good complex,a different way of life
24-12-2008, 14:17   #18
tiger1408

Total Posts: 246
i lived on park hill flats back in the 80's i wasnt there very long
it was ok some nice people
the only thing i found wrong with it was the ants and cockroaches i reported them once and a man came around and i showed him one of the cockroaches i caught in a match box he said it was massive also reported ants the stuff they put down was rubbish so i collected a load of ants in a glass jar and took them to the housing and said here now you live with them im leaving
27-12-2008, 09:24   #19
Alan52

Total Posts: 186
Park Hill flats .There were four rows Long Henry,Norwich and I can not think of the other ones.I had a aunt and uncle lived there for years I was always staying with them it must have been the fun of riding up and down in the lifts.
_______
BORN A SHEFFIELDER DIE A SHEFFIELDER
SHEFFIELD HOME OF THE BLADES
27-12-2008, 09:35   #20
hennypenny

Total Posts: 3,110
At Weston Park museum there is a video playing showing Park Hill Flats and with clips from a documentary that was made about them when they were first built. My husbands grandma is on it
_______
:

School is not compulsory www.education-otherwise.org.uk
Reply To Topic