Queuing for Coalite at the Sheffield Canal

Can anyone recall queuing for Coalite, which was supplied and bought at a place opposite to where the Corn Exchange was hit by a incendiary bomb around 1944.

I believe that the small 14lbs Sack's were rationed to One per Person who had waited.

From a distant young memory it may have been from the Hallamshire Coal Merchants.

I've often thought of how did the Coalite get to where it was bought.

Someone did mentioned to me that it was transported up the Sheffield Canal on the Barge named the Ethel. But where did the coalite come from.

The Salvation Army gave out cups of tea/coffee to those waiting.

Has anyone got any photographs of the queue that could be posted?

Can anyone recall queuing for Coalite, which was supplied and bought at a place opposite to where the Corn Exchange was hit by a incendiary bomb around 1944.

The Salvation Army gave out cups of tea/coffee to those waiting.

Has anyone got any photographs of the queue that could be posted?

It was the Hallamshire Coal Co. (which later became Burnett and Hallamshire) I remember watching families queue for the coal on a Saturday morning in that terrible winter of 1946 -47. It was a pittiful sight: lots of kids crying with the cold. It was just like the movies of wartime conditions on the Eastern front.

People came from all over the city because it was one of the few places where you could get fuel: the gas works being the others.

Some had wheel barrows, other prams with the body taken off and replaced with wooden platforms. Anything just to carry a couple of bags of coal.

No pictures I'm affraid. In any event, if somebody had shown up with a camera, I'm certain the people in the queue would have snatched it and ruined the film. Most of the people there were about at the end of their tether. Thats how raw life was that winter.

As for the Salvation Army (SA) I can't recall seeing them but it was the kind of situation where they are usually first to arrive with help.

Regards

It was the Hallamshire Coal Co. (which later became Burnett and Hallamshire) I remember watching families queue for the coal on a Saturday morning in that terrible winter of 1946 -47. It was a pittiful sight: lots of kids crying with the cold. It was just like the movies of wartime conditions on the Eastern front.

People came from all over the city because it was one of the few places where you could get fuel: the gas works being the others.

Some had wheel barrows, other prams with the body taken off and replaced with wooden platforms. Anything just to carry a couple of bags of coal.

No pictures I'm affraid. In any event, if somebody had shown up with a camera, I'm certain the people in the queue would have snatched it and ruined the film. Most of the people there were about at the end of their tether. Thats how raw life was that winter.

As for the Salvation Army (SA) I can't recall seeing them but it was the kind of situation where they are usually first to arrive with help.

Regards

Though of tender years, I was one of those who was in the queue after leaving home on Windy House Lane, Manor, Sheffield at a fairly early hour in the morning.

The Salvation Army did give out hot drinks of what appeared to be tea or coffee. But it has to be remembered that rationing was still in force at the time. I have never forgotten this act of generosity. I always donate to them as much as I'm able when I see them collecting.

I never knew how the Coalite got to the Hallamshire Coal Company on Wharf Street/

Though I know the Sheffield Canal was adjacent but so was the LMS Railway goods yard.

One thing that was certain after we'd stood perishing cold in the queue. After carrying or pushing the sacks up to the top of Dukes Street, we would be sweating as though we'd been to the tropics!! So the Coalite warmed us twice!!

A hard life in some ways, but looking at today's way of life, I'm not envious.

I never knew how the Coalite got to the Hallamshire Coal Company on Wharf Street/

Though I know the Sheffield Canal was adjacent but so was the LMS Railway goods yard.

Hi Albert,

I never knew how Hallamshire got their the coal. There was no room for storage in their buildings:they were just a set of one roomed offices. You came in from the street, took about six paces and you were out the back and into the City Station yard.

I'm pretty sure it didn't come into the City Station Yard. As you mentioned, it was the LMS yards in our day but old timers in my family still refered to it by its original name: London North Western. Very confusing for a youngster.

If I had to guess where Hallamshire got their coal, I would have to say Park Station Yard (LNER). You'll remember that it was at the top of Furnival Road. The entrance was just round the corner - on the other side of the Corn Exchange - not far from Hallamshire's office. Park Station goods traffic was almost all coal.

Regards

Hi Albert,

I never knew how Hallamshire got their the coal. There was no room for storage in their buildings:they were just a set of one roomed offices. You came in from the street, took about six paces and you were out the back and into the City Station yard.

I'm pretty sure it didn't come into the City Station Yard. As you mentioned, it was the LMS yards in our day but old timers in my family still refered to it by its original name: London North Western. Very confusing for a youngster.

If I had to guess where Hallamshire got their coal, I would have to say Park Station Yard (LNER). You'll remember that it was at the top of Furnival Road. The entrance was just round the corner - on the other side of the Corn Exchange - not far from Hallamshire's office. Park Station goods traffic was almost all coal.

Regards

I'll try to get hold of a old map and scan the area that we are referring to.

These days not much of it is left. From memory, directly at the bottom of Dukes Street was the L.M.S. Goods yard. It was a fairly large area too.

Turning left toward the Rag & Tag Market then crossing the road at its junction with South Street was Wharf Street.

We queued on the right hand side of here. The old burnt out Corn Exchange was on the left. The Coalite office was near where the road turned sharp left. On this short stretch was the opening to the Sheffield Canal then on the right Blacks Coal Merchant's Office situated on a sloping wide road that ran up to the LNER Goods Yard. Furnival Road would have been next but I can't remember going down their only up the road that lead to Victoria Station (LNER). Trains left here via Woodhead to Manchester.

Did you know Mr Burnett at the Coal Merchants?

Someone did mentioned to me that it was transported up the Sheffield Canal on the Barge named the Ethel. QUOTE]

'Ethel' or part of her (the hull) may still be working on the canal network today,

It would be interesting to find out 'If' this is her?

m&p :)

I'll try to get hold of a old map and scan the area that we are referring to.

There's a map here...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Taidi/canal.jpg

this is 1905. Note the rail line that cuts through the word 'Midland' in the top right hand corner was the direct line from Nunnery pit.

Someone did mentioned to me that it was transported up the Sheffield Canal on the Barge named the Ethel. QUOTE]

'Ethel' or part of her (the hull) may still be working on the canal network today,

It would be interesting to find out 'If' this is her?

You have got the Ethel. During the time that I orgnised the team relay raft race during 1970 - 1982. The Ethel was based in the Canal Basin prior to it being spruced up by the relevant Trust. I believe at that time, it was used under supervision of ( (Barry ?) I think his name was, he lived on a boat, in the basin ) for young people on Community Service.

Please try to find your contact regarding the barge transporting the Coalite. It would be interesting to know where it came from.

My memories are of feeling almost frozen with little food inside me, whilst waiting in that long queue.

There's a map here...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Taidi/canal.jpg

this is 1905. Note the rail line that cuts through the word 'Midland' in the top right hand corner was the direct line from Nunnery pit.

First thank you for the map which shows the area where the first secretary of the Sheffield Labour Party and founder of the Sheffield Clarion Ramblers G.H.B Ward lived in his younger days. His father preached at St John's

However in my own younger days (1945) a slight alteration had been made close to the canal basin and the LNER Station had been removed to the top of Victoria Approach though the goods yard was still their. Park Street had come into being and the roadway near the Canal Basin altered.

I had an old bike, sit up and beg handlebars and 28in wheels. I remember cycling down to Brightside gas works for a bag of coke, people were lined up for this coke, it seemed to me I got a larger bag for one reason or another, I had to position this bag through the frame so that it was resting on the chain and pedals which made it impossible to ride. Anyway, had to push one heavy load back home to Grimesthorpe.

Please try to find your contact regarding the barge transporting the Coalite. It would be interesting to know where it came from.

Looks like you could have missed the link that I put in my last post Albert?

Here it is again .. 'ETHEL' and take

a look through the 'Ethel Photo Gallery', some photos in there of the barge under Construction .

Looks like you could have missed the link that I put in my last post Albert?

Here it is again .. 'ETHEL' and take

a look through the 'Ethel Photo Gallery', some photos in there of the barge under Construction .

I hadn't missed it, I hadn't read it correctly. - Thanks.

First photo - Ethel 1 & 3 Construction.

I'm almost sure that the man I knew who lived at the Canal Basin was called ' Brian ' and I feel sure on the photo, he is standing up at the back of the Barge at or near Tinsley Locks.

When I knew Ethel at the Canal Basin, really she was ready for the scrap yard.

Though someone did mention to me something about the Trust.

Thanks for the link and I'll have a good read of it.