Sheffield Forum

Blackpool Tower sized windfarms

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

10-07-2008, 21:51   #1
daisymom

Total Posts: 22
Please stop Barnsley Council allowing one of the biggest windfarms ever built in Britain and destroying Sheffield's beautiful countryside. This proposal is on Barnsley land but affects Stocksbridge and Deepcar hugely. Sheffield must wake up to what Barnsley MBC is up to.
In May 2008 a planning application was submitted to Barnsley MBC for the erection of five 410ft (125m) wind turbines across the hillside between the Stocksbridge valley and Penistone. They will be sited from the top of Underbank Lane across the hill to Cranberry Crossroads and beyond visible by everyone on the opposite side of the valley in Stocksbridge, Deepcar and Midhopestones.
The proposed wind turbines are HUGE, and will be some of the biggest in the country. To put it into perspective, each turbine will be nearly the height of Blackpool Tower! In a local context they are almost 2 times bigger than those already sited at Royd Moor on the way to Huddersfield. This means digging out the earth to site them, destroying wildlife (badgers, bat, birds) and widening roads to get the structures in. They'll distract motorists on one of Britain's most dangerous roads and shouldn't be permitted. The action group which has been founded is not against green energy - just in the right place.
Anyone wanting more info should check out the Protect Sheephouse Heights website or PM me for links.
to find out how to object before its too late.
10-07-2008, 21:54   #2
cgksheff

Total Posts: 22,490
http://www.protectsheephouseheights.co.uk/

http://www.sheephouseheightswindfarm...e-your-say.asp

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Height...ant.4229478.jp

Last edited by cgksheff; 10-07-2008 at 21:56.
10-07-2008, 22:03   #3
Hook

Total Posts: 3,095
a) they're beautiful
b) it's better for the environment than building another coal-powered station.

I'm for it.
10-07-2008, 22:06   #4
Fantomas

Total Posts: 1,081
Me too - sorry people but I really don't see the problem.
_______
\m/ (*_*) \m/
10-07-2008, 22:09   #5
Hook

I've registered my support with both the company planning to erect the windfarm and the council.
10-07-2008, 22:15   #6
daisymom

Total Posts: 22
Get real. If you want our countryside to be destroyed then go ahead. These windfarms are ineffective and in other parts of Europe (which woke upto green power long before us) they're turning back to more traditional power methods. These things just don't do the job. It might ease your green conscience and it might meet eco quotas for hard-pressed councils but other than that it's a big, fat waste of time at a huge environmental expense.
10-07-2008, 22:16   #7
Alastair

Total Posts: 4,286
I'll be objecting, I hate those windfarms in areas of natural beauty.
10-07-2008, 22:16   #8
Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymom View Post
Get real. If you want our countryside to be destroyed then go ahead. These windfarms are ineffective and in other parts of Europe (which woke upto green power long before us) they're turning back to more traditional power methods. These things just don't do the job. It might ease your green conscience and it might meet eco quotas for hard-pressed councils but other than that it's a big, fat waste of time at a huge environmental expense.
Facts to back that up please. Would also appreciate if you kept the insults out of it. We're allowed to have different opinions I'm afraid, the world would be a very boring place if we didn't.
10-07-2008, 22:18   #9
libuse

Total Posts: 1,647
Quote:
They'll distract motorists on one of Britain's most dangerous roads and shouldn't be permitted.
They possibly shouldn't be on the road if they can't drive past a few tall structures without losing control of their vehicles? Personally I'd rather have wind farms than most other forms of electricity generation.
10-07-2008, 22:27   #10
Longcol

Total Posts: 14,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
Not wonderfully beautiful up there and very rarely (if ever) visited. Seems like a good idea to me. Not that visible from Deepcar and a fair bit of Stocksbridge.
_______
Helping people escape from Rovvrum since 1991.
10-07-2008, 22:31   #11
Kristian
Bincing Beast

Total Posts: 4,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
Natural beauty? It's overlooking Stocksbridge, and therefore most probably the steel works; I wouldn't call that an area of natural beauty.

More power to their elbow I say. It's got to be a lot better than a nuclear power station in the area.
10-07-2008, 22:35   #12
Longcol

Quote:
They will be sited from the top of Underbank Lane across the hill to Cranberry Crossroads and beyond visible by everyone on the opposite side of the valley in Stocksbridge, Deepcar and Midhopestones.
Locals call it Midhope (pronounced Mid-up) - Midhopestones is name used by the would be Hebden Bridge set.
_______
10-07-2008, 22:43   #13
Grissom
Blood 'n' Bugs

Total Posts: 4,528
I'm all for the turbines. Have completed the survey

These rubber-necking drivers should be taken off the road if they're that dopey. It'd be better for the environment too
10-07-2008, 22:44   #14
probedb

Total Posts: 5,670
The wildlife will recover....nature is good like that. Distract motorists? How so?
10-07-2008, 22:46   #15
ptigga

Total Posts: 950
If the windfarms proove to be as ineffective as you believe them to be then they will be dismantled leaving nothing more than the concrete plinths, which will be broken up by weeds in a few years.
10-07-2008, 22:49   #16
cgksheff

Total Posts: 22,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptigga View Post
If the windfarms proove to be as ineffective as you believe them to be then they will be dismantled .....
...or, more likely, continue to be maintained at public expense to satisfy various political ambitions.
10-07-2008, 22:54   #17
Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgksheff View Post
...or, more likely, continue to be maintained at public expense to satisfy various political ambitions.
Yet nobody has provided any statistics to prove that they are ineffective and not worth their salt.
10-07-2008, 22:55   #18
Hook

Here's some info that supports wind farms and proves they're an effective form of sustainable technology:
http://www.withouthotair.com/
10-07-2008, 22:55   #19
Longcol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgksheff View Post
Are any currently being maintained at public expense?
_______
10-07-2008, 23:12   #20
I1L2T3

Total Posts: 13,746
Hopefully we'll have more of these in S Yorks. We live in one of the windiest areas in the country and have enough potential wind farm sits to supply a sizeable portion of off-peak demand. More please. But not in my back yard
Reply To Topic