Don't you hate it when they are in pain (pets)

Rhia (my horse) isn't having a good time of it at the moment and I hate seeing her like this.

She has been lame on and off for a couple of months. Xrays have shown she has some bone change in a joint. Nothing too serious and with some rest and medication it should settle the inflamation and she will be feeling a lot better. She has been so bored not being able to go out on adventures, I have too. I've also had to put a muzzle on, to restrict how much she can eat. Without exercise she can't burn off all the grass she would normally eat so she has to eat through a little hole instead. Her getting even more overweight will cause more problems like lami, and putting extra strain on the joint :( as you can imagine, she isn't happy!

On Monday she had the magic jab, not nice. A needle straight into the actual joint. :o:suspect: she was really good though (better than I would have been, I would have caused the vet some damage). Only problem was, she had a severe reaction to the drug and her leg blew up like a balloon. Really hot and puffy :( She could hardly put it to the ground and was really uncomfortable. I hosed it down to try and take away some swelling, and called the out of hours vet. He came and said that she had had a very severe reaction, which happened very rarely and there isn't much he could do except give her pain killers and antibiotics. The swelling has started to go down now, but it's been horrid, seeing her in so much pain, knowing it was because of our interference, and not being able to do anything! :| She has been so so good through it all too, I just hope she is on the mend now.

Poor Rhia!! :(

Have they given you any idea of how successful they think this treatment will be Jess?

The vet thinks that with rest and this jab, it is highly likely she will become sound again. We just aren't sure if it will have any effect at all now it has actually made her worse. The vet seemed hopeful though... Just have to wait and see. She was actually showing signs of improvement before the jab, through rest.

it's amazing the power of healing that rest has isn't it? Sometimes we forget that bodies are meant to do that themselves to some extent

I hate it when my pets are in pain. When Tiger-Lily tore a ligament in her leg I took her to the vets and the vet pulled and twisted and poked to the point she urinated everywhere. He, in my opinion, was far too rough with her. He made a point of being dramatic in the waiting room when a dog had to be put down. He told evryone in the waiting room that some people were too fussy about their animals. I felt so sorry for the owners of the dog, who were obviously distressed.

Bit off topic, sorry!

Hope Rhia gets better soon Jess!!

I hope you've changed your vets since laurajill!!

Its horrid when they are ill, I worry to death and sure I make the situation worse!

I hope you've changed your vets since laurajill!!

Same here, I would be fuming if my vet/s were like that (I actually use 3 different ones for different animals) All I am more than happy with.

Thanks for your well wishes everyone :) they seem to be working, her swelling is going down and she seems a lot more comfortable and happy. She even seems a little less lame so fingers crossed :)

Poor Rhia, hope she does come sound, she's soooooo pretty!!

Cheesecake my yearling filly is lame at the moment, she banged herself on Thursday night in the stable and grazed her hock. At first I thought it was the hock that was hurting her but there's no swelling or heat. But she's limping like a coot and now I think she may have a hoof abcess. But I tried to have a look myself and pared away a bit of her sole but nothing doing. Not being an expert I have poulticed it anyway and am going to get the vet out in the morning. Poor Cheesy! She's such a little soldier. She's also wearing a rug for the first time tonight, just a fleece and looks sooooooooo cute in it. I'll get a pic of her in it in the morning :)

Aw poor Cheesecake, hope she is feeling better today :) hoof abscesses are a pain in the arse!

well it wasn't a hoof abcess, she may have a broken stifle!!!!! So huge vet bills coming my way! All fingers and toes crossed that it's just soft tissue damage and that it heals. She's on bute for the pain but if there is no improvement over the next few days then it's x-rays and then god only knows what. How's she's managed it in a small stable on her own I have no idea. Oh well, I didn't want to save for a rainy day anyway! lol

:(

Hell Jess, your poor girl. Hope you had a fab ride.

Ouch Jobi-wan. Hows Cheesy doing?