Disappointing Secondary Placement

Please note this thread is 3 years old.

Anyone had there letter this morning about Secondary Placements?

We got our letter today and we are devastated, We put down

1st King Edwards

2nd King Ecgberts

3rd Newfield ( only because its our catchment school)

We have been given a place at Newfield, much to our disgust. My son has slight dyslexia and has been struggling lately, he has been working really hard with some extra help to make it through his sats, to send him to Newfield would be a disaster.

This school has been issued with a "notice to improve".

We will be appealing, although probably not do any good. Our only other option now is to consider moving house, to try get better school.

Edited by rainbow sky

I'd try and get in up at King Ted's, it's quite a posh School (I've seen their uniforms) but anywhere would be better than Newfield for a kid with ANY form of disability IMO, and I hate to say it but dyslexia is classed as a disability.

Ecgberts,edwards,silverdale and highstorrs are all schools I'd go to if I had to do it all again...not sure about newfield or abbeydale

Rich - King Ted's ain't that posh and has no uniforms.

Who are Newfield feuding with at the moment? Gleadless Valley's gone now (been gone nearly 13 years now) so there's not really any other Schools up that way for them to barney with.

We got our letter today and we are devastated.

We have been given a place at Newfield, much to our disgust.

Can I ask why such disgust at Newfield? Only, about 8 years ago, I know that people who didn't put Newfield as their first choice, didn't get offered a place, as they had waiting lists. As it really gone down hill that much in that space of time?

Can I ask why such disgust at Newfield? Only, about 8 years ago, I know that people who didn't put Newfield as their first choice, didn't get offered a place, as they had waiting lists. As it really gone down hill that much in that space of time?

Search the archives on here DIVA, and you'll discover that, well, to say Newfield is a bit rough, would be like saying the Atlantic Ocean's a bit damp.

Its ofsted report is terrible and I attended a meeting a couple of months ago and was told they have been given 18 months to pull their socks up, and if not the next step is special measures!!

There seems to be a lot of bullying at this school and a lot of coming and going with teachers.

I know there is a new building in progress and surely this will make a difference but I am just trying to get my son off to the best start I can and I honestly believe its not at Newfield.

I'd try and get in up at King Ted's, it's quite a posh School (I've seen their uniforms) but anywhere would be better than Newfield for a kid with ANY form of disability IMO, and I hate to say it but dyslexia is classed as a disability.

"Posh schools" don't necessarily provide better educational opportunities for pupils with special needs, or any other pupils for that matter, and nice uniforms don't make a good school either. I would suggest visiting a school, talking to parents of children and children who attend there (by the way, not just the kids that the Headteacher hand picks to show you round!).

We got our letter today and we are devastated, We put down

1st King Edwards

2nd King Ecgberts

3rd Newfield ( only because its our catchment school)

We have been given a place at Newfield, much to our disgust. My son has slight dyslexia and has been struggling lately, he has been working really hard with some extra help to make it through his sats, to send him to Newfield would be a disaster.

This school has been issued with a "notice to improve".

We will be appealing, although probably not do any good. Our only other option now is to consider moving house, to try get better school.

Have you thought about home education? It is not compulsory to send your child to a state school.

If you are interested in alternatives pm me. My son is enrolled with an internet school and loves it.

Its ofsted report is terrible and I attended a meeting a couple of months ago and was told they have been given 18 months to pull their socks up, and if not the next step is special measures!!

There seems to be a lot of bullying at this school and a lot of coming and going with teachers.

I know there is a new building in progress and surely this will make a difference but I am just trying to get my son off to the best start I can and I honestly believe its not at Newfield.

It sounds like you've really looked into the possibility and I can understand your conclusions from the evidence you've found and your disappointment. I hope that things work out for the best for you and your son.

Not 100% sure but you may be able to appeal, stating your reasons etc