IMPORTANT NEWS...

As previously warned, Sheffield Forum is changing to new software - view the preview here

This is scheduled for Sunday 18th Nov. The forum will be closed and unavailable an extended period of time (24-36 hours) to allow for this major transition.

Please note that some private messages will not be transferred. Therefore we strongly urge you to take manual back-ups of any important messages now.
Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Why do they call you "Mr Fahrenheit"?

Home > General > General Discussions > I'm Bored!

Topic Closed

04-02-2008, 12:51   #1
BasilRathbon

Total Posts: 15,094
There's a line in the song "Don't Stop Me Now" by 1970s rockers Queen in which Freddie Mercury yells "200 degrees, that's why they call me Mr Fahrenheit". Now, I'm the last person in the world to be pedantic, but surely if Mr Mercury's body temperature is 200 degrees, he is seriously ill and, should seek immediate medical attention? Indeed, further on in the song he threatens to explode so he's clearly aware of his condition.

The irony of course is that the title of the song "Don't Stop Me Now" is acutally the last advice a medical professional ould give. They'd probably say "Stop immediately, Mr Mercury - you need to go straight to hospital!"

And we wonder why kids who were educated in the 1970s are so ignorant of science and medicine.....
_______
Wanna see Basil's vaguely interesting photos? Visit "Basil's Travels"

Wanna hear Basil's reasonably enjoyable music? Head for www.myspace.com/planetsoddingbliss.

04-02-2008, 12:54   #2
NEKRO138

Total Posts: 7,036
Send a message via MSN to NEKRO138
Maybe the fact that Mr Mercury can withstand temperatures of 200 degrees makes him unstoppable.

However, the fact that mercury has a very low melting point would suggest that he would just be a blob on the floor, not matter what his conditioning is.

In this instance, all that would be needed to stop him is a glass beaker of some sort.
_______
...---...

04-02-2008, 13:07   #3
Tricky

Total Posts: 4,415
He also claimed to be "... a racing car passing by like Lady Godiva".

I have been a keen fan of motor racing for many years but I have yet to observe the similarities between a modern day formula one car and a naked woman on a horse.

The man was clearly on drugs.

04-02-2008, 13:09   #4
Tricky

Total Posts: 4,415
I thought as much,

"...I'm floating around in ecstasy"

I rest my case.

04-02-2008, 18:56   #5
Waltheof

Total Posts: 5,311
would have been even worse if he'd been Mr Celsius!
_______
"History is bunk"--Henry Ford, now part of history...

04-02-2008, 20:41   #6
bigben

Total Posts: 263
Send a message via AIM to bigben
or even mr centigrade
_______
EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES THATS WHY THEY PUT RUBBERS ON PENCILS

04-02-2008, 20:49   #7
Jabberwocky
Grim Creeper

Total Posts: 29,724
Send a message via MSN to Jabberwocky
The line "Im having a ball" worries me slightly, What use could he possibly get from making love to a spherical object?

04-02-2008, 21:01   #8
pattricia
Miss Moneypenny

Total Posts: 76,216
This is my favourite Queen song. Im sure fahrenheit is put in to rhyme with "the speed of light" isnt it ?
_______
I Dont Mind Having A Bad Reputation --As Long As Ive Had The Pleasure Of Earning It.

04-02-2008, 21:06   #9
Jabberwocky
Grim Creeper

And thats another thing.

Travelling at the speed of light? Id say a certain Herr Eintsein might have a thing or two to say about that.

04-02-2008, 21:17   #10
teddie

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 3,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
And thats another thing.

Travelling at the speed of light? Id say a certain Herr Eintsein might have a thing or two to say about that.
Bet Bill Gates can though! He can do anything

04-02-2008, 22:11   #11
Joto
English Rose

Total Posts: 26,185
Just a thought Freddies body temperature could well be 200 now that he's dead, just depends on what direction he went !

04-02-2008, 22:12   #12
Jabberwocky
Grim Creeper

Wasnt his real name Bulsaria?

I wonder if he was a great uncle to anyone...

05-02-2008, 11:02   #13
BasilRathbon

Total Posts: 15,094
Actually, I'm wondering now if Mercury's reference to 200 degrees doesn't actually relate to temperature at all; maybe he was a really intelligent chap who gained 200 degree qualifications from universities across the world?

Admittedly the theory may at first seem illogical; if the average degree course lasts three years it would have taken Mercury 600 years to acquite his 200 degrees and this also assumes that he didn't fail any of the exams. However, many universities award "honorary" degrees to celebrities or other notable people who'd in some way contributed to the quality of life in their city.

Queen played many concerts across the world and it's a fair bet that the majority of the cities they played would have had a university. Thus if a significant number had awarded Mercury an honorary degree to thank him for bringing his band to play their concert hall, he could well have acquired 200 degrees over the course of his lifetime prior to writing "Don't Stop Me Now".

Unfortuantely this theory doesn't explain why, as a conseuquence of the number of degree qualifications he held, Mercury was referred to as "Mr Fahrenheit", unless of course the majority of his degrees were given for services to a branch of science such as Meteorology.
_______
Wanna see Basil's vaguely interesting photos? Visit "Basil's Travels"

Wanna hear Basil's reasonably enjoyable music? Head for www.myspace.com/planetsoddingbliss.

02-10-2009, 18:42   #14
PiroXick

Total Posts: 1
I Think he saw simply referring to how hot he is, or "Good Looking". He was using slang. Silly people. Yea he was sick but I think he was meaning to say that he's alright and he doesn't want to be stopped and he's good looking. Perhaps?

Topic Closed